How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-19-2006, 05:11 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
How much did the AC conversion/charge cost you?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I'm strongly against using any form of radiator leak sealent. Previous owner used it in my car and it plugged the hole to the overflow container enough that it acted like a one way valve. Coolent would get into the overflow but could not get back to the radiator.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:54 PM

I've heard bad stories about radiator sealent, notably, that plugging thing. so i blew the pipe out, and it was still freeflowing, so no worries.

The r-134 conversion was free. My uncle has all the evacuation equipment, and we have charging equipment for r-134.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Well, I took my car over to my mechanic and checked out the extent of the oil leaking.... it's EVERYWHERE. both valve covers are leaking oil, and it appears to be leaking from several other places as well (though I can't be sure yet, I need to get the valve cover gaskets replaced first.)

So, i'm leaving it with my shop and praying that he can fix it without too much trouble (since i'm too busy pulling the gas tank off a 240sx at the moment)
Old 06-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr240sx
Well, I took my car over to my mechanic and checked out the extent of the oil leaking.... it's EVERYWHERE. both valve covers are leaking oil, and it appears to be leaking from several other places as well (though I can't be sure yet, I need to get the valve cover gaskets replaced first.)

So, i'm leaving it with my shop and praying that he can fix it without too much trouble (since i'm too busy pulling the gas tank off a 240sx at the moment)
Multiple engine oil leaks, are often caused by a blocked PCV valve.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr240sx

don't worry too much - most oil leaks are gonna be either valve cover or front main seal and cam seals - all which are easily fixed in the driveway and should be a walk in the park for a decent mechanic.
Rear main seal requires dropping the tranny which is a little harder but leaking there isn't very common. In the meantime just keep an eye on the dipstick and you should be fine.

And as Harvey said excess crank case pressure due to a clogged pcv will make any leak much worse.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:03 PM

I love my mechanic ^_^ he washed the engine, and checked the oil leaks, it's just the studs holding the valve covers on... bad o-rings (i couldn't tell, since my pressure washer dosen't work, and his does) And apparantly it's been leaking for a LONG time, so it coated everything. on the plus side, when he got it up on the lift, i looked on the underside of the car, not a spec of rust ANYWHERE.

He's going to just replace both the valve cover gaskets and all the o-rings, just to be on the safe side, since when I'm in washington, I won't have access to any more than BASIC tools, and don't want a leak to spring up on me.

It's too funny, since I go to the same mechanic for everything, and he also happens to be a friend of mine, he talks about my cars to the guys he gets parts from, and they all know me via the third person (Colin, or the tall skinny kid who works on computers)

So, at the moment, It's getting it's valve covers repaired, and then I take it in to get the tires patched (tiny leaks in the ones on the left side) and have them replace the rear right lug stud (it's stripped on the tip) then comes time for a new tint job, and a new switch cover for the driv'er sisde power window switches, and then the car should be cherry.

He's also going to do the timing belt, since I'm too busy to do it myself, since I'm working on the fuel system on a '91 240sx and rebuilding the axle CV joint on my '95

It's so incredibly awesome making good friends with a fully certified mechanic who owns his shop. I get charged for almost nothing, and he does te best work i've ever seen.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
when he does the timing belt have him do the front main seal and cam seals. They are easy to do if you have the timing belts already off. The parts cost next to nothing but if you skip them they will inevitably start leaking about 2 days after he does the timing belt.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:55 PM

water pump seal leaked, so we replaced that. both cam seals leaked, and the cam caps leaked, so we're replacing those. every single possible seal at the front i'm going ahead and replacing.

This car isn't in as good condition as i was led to believe. oh well, it's not terribly expensive to repair, and the tranny is good.