Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-13-2006, 07:14 PM

Finally got an svx. QUESTIONS

Alright, i finally got myself a '92 Darkk teal LSL. BONE stock, aside from the wheels were chromed (ugly, i'm powdercoating them gunmetal later) and it only has a few flaws. the exterior is insane, you wouldn't expect much better from an '05. the interior is ok-good. a smoker's car, a few tiny stains here and there, the leather is awesome, aside from the driver's side seat being torn badly enough on the left bolster to warrant replacing. the door panels and everything aside from that seat is great, and all the glass is in tip-top shape. The engine is a beast. dead silent at idle, no ticking or anything, and makes one HELL of a good noise when it gets on it.

it wouldn't start when I got it without a jump, but after jumping it and testing the alternator (still good) i just replaced the battery and the starting problem went right away.

120k miles, too. not bad for a 15 year old car.

The tranny shifts perfectly, all the gears work smoothly, ebrake works like a charm, manual shift still works, it even manages to spin all 4 tires when you stand on it from a stop

torquey little motor...

Only bad with the motor is this: the radiator is messed up. the top endtank is broken pretty badly. and i don't understand how, since the engine bay is clean as hell, no fluids leak, and there are no signs of any accident or such.

now the bad

The driver's side sun visor won't stay up, so i had to remove it... any ideas on where to get a new one?

The moonroof has a little trouble lifting. a gentle push on it and it'll open right up and keep opening just fine, and close just fine, but the motor is a little weak...

The a/c is BONE DRY. i need to recharge it

The only rust spot ANYWHERE on the car is on the doorjam. where the door limiter (the part that lets the door open only to a certain point) is rusty as hell. i'm going to get it welded.

The switchpanel (all the plastic bits that go over the electronics) on the driver's side panel is so sucky, i took it out. all the windows work, i just need to replace the plastic

It was a smoker's car, and thusly, needs a ****ing GOOD cleaning

paid 3k for it ^_^

ok, now for the questions:

I need a new driver's seat, that plastic bit (and all the switches) and a driver's side sunvisor.

Also, I don't have the remote for the car, just the key. when I lock the car, it engages the security, and when I unlock it with the key, the car wants to turn on the alarm! >_> how do i disengage the alarm when i unlock the car and open the door, without starting the damn car?

I basically need a link to the owner's manual for the thing as well. this car has so many damn things on it, i don't have a CLUE what to do... i'm used to a stereo, sometimes a/c, and headlights... not this power assisted rear wheel steering, ABS, 4 speed automatic crap!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
You can check out the How-To documents to try to fix your sunvisor. Its worth a shot, they arent cheap to replace. I paid 60 for mine and that was the best deal I could find outside of stealing one. As for all the other stuff, ill make someone else answer it. I personally dont have the security thingey. As for an owners manual, Im sure that there is one posted somewhere, or one for sale...or something.If not, youll figure out what everything does in due time
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Ren-Ma Osu

Congratulations. Sound like a great car. Post some photos.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:35 PM

Another question. the passenger side works fine, but the driver's side mousebelt is set to the door open position and dosen't function anymore.

mousebelts is the nickname for the automatic restraint system, if i'm not mistaken

I had this problem on my first 240sx ('89-94 had mousebelts as well) but it stayed in the door closed position so i (stupidly) just plugged the belt in and out, my '91 240's belts worked jsut fine, and my '95 has 4 point racing harnesses.

I heard somewhere that by law, any manufacturer that offered these types of seatbelts were required to repair them free of charge if the mechanism ever failed. is this true? because I want to know before I take it to a subie dealer and get charged 500 bucks for getting my restraint fixed, when I can install a real seatbelt system for free.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
spins all four tires? the car either has bald tires or you're nailing the gas with the car sitting in a gravel driveway
Welcome to the SVX family
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-13-2006, 09:47 PM

well, not so much spins, but chirps em pretty damn well. :-)

my 240 will roast the rears >_>

Last edited by Sr240sx; 06-13-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Alarm

Try the "Security" button on the top row, next to the left side of the Steering column.

That should take care of the auto-arming feature.

Mine is a June '91, and has the button.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:54 PM
One teal and One yellow

Congrat to you, finally!

You managed to spin 4 wheels? Wow! I had a problem to do that on my
SVX with stock ratio tranny.

Do you still have stock tranny? On fourth gear, 3k rpm, what is your spd?

You may as well properly convert your freon to R134a, it won't cost too
much.

Good luck, post some pics. Make your SVX looking good or prettier than
your 240

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 06-14-2006, 01:05 PM

making my svx prettier than my 240 would cost me well over 20 grand.

I still need some info on the mousebelts!
Old 06-14-2006, 01:12 PM

yeah, it is the stock tranny. the car is bone stock, though the motor seems to be excellently cared for.

and My uncle can evacuate a/c systems, so i'm gonnqa have him evacuate the system, then charge it with r134a

Last edited by Sr240sx; 06-14-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:34 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Somewhere in the vast reaches of the internet the entire set of Subaru Service Manuals (for repairs, etc) are available in .pdf form for 3 months for like $20. You could access them and save them, or maybe someone already has. If you just want the normal manual, there's not much info in there you couldn't figure out on your own.

Try to fix your sunvisor first, if it doesnt work, then just use velcro or something so you don't need to spend $100 on one.

The alarm can be disabled by pressing the Security button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

I believe you may be correct on the free belt restraint repair.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-15-2006, 01:15 AM

I took the car into a radiator shop (i am too damn lazy to try and guy a skyline radiator and fabricate mounts for it) and went all over town and the internet, and could not get my hands on a radiator. lots of places said Dealer only, but I heard Silla makes one... anywho, i found ONE online, after calling their warehouse, but they want SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS for it... piss off, i'll elarn to weld aluminum and make myself a new end tank before i pay that much. so I took it to the radiator shop, and they're going to custom fabricate me one for about 300... anyways, the real question is this:

When I was turning into the place, I noticed my power steering being very difficult. I can't check more into the matter as of yet, but I think that ethier the power steering pump went bad as i was turning into the radiator shop, or it was all in my head.

I'm afraid of new cars... all sorts of **** goes wrong with them right after I buy them and then I spend hundreds of hours fixing/fabricating because i'm too cheap to take it to a shop.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:59 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr240sx
I took the car into a radiator shop (i am too damn lazy to try and guy a skyline radiator and fabricate mounts for it) and went all over town and the internet, and could not get my hands on a radiator. lots of places said Dealer only, but I heard Silla makes one... anywho, i found ONE online, after calling their warehouse, but they want SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS for it... piss off, i'll elarn to weld aluminum and make myself a new end tank before i pay that much. so I took it to the radiator shop, and they're going to custom fabricate me one for about 300... anyways, the real question is this:

When I was turning into the place, I noticed my power steering being very difficult. I can't check more into the matter as of yet, but I think that ethier the power steering pump went bad as i was turning into the radiator shop, or it was all in my head.

I'm afraid of new cars... all sorts of **** goes wrong with them right after I buy them and then I spend hundreds of hours fixing/fabricating because i'm too cheap to take it to a shop.
Check out the SVXipedia at www.svx-iw.com and look up the Power Steering O-Ring replacement to see if that helps.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 PM

Power steering was fine, and all just in my head. But THE funniest thing happened to me today

I was looking for the scottsdale subie dealership (everyone says to never even bother with subaru dealerships, they gouge the hell out of you, but I was desparate and decided to see if they could ship one in for me) and chanced upon a backwater subie-volkswagen dealership. i asked for their parts guy, but he had left for the day not five minutes before we got there. Damn. So I got his card and called him up this morning, and asked if he could get an SVX radiator for me. here was the conversation:

Me: "Hi, I'm looking for the radiator for a '92 SVX"
Him: "Okay... Don't even know if we still make those... i'm hoping for you."
Me: "Yeah, I know, parts are impossible to find"
Him: "wow... holy hell, I have one in stock."
Me: "You're ****ting me."
Him: "Nope, 400 bucks, and I'd be glad to sell it to you. Come pick it up!"

... So I chance upon a backwater subaru dealership that happens to have the one part I need IN STOCK, for less than ANYONE else can get it for me... AWESOME! tommorrow I pick it up, and convert the A/C system to R-134A

Also, I was checking things out, and opened up the glove box only to find the ORIGIONAL '92 svx owner's manual, and a complete set of records about the car's service history o_o this car has never had anything go wrong with it...
Old 06-19-2006, 04:02 PM

Air conditioning system is converted and charged, blowing 44 degree air out of the vents within two minutes at full tilt ^_^

New radiator is in, and there was a small peripheral leak, but a bottle of stopleak radiator sealent fixed that.

Now, all there is to do is get that new switch panel for the driver's side, get new window tinting, and figure out where it's leaking oil from. then i have every idea that this car'll be a great washington driver.

Last edited by Sr240sx; 06-19-2006 at 05:02 PM.