Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2006, 01:39 PM
4AGeaZy-E

Thinking about an SVX, what to expect?

Hi guys. I'm a newb here. I've been lusting for an SVX ever since I first laid eyes on one as an impressionable 13 year old at the '92 Chicago Auto Show. I'm seriously considering selling my '89 MR2 and diving in head first to this SVX hobby... but I've got a lot of questions first. I know that going from a mid engined go cart to an AWD luxo-sports car is going to be an eye opening experience, but is there still dyanmic thrills to be had? What does the car handle like, how's the steering, the ride, the body control? Is it tossable, throttle steerable, neutral and all those other fun things? Or will it's rareness, quirkiness, flat six-ness and inherent coolness have to suffice for my transportation giggles? I don't mind spending some cash modding a car to my tastes, and if I do end up buying one a manual swap and some suspension work are definitely on the to-do list, how do these cars take to said mods? I really appreciate any advice you guys have for me, thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Do a search. Spend a few hours reading things, youll come up with everything you need to know.
Basicly, the car handles nice. its heavy, but pretty close to neutral (Mild understeer) Gets a bit of body roll, but all in all the suspension is a great balence between ride quality and proformance. The aformentioned manual swap and suspension work are guarenteed ways to make the car handle its best. Little input here, seems the two best manual trannies to use are the 05 and up wrx 5 speeds, or the more expensive sti 6 speed. The best suspension set up Ive experienced in person was the Koni struts with ground controll coilovers. 90 miles an hour around a reasonably tight corner and the car layed perfectly flat.
The car's rareness and design will grow on you immensly if it hasnt already. Youll probly have an easier time getting used to the cars looks than the looks your car will get.
Either way, if you were planning on doing a manual swap, its pretty easy to find SVXi with blown transmissions for next to nothing. Hopefully if you go the svx route you enjoy it
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-28-2006, 05:33 PM
4AGeaZy-E

Trust me, the looks are a large part of the appeal to me... Citroens and Tatras are my other aesthetic ideals, yeah I like strange cars. Thanks for the reply and very funny signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Do a search. Spend a few hours reading things, youll come up with everything you need to know.
Basicly, the car handles nice. its heavy, but pretty close to neutral (Mild understeer) Gets a bit of body roll, but all in all the suspension is a great balence between ride quality and proformance. The aformentioned manual swap and suspension work are guarenteed ways to make the car handle its best. Little input here, seems the two best manual trannies to use are the 05 and up wrx 5 speeds, or the more expensive sti 6 speed. The best suspension set up Ive experienced in person was the Koni struts with ground controll coilovers. 90 miles an hour around a reasonably tight corner and the car layed perfectly flat.
The car's rareness and design will grow on you immensly if it hasnt already. Youll probly have an easier time getting used to the cars looks than the looks your car will get.
Either way, if you were planning on doing a manual swap, its pretty easy to find SVXi with blown transmissions for next to nothing. Hopefully if you go the svx route you enjoy it
Old 05-28-2006, 06:14 PM
<<<Alcyone

"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition"

Quoted from: Monty Python's Flying Circus and Mel Brooks's film 'History of the World, Part I'. I prefer the latter.

Dan
Old 05-28-2006, 06:32 PM
4AGeaZy-E

Good lord! That was random!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition"

Quoted from: Monty Python's Flying Circus and Mel Brooks's film 'History of the World, Part I'. I prefer the latter.

Dan
Old 05-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Hey...since all 3 of us are online, lets just have our own personally hijacked thread. I suspect not many people will want to visit yet another "Hi im new" thead, especially if they see theres already people on it....

Ooh...you didnt happen to hilight my siggy did ya?
..we are lighting off fireworks to annoy the neibors. Heehehe..

Okay..so yeah, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask, Ill probly be checking back and forth
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-28-2006, 07:12 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4AGeaZy-E
Good lord! That was random!
I've never been accused of being entirely sane . . . Any time I see the word expect, I think of that quote.

Citroens, Studebaker Avantis and Chevrolet Corvairs are other cars that I've always liked.

No fireworks to add to this private hijack.

My fingers hurt too much to type, I got a bit of frostbite from working as a lift operator this weekend. It's snowing at the end of May, what is Mother-Nature doing to us?

Oh yeah, back to the thread . . . Don't spend too much on the first car you find. I paid $2800 for my first one, $1500 for my second. They are both daily drivers and the only expenses I've had for them so far has been new tires and a new radiator. I just bought a 'parts car' with a very good body but dead engine and tranny for $500, I hope to get it back on the road.

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 05-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Yeah, had to read that title again to figure out exactly what the monty refrence was to. Your right, noone expects the spanish inquisition.
Also +1 on the dont spend too much thing. I got mine for 1500 bucks with a relativly fresh engine and tranny. So far the only money ive put into it was in gas, oil, and that entire interior that I couldnt pass up.
Looks like thatll change pretty soon, as I need tires and a cv joint. otherwose, been rinning fine since haloween
I know that one can be found in very good - great shape with a bad tranny for under 1500, or just good shape for about 1000. finding the first one is always a little tough
We are out of fireworks....

Old 05-28-2006, 08:16 PM
4AGeaZy-E

and... DEATH hahahaha. Where do I find one of these $1500 dead tranny cars? Down at the castle AAAAAaaaaaarrrrrrggggh?
Old 05-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Well, a 1500 dollar car IS like stumbling on the holy grail. a friend of mine managed to find a pretty decent condition one with no tranny and a broken tail light for ..I think it was 900 dollars..
Also the case of his beutifull 94 pearl that was bought for 400 if memory serves correctly. It may be a little harder to do up over in there on the west coast, as it seems 90% of the svx owners are on the east coast, but the deals are out there, you juse need to keep all eyes open and wait for something to roll around (Then offer a third of what they are asking)

By the way, welcome to the forums.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
ya know i have been meaning to ask you why is it that the offer is not vaild in minnesota????
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
meh, I got mine with a brand new tranny for 2,900. Just be ready for a bunch of money for parts that seem to always be replaced. I don't know about everyone else but also my insurance is friggen nuts. about 3k a year, for liability!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Quote:
ya know i have been meaning to ask you why is it that the offer is not vaild in minnesota????
Well, everything in my signature except the pregnant thing was on a real warning label I saw at some point or another. Im pretty sure the offer not valid was on sevral diffrent cupons or discounts. Im guessing they werent valid there because that was where they were manufactured or something. It was quite some time ago so my memory is a little fuzzy

Oh, and a good search will bring up all kinds of common problems and fixes...though if your going 5 speed the biggest problem will be fixed.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Sue isn't really striped

Quote:
Originally posted by 4AGeaZy-E
I don't mind spending some cash
That's definately key. The SVX is a great car but it has expensive taste.

As for buying cheap, I went the paying a bit more and getting full maitenance records route. Cant say I was able to avoid paying for expensive repairs, so maybe I was dumb to not buy a cheapie. At least my car gets outstanding gas mileage for an SVX. If I was going to buy another SVX I'd probably get one with a dying tranny.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
You have that now

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872