Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 08:46 PM
LearJeff

Need advice on new rotors.

Well, I guess I new this day would eventually come! I just hit 18,000 miles on the odometer and, within the last 500 miles or so, I'm getting some pretty noticable shimmy under braking (very noticable, actually) so I'm wondering if anyone out there has come across an upgrade to the original SVX rotors?

Also, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to replace the wheel bearings at the same time since they are so prone to failure.

Any advice where to purchase either upgraded rotors and bearings or stock ones if no upgrades available?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:48 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

18k and your rotors are gone....phew that sucks. Raceconcepts is the way to go...you'll get a good deal.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 02-28-2006, 09:18 PM

bet your rotors are fine, it's probably the calipers sticking
Old 02-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Also, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to replace the wheel bearings at the same time since they are so prone to failure.

If money's no object, you can replace what you want, but warped rotors (IF that's the problem) won't ruin the bearings. Some folks have lots'a miles on origional ones, while others blow up regularly, especially if they're improperly lubed & installed. I'd say if they're quiet, don't rush things. At your rate of mileage, the originals should be fine 'til 2010.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:41 AM

Rotors don't warp.

If they have uneven pad deposits, get them turned. But I'd seriously look into checking the calipers first. Unless you spent that 18,000 miles on the track, the rotors should be fine. I have 160k on mine, and they've only needed to be turned once.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:58 AM
LearJeff

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely have the calipers checked first and look into the pads also.

And, as far as I can tell (in terms of noise, anyway) my wheel bearings are probably OK.

Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I would also check the calipers. The guide pins can and will stick. I've had one stick on mine and wore down a single brake pad almost completely. It also heated up the rotor and even the rim to where it was very hot to touch.

What I'm trying to say is you wouldn't want to replace rotors & pads only to have the stuck caliper do the same thing right away.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:41 PM
LearJeff

Thanks for that important tip, Earthworm! That would suck to replace the rotors and still end up in the same predicament not too far down the road.

I'm taking the car to my mechanic tomorrow (the same guys who's helping me restore my '74 TR 6) and he's going to take a look at it with me.

Thanks again, I'll post our findings here.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:18 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
Rotors don't warp.

If they have uneven pad deposits, get them turned. But I'd seriously look into checking the calipers first. Unless you spent that 18,000 miles on the track, the rotors should be fine. I have 160k on mine, and they've only needed to be turned once.
Thanks for the article, it answered a lot of questions for me.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 03-01-2006, 09:35 PM

This may help..... But its subjective... See if you tend to favor one side when you let go of the gas, like an out of alignment wheel. and when you smell something burnt after hard braking when you get out... it would be a sticking pad.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:03 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I found that spitting on your rotors after a heavy braking may reveal a sticking caliaper. If one side sizzles a lot or signifigantly more that the other you found it. Don't go poking at it! You may burn your finger.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 03-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Rotors?

All of my cars, but two have well over 100k miles each and all have original rotors. I do have one with 170K miles plus that now has a slight shimmer, but I will just have the rotors turned. I have bought a set of RaceConcept slotted rotors, but not because the stock rotors were bad. They are for the visual aspects mostly and I still have not put them on. I am sure you have not been racing your low mileage car and doing extreme braking, so the rotors should be in good shape.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-02-2006, 09:19 AM
One teal and One yellow

Welcome back.

I thought you bought a new one back in '02? Can you take it back to the factory/dealer? Is this covered under 5yrs/60k?

Good luck on the maintenance.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b on demand
18k and your rotors are gone....phew that sucks. Raceconcepts is the way to go...you'll get a good deal.
Sometimes it's really depended on how your driving styles/skills.....some people can get a really good life on rotors but some not...

Having a nice luxurious performance german suv is may be one of my dreams... so sometimes I hanged up at those forums, and, you won't be surprised to read some of them replaced theirs rotors/brake pads or even tires under 10K or less... partly really due to the weights and the driving habits

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 03-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Also try to torque the lug nuts evenly before you run out and buy new rotors.
Uneven torque on the lug nuts will feel alot like warped rotors.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.