Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-14-2006, 11:25 AM

2 Questions

I have 2 questions that have both been partially answered by the search button, but not totally.

First question is about the Z32 MAF. I know it can read a higher horsepower then a stock SVX MAF, but is it a direct swap onto an SVX, or does it need to be modified? Also, would it do anything for an SVX with no speed modifications? Like, if someones MAF was bad, could they just as easily replace their stock one with a Z32?

Second Question is, what other stock rims will fit the SVX? I know Mazda RX-7 rims will fit, and so will Ford Probe wheels, and I thought there was something about some Lexus wheels fitting too, but are there other rims from stock cars that will fit?
Old 02-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
To use a Z32 MAF in any SVX you need ECUTUNE stage 2.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What about the physical install? Does it just bolt right in?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Physically it is the same size, it will just bolt in.

However, the wiring connector is not the same as that used for the SVX, and you have to change that.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBeefcake
To use a Z32 MAF in any SVX you need ECUTUNE stage 2.
I'm considering this upgrade myself right now. For you DWD it might not be worth it. Your gonna end up paying over $500 most likely and you need to be mech/tech inclined enough to pull out the ECU and replace a chip. You also need to splice a nissan MAF connector into the MAF wiring harness.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but for someone who isn't interested in performance gains, it just seems like alot of dough to replace a bad maf. Now I don't know this from personal experience, but I have read that the maf type is the last three numbers at the top on back of the MAF. I think they're R62. You should be able to find one in a newer subaru in a salvage yard for a fraction of the price. I may be wrong, so hopefully someone will affirm or correct this.

I am going to purchase ECU Stage 2v5 sometime before summer because I believe it is a good modification for the car even if it is otherwise stock, but I don't think it is a good idea to attempt it on your own with limited knowledge when you just want to fix your MAF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I'm pretty sure it is the same exact housing, just a different plug and guts.
You'll still need to splice the nissan connector in, that seems like the only mod needed other than the chip install.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Legacy's and such from the 90's at least use a R60 (ours is R62) It will bolt on and it will work but it seem slighlty limited higher in the revs and I get the ocaisional weird feeling shift if i'm just cruising.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 02-14-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix
For you DWD it might not be worth it. Your gonna end up paying over $500 most likely and you need to be mech/tech inclined enough to pull out the ECU and replace a chip. You also need to splice a nissan MAF connector into the MAF wiring harness.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but for someone who isn't interested in performance gains, it just seems like alot of dough to replace a bad maf. Now I don't know this from personal experience, but I have read that the maf type is the last three numbers at the top on back of the MAF. I think they're R62. You should be able to find one in a newer subaru in a salvage yard for a fraction of the price. I may be wrong, so hopefully someone will affirm or correct this.
My MAF isnt bad, and I wasnt considering doing this, I just was curious. But I have pulled the ECU before to crush the sound sensor bead (turned out I didnt have it at all) But in the future I am planning some of the ECU tune chips, and I dont see that it would be terribly hard to install one myself, and splice in a Z32 MAF.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
My MAF isnt bad, and I wasnt considering doing this, I just was curious. But I have pulled the ECU before to crush the sound sensor bead (turned out I didnt have it at all) But in the future I am planning some of the ECU tune chips, and I dont see that it would be terribly hard to install one myself, and splice in a Z32 MAF.
Since you are already familair with pulling the ECU I don't think you'd have any problem installing a z32 maf and ecutune chip.
The chip drops right in.
The maf bolts right on.
All you have to do is splice the maf wires in. It's a pretty easy install.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985

Second Question is, what other stock rims will fit the SVX? I know Mazda RX-7 rims will fit, and so will Ford Probe wheels, and I thought there was something about some Lexus wheels fitting too, but are there other rims from stock cars that will fit?
Lexus SC430 rims will fit, I'd say a lot of other Lexus rims would fit as well.

jnj7707@yahoo.com