Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2002, 01:59 PM
Godzilla

Talking Stupid new person questions

Hiya, I have some dumb questions, as well as some ramblings, please bear with me, hopefully someone here has some answers for me. I have been a american V-8 fan all my life, have had a plethora of gas sucking, tire burning, v-8s. Currently have a 85 ElCamino SS, and i blew a head gasket, so, having only $600 in the bank, and needing a car badly and in a hurry to get to work, i found a great running little 87 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon with 180,000 miles. I am impressed to all heck and back with this subaru, EVERYTHING ON IT STILL WORKS GREAT!! Except for the ample rust and a broken horn, the little wagon is perfect! Keep in mind, im used to my "american" cars, you know, interior door handles broken off in your hand, the wiper squirters NEVER work, they leak water when it rains, everything vibrates, 8mpg, broken guages, intermittant wipers (as in "sometimes they come on, sometimes they dont"), electrical gremlins that come and go at will, hap-hazard construction, anyone who has ever had any mid 80's american car knows what im talking about. Anyway, after getting severly impressed with this subaru wagon, I said to myself "Damn, i sure wish they made a car with some power", and after some research ran into the SVX. SO, now im highly HIGHLY considering selling my ElCamino and my Interceptor (motorcycle) just so i can get a SVX. I realize it probably wont have the flat out power oomph I am used to, but it still, from what I hear, can get out of its own way quite well. I just have some questions. Are SVX's manufactured in Japan or in the US? Do the interiors hold up well or do little things keep falling out/breaking off? Do they rust like alot of older japanese cars do or did they correct that? What kind of gas milage do they get? I am 6 ft 2 and 255 lbs, will I fit in one? Are they comfortable on long trips? (i drive 110 miles a day to and from work). I would just go and sit in one that is for sale, but the closest one to me for sale is over 70 miles away. Are they as reliable as this little wagon has proven to be to me? Any particular year better than any other? I know they are prone to wheel bearing failure due to incorrect installation, as well as transmission overheating and failure, both of which I can modify to lessen the possibility, but is that truly the only thing wrong with these cars as a whole? I understand that most people reading this will be biased strictly based on where I am posting this, but please try to be unbiased and honest. I never thought I would see the day that I would give up on my american V-8's, but after seeing how well the subaru's hold up against them, well... you know. Thanks a ton.
Mike
Old 03-14-2002, 02:27 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Stupid new person questions

Hi. I will give you the most unbiased answer as I can give you. Out flat -- no lies from my personal experience.

<< I realize it probably wont have the flat out power oomph I am used to, but it still, from what I hear, can get out of its own way quite well.>>

SVX will not act and feel like a V8 american car. They were not ment to be driven that way at all.

<<I just have some questions. Are SVX's manufactured in Japan or in the US? >>

ALL SVXes are made in Japan and imported.

<<Do the interiors hold up well or do little things keep falling ou. ?t/breaking off? >>

Unless you break them off, they will hold up. Mine has taken a ton of abuse and still holding up nicely. They are not like american cars at all. I used to own a Camaro. I know the difference.

<<Do they rust like alot of older japanese cars do or did they correct that? >>

Unless there is a crack in paint, SVXes have not been known to rust. I have 2 rust spots on my 94 with 104k miles. One from a small bang i caused and another one from a tiny paint chip (about 2x2mm)

<<What kind of gas milage do they get? >>

I am getting around 18-24 depending on the gas (brand) as well as octane levels. Now I am getting around 20ish. I have yet to change the spark plugs and clean the throttle body. I also have to check the fuel filter.

<<I am 6 ft 2 and 255 lbs, will I fit in one? >>

I am 5-6.5. I fit in well but I know of really tall people in SVXes and they said they fit in fine.

<<Are they comfortable on long trips? (i drive 110 miles a day to and from work). >>

This is one of the most comfy cars I have driven in.

<< Are they as reliable as this little wagon has proven to be to me? Any particular year better than any other? >>

They are reliable to a certain degree. I recommand 94+ because they have changed the tranny cooler by then. Also 94+ will have passenger side airbag -- i big plus in my case.

<< I know they are prone to wheel bearing failure due to incorrect installation, as well as transmission overheating and failure, both of which I can modify to lessen the possibility, but is that truly the only thing wrong with these cars as a whole? >>

The brakes wear out a lot on the car if you run it hard. I replaced mine about 6 months ago and I have to change my front pads again. Great uh? Apart from that, I have nothing else to worry about. Electrical can be a pain but I like to fix that kind of stuff and I think I have mastered that by now.

I wish you good luck in your search for car.

lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-14-2002, 02:27 PM
sith

First off, welcome to the board!

Let me go through your questions and answer as best I can.

All SVX's were built in Japan.

Rust shouldn't be a problem. All the body panels are zinc coated. If you manage to chip away everything down to the steel, you can have rust develop, but even then I've never heard of an SVX having severe rust problems.

Gas mileage varies pretty widely. My best is about 31mpg on the highway. My worst is somewhere under 20, but that's doing all short (<5mile) trips in the minnesota winter, so the engine spends the whole time trying to warm up.

I'm about 6 feet and am really comfortable in the car. The telescoping steering wheel means I can have the seat pretty car back and still have my arms in a comfortable spot. You should definatly at least sit in one before purchasing though, as some people have found the seats uncomfortable.

Realiability may be more subjective. If you can keep your transmission happy, you're pretty much set. Everything else in the car seems pretty much bullet-proof. Of course, if you find one that's spent the last 100,000 miles being beaten to death by someone who didn't care about the car, I'm sure you could run into troubles. In general though, most components seem to last for as long as you could want.

As far as model year, in theory the newer (94+) models are less prone to transmission failure, and have a few refinements. Keep in mind also that the available paint schemes differed between years, so if you really like one particular colour (silver!) you may lock yourself into a model year based on that.

Hope thats helpful, and once again, welcome!

-Colin
Old 03-14-2002, 02:31 PM
Green1995SVX

OK... Here we go... I'm gonna try my best.

Q: Are SVX's manufactured in Japan or in the US?
A: They are manufactured in Gunma, JAPAN... Which is just north of Tokyo.

Q: Do the interiors hold up well or do little things keep falling out/breaking off?
A: The build quality of these cars is INCREDABLE. Everything stays right where it should, and nothing rattles.

Q: Do they rust like alot of older japanese cars do or did they correct that?
A: No, SVX's don't rust. The body is Zinc plated/coated. No rust is possible unless the Zinc has been penetrated.

Q: What kind of gas milage do they get?
A: I have never documented this, but my guess is around 24

Q: I am 6 ft 2 and 255 lbs, will I fit in one?
A: I am 6'2" around 220... and i have no probs at all...

Q: Are they comfortable on long trips? (i drive 110 miles a day to and from work)
A: OH MY GOD YES!

Q: Are they as reliable as this little wagon has proven to be to me?
A: No. The SVX is probably the most unrelaible subaru around. However, if it's been treated right, the SVX can be a VERY trouble-free car. It all has to do with regular maintnence.

Q: Any particular year better than any other?
A: I know, transmission wise, the 95 and above had the newest revision of the transmission, and are LESS prone to failure. I have a 95 and my tranny started to go around 92,000 miles.

Go drive one... You'll fall in love. I did.

-Mike
Old 03-14-2002, 02:32 PM
I look like Gordon

Wow. You probably should have numbered your questions for ease of answering

1) Japan
2) The visors tend to lose their ability to hold a horizontal position, and the windshield can make some odd creakings and cracklings when it heats or cools relative to outside temperatures. Other than that, I don't think there are any interior issues
3) No rust issues at all. I've never seen or heard of a rust problem on any SVX that was not damage related
4) I think the consensus is low to mid 20's for highway travel. That's about what I average
5) There have been numerous tall people on this board who fit in their cars very nicely. My brother is 6'2" and he loves the car.
6) Good luck finding a more comfortable car for long trips
7) They say the later models (94 on) are less prone to transmission problems than the earlier ones, but you can correct for that to some extent on an earlier car
8) You have covered the major mechanical issues, I think. Front brake rotors seem to be more prone to warping than your average car. Most repairs are more expensive than average.
9) Buy one. You will not regret it.
10) Welcome!
Old 03-14-2002, 02:33 PM
Green1995SVX

darn it sith, you type faster than me.

-Mike
Old 03-14-2002, 02:33 PM
I look like Gordon

OK, tell me we aren't a helpful bunch
Old 03-14-2002, 02:36 PM
sith

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
darn it sith, you type faster than me.

-Mike
Yeah, but you have nicer gauges than me
Old 03-14-2002, 02:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Godzilla,

Everyone here is probably sick and tired of hearing me say this, but my SVX has been one of the most reliable cars I've come across. But, as someone (I forgot who) just said, it is entirely down to how the car was treated. Abused, the SVX can be a maintenance nightmare. Treated well and maintained according to program (mine), they are gems.

If you can drive it conservatively, the SVX will treat you well in return. Drive it like one of your V8 bruisers and it'll return the favor with expensive repairs.

Yes, they're comfortable on long trips. The SVX is not a drag racer. What it IS is a high-speed long-distance tourer. I have driven at over 100mph for a few hours at a time comfortably and safely.

I am 6-0 and very comfortable. But I am also mostly legs.

Go check one out. Really. My mom was an American muscle car fan, too. Her last 'sporty' car was a 5.0L Mustang, but one drive was all it took - she bought a sweet '92 SVX the same weekend she met mine. 70 miles is not that far to go.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-14-2002, 02:53 PM
Godzilla

Well, thanks everyone for the help. (and fast too!). I think you all have helped steer me even further into my decision to finally abandon my V-8's and get a SVX. 20ish MPG doesnt sound that great, but keep in mind, im used to getting 8. Yes, 8. Im still going to keep the rusty wagon though, handy to have a spare car if the SVX ends up waiting for a part or something. This weekend I think im going to take that long drive and check one out. Guess Im finally going to have to break down and get some metric tools, eh? (i work on my own cars, and am religious with maintainance) Glad to hear they are made in japan too, i noticed that alot of the "japanese" cars made in the US suffer the same problems as the american cars, which is poor assembly. I have read a bunch of reviews on the SVX's as well, and they all have rave reviews on them with the exception of the tranny. I figure if I put an additional cooler on it after the factory one, and route it for good airflow, and add an additional inline filter, it would help greatly. I am also glad to hear that they are comfortable and that I can fit in them. I tried to fit into a miata once and felt like I needed one for each foot. I literally couldnt turn the wheel because my legs were hitting it. Well, if anyone needs my help, ive been working on cars since I was 14 (im 30), have done frame ups on a couple of old american muscle cars, and yes, I type fast (95-110wpm), hence the long messages I post. (sorry about that if you read slow). Glad to be here, and I cant wait to sell my crotch rocket and elky to get a SVX.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:40 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Hi Mike, it seem theat everyone has already answered all of you question exactly as I would have.I just wanted to add that my story is the same as yours.Lots of american cars, mostly GM V8's,
S-10 Blazers, still have a few of them. That all changed in 1999 when we went shopping for a new car and stumbled across the Subaru Impreza RS. After tons of research we ended up buying one, and as you can see at he bottom of this message, I have become a total Subaru nut, and don't regret it one bit.
The SVX is a great car and you will love it.Try to find a well taken care of specimin and you will be much better off. The fact that you can do you work youself is a bonus.

Good luck in your search.

Mike
Old 03-14-2002, 05:04 PM
Green1995SVX

I have a 86 cavalier... Thats mid 80's american... total piece of junk when it comes to build quality...

-Mike
Old 03-14-2002, 05:10 PM
svxpete

my 2cents

The question of fitting in the car made me wonder, doesn't
anyone with large feet have a problem? Noone mentioned it, but
I wear size 9 shoes and am constantly kicking something under
the dash. The passenger space has really smaller foot space, so
I think most any passenger would have to put there feet other
than with toes pointing up. With your being large, the tilt and telescoping steering wheel should help though.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:12 PM
Green1995SVX

Yeah... my passengers constantly complain regarding the lack of foot space over there.

-Mike
Old 03-14-2002, 05:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: my 2cents

Quote:
Originally posted by svxpete
The question of fitting in the car made me wonder, doesn't
anyone with large feet have a problem? Noone mentioned it, but
I wear size 9 shoes and am constantly kicking something under
the dash. The passenger space has really smaller foot space, so
I think most any passenger would have to put there feet other
than with toes pointing up. With your being large, the tilt and telescoping steering wheel should help though.
I have very long legs and I wear size 13 shoes - usually mid hikers. I have never had a problem with the footwell on the driver's side, but I have noticed that the footwell on the passenger side is oddly-shaped. I wouldn't call it uncomfortable, just odd.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE