How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-23-2005, 06:37 PM
MidgeX

suspension set ups

what do strut/sprin combos go for, and is it strictly limite to svx's, for instance dpoes a wrx/rs/sti suspenion work on an svx and so on?
Old 06-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Pretty much Koni's and Ground Control or a couple people sell spec springs to your needs on the board.

I'm hoping to find out if the WRX set up is adaptable in the next week or so.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:36 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
None of the other Subaru struts are easily adapted to the SVX. The SVX has a very beefy suspension knuckle that has a wider strut-to-knuckle flange than other Subaru suspensions. The bolt pattern for the top mount is also different on the SVX. Length may be different too.

Koni/GC is the highest performance option.

I sell sport strut springs that work with the stock struts or the Koni strut inserts. I can spec them to be up to 40% stiffer than stock, and any reasonable ride height that you want. Check out the link in my signature for more info.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
None of the other Subaru struts are easily adapted to the SVX. The SVX has a very beefy suspension knuckle that has a wider strut-to-knuckle flange than other Subaru suspensions. The bolt pattern for the top mount is also different on the SVX. Length may be different too.

Koni/GC is the highest performance option.

I sell sport strut springs that work with the stock struts or the Koni strut inserts. I can spec them to be up to 40% stiffer than stock, and any reasonable ride height that you want. Check out the link in my signature for more info.
Yeah I didn't think it would be easy but wanna see if it can be done. The koni's aren't all that great to begin with for what we'd want in the future so it might make sense to begin the switch to WRX knuckles, wheels, etc now as there is plenty of plug and play stuff available. 40% over stock is the minimum I'd think we'd want. Right now we're pretty much there with a 3.5-4 inch drop on 'em (back to stock riding height). I'm just not a huge fan of single adjustables for the desired use. Plus I think the stock set up will have problems with camber anyways once we get to the fine tuning point. Not that I'm knocking Koni/GC as I've ridden in a few and watched their driving on courses but we're looking further ahead at the moment. Now if you wanna get yourself stickered to the car with a nice sponsorship of springs at the moment that can definately be arranged .
Old 06-24-2005, 01:28 PM
sans SVX

If you guys are serious about racing at that level, I can deeply discount a set of springs, but I think that my strut springs are not stiff enough for your needs. All of the road racing machines that I've read about (not SVX) have spring rates that are in the range 300-500 lbs/in. Just out of curiosity, what is it about the Koni inserts that you do not like?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
If you guys are serious about racing at that level, I can deeply discount a set of springs, but I think that my strut springs are not stiff enough for your needs. All of the road racing machines that I've read about (not SVX) have spring rates that are in the range 300-500 lbs/in. Just out of curiosity, what is it about the Koni inserts that you do not like?
We are totally serious but at least a year off. Sorting a car at those levels especially without a huge support of aftermarket suppliers is to say the least pricey. Yeah the rates for yours are getting close but not quite there yet. While they are a very nice step, they are designed to be usable on the street as that is where you'd at least have a shot at making your investment back. Can't fault ya for that. Who wants to make something that no one wants!

Don't get me wrong, the Koni inserts aren't bad but when you can go all out in our class with totally adjustable set ups they just don't measure up. Its more about a viable future set up at the moment. Til then we'll continue killing stock struts every couple of months.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:07 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
.... Yeah the rates for yours are getting close but not quite there yet. ....
I went through my calibration data and figured out that I could actually go up to about 55% stiffer than stock (210f/170r). Any more than that, and the springs have a chance of falling out of the spring perches at full extension of the suspension. Better, but still not 300 lbs/in. :-)

Visit my locker

Old 06-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I have to agree with Ben, the Konis are good, but two way adjustable is the way to go if you're going to get really serious.
One of the things I've "learned" from being around the serious SCCA drivers is that the two way adjustable struts allow the car to basically "lock down" while on the course. I've been told that you can actually watch the cars rise up once they've been sitting for a while after getting done with all of their runs.
-Bill
p.s. hey! I call first dibs on "Mychailo Racing" stickers when you come out with them

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-24-2005, 08:24 PM
KCROGUEDOG

stickers lol no he knows his sh a stuff.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Superbeast

When I put my car up on the lift I can watch the wheels slowly settle down, it's pretty cool.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 06-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Would anyone want to go in on a group buy, of some of Mychailo's springs in a month or 2?

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 06-25-2005, 08:17 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj
Would anyone want to go in on a group buy, of some of Mychailo's springs in a month or 2?

dustin
I can save you 10% on the price listed on the website if I get orders for 5 sets of springs.

Visit my locker

Old 06-25-2005, 08:37 PM

I'm in for a set. Not racing, but wouldn't mind a bit tighter suspension for my daily driver.

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:01 AM
KCROGUEDOG

i do need quick though and will order if the price is right. time is becoming an issue. i have to have the coil and strut set up in by the end of july.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
!. Odepaj
2. Jnthn_Sctt
3. KCROGUEDOG

anyone else? what would 10% off be? would i get more of a discount if i bought your sway bars at the same time?

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company

Last edited by odepaj; 06-26-2005 at 10:59 PM.