How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-15-2004, 03:41 PM
guitarman400

Need Advice On Hard Starting Problem

I notice that my car has a problem starting up when it is really hot. It does not always happen, kind of a hit and miss situation. I do know that it doesn't start when I hear the fans kick in. I am thinking it may be because it is drawing power from the battery. Due to this problem, I am having a problem trusting my car. It is no longer reliable and am leary about taking it out.

I am wondering if the problem stems from the starter or the battery. The battery is atleast four years old, but reads as good, I dont think it is the battery, but I dont want to remove the starter until I know for sure. The car seems fine 90% of the time, but cant trust it any longer. Would like to know how to test for the problem. Does anyone have any advice or has ever suffered from similar problems? I would appreciate any kind of help that I can get.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Need Advice On Hard Starting Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by guitarman400
I notice that my car has a problem starting up when it is really hot. It does not always happen, kind of a hit and miss situation. I do know that it doesn't start when I hear the fans kick in. I am thinking it may be because it is drawing power from the battery. Due to this problem, I am having a problem trusting my car. It is no longer reliable and am leary about taking it out.

I am wondering if the problem stems from the starter or the battery. The battery is atleast four years old, but reads as good, I dont think it is the battery, but I dont want to remove the starter until I know for sure. The car seems fine 90% of the time, but cant trust it any longer. Would like to know how to test for the problem. Does anyone have any advice or has ever suffered from similar problems? I would appreciate any kind of help that I can get.
Gidáy, you need to describe what happens when it won't start, a bit better.

Does the engine turn over, but not start?
Starter ok, engine problem.

Does the starter struggle to turn the engine?
Battery low.

Does turning the key produce a clicking sound, but no action?
Low current flow to starter solenoid, inhibitor switch.

Does turning the key produce no sound, but the dash lights go out at the same time, but come back on when you let the key go?
Dirty battery terminals.

Your turn.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:44 PM

inhibitor switch?

oab au, I caught your reply to Guitarman yesterday and I'm hoping you can tell me more about the inhibitor switch. I'm getting a clicking sound every time but I have to work the key a lot to get it to start. My starter sounds kind of weak once it turns over but the engine starts right up. Sometimes one key turn starts it up. My starter is a re-build from a local auto parts store w/ a lifetime warranty and I may go there, remove it and have it tested. Any and all advice will be considered and appreciated.
Thanks.

Mike
Old 08-16-2004, 07:59 PM

inhibitor switch

I just found something on this switch on the web. Someone with a Mitsubishi Montero automatic solved their starting problem by cleaning this switch of dirt and grease under the shifter console. They retightened the bolts as far forward as possible and it fires up every time. I had someone tell me before that maybe the sensor doesn't register that its in park so this may be my problem. I need to figure out how to get to it though. Maybe I'll let my new mechanic do it since the light on the shifter isn't coming on and he'll be in there anyway. Thanks.

Mike
Old 08-17-2004, 09:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
First of all, I maintain that four years is way too long for a battery in the SVX. I'd start there.

Second, does your check engine light ever come on and have you checked the ECU for codes?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-17-2004, 03:09 PM

hard starting

I haven't had a battery last me probably over a year in a half in the six plus years I've had my SVX. The heat here may be part of that but I would have mine tested somewhere and go from there. In my situation the key clicks every time but takes a few tries to get it started. My new mechanic thinks its a flaw in the starter itself that can be fixed because its a rebuilt aftermarket brand. I will post a reply when and if I know the cause. Thanks.

Mike
Old 08-17-2004, 03:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I concur - I probably replace my battery every year and a half. I've had my SVX for nearly five years and I'll probably need my fourth battery before next year.

As for testing, I don't buy it and I don't even know why they do it. I've seen auto parts shops give alternators and batteries clean bills of health, when replacing the thing fixes the problem. I think the tests in both cases are severely flawed.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I (and others) have noticed voltage loss in the ignition wiring.

We've solved this by adding a relay to pump power directly from the battery to the starter solenoid.

Here's a bad diagram:
Code:
+Battery===\       /===Starter Solenoid
            \     /
             RELAY
            /     \
  Ground---/       \---Ignition
the === wires are the thicker ones (as opposed to ---)

The thin wires are polarity specific.

I borrowed a relay from my aftermarket alarm which was ripped out during the tranny install.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I (and others) have noticed voltage loss in the ignition wiring.

We've solved this by adding a relay to pump power directly from the battery to the starter solenoid.

Here's a bad diagram:
Code:
+Battery===30\       /87===Starter Solenoid
            \     /
             RELAY
            /     \
  Ground---85/       \86---Ignition
the === wires are the thicker ones (as opposed to ---)

The thin wires are polarity specific.

I borrowed a relay from my aftermarket alarm which was ripped out during the tranny install.
Here is a bad description of Davids bad diagram.

The relay to use is a standard Bosch 12volt, 30amp unit. Used for horn, driving lights, etc. There is a diagram on the side of the relay cover that shows the connections. If it is mounted near the starter, there is little wiring to do.

The starter has two wires to it, a big battery cable and a small black/yellow wire plugged on to the solenoid. The small b/y wire is removed and connected to terminal 86 on the relay, terminal 85 is connected to earth. A wire (big enough to flow 30 amps) is then run from the large battery terminal on the starter, to terminal 30 on the relay. Another wire is run from terminal 87 on the relay to the spade terminal on the starter solenoid, from where the small b/y wire was removed.

You can tell if this is the problem by, Leaving the key turned off, disconnect the black/yellow wire from the starter solenoid, take a small piece of wire and short from the main big terminal, to the spade terminal that the b/y wire was plugged on to. The starter should turn the engine over. If it does fitting a relay will fix it.
If it doesn't, then its either the starter or the battery.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:05 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
my car is beggining to do this as well, only when hot will click a few times but always starts. Im wondering, maybe ill just try ther alternator wiring upgrade and go from there.
phil
Old 09-27-2004, 11:43 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

My car has done this twice. I turned the key and got nothing....no click nothing. One time the car stalled when i was backing out of the driveway and when i tried to restart it quickly ( was in NYC traffic) the same thing happened....then i did it again and it started fine.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network