Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-07-2004, 08:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Any Linux pros?

Hey guys,

I just upgraded my computer and decided to install Linux on my new hard drive and leave Windows on my old hard drive so I can pick operating systems, but I'm having a problem getting the internet to work on Linux.

I have DSL with Qwest and an Actiontec modem. The internet works on and off with Linux, when it works it's slower than dialup!

Does anybody know of a good webpage they can point me to? The Qwest help page doesn't do me any good at all..

Feel free to send me an IM if I'm on (Windows like to crash ALL THE TIME)

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 08-07-2004, 11:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
What distrobution are you using? I find that a good beginner distro is Suse. Very user friendly compared to some of the others. Without more information I don't know how anyone could help. Are you using a router? Or are you directly linked to the modem with ethernet using PPPOE? And if your using USB to link to the modem, forget it and use ethernet. USB is a real PITA for internet useage. Its not very reliable.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiz
What distrobution are you using? I find that a good beginner distro is Suse. Very user friendly compared to some of the others. Without more information I don't know how anyone could help. Are you using a router? Or are you directly linked to the modem with ethernet using PPPOE? And if your using USB to link to the modem, forget it and use ethernet. USB is a real PITA for internet useage. Its not very reliable.
Hey Wiz,

I'm using SuSE version 9.1, no router, and Qwest is telling me to use PPPoA, not PPPoE. I figure that is where my probem lies, but when I try to set up the DSL with PPPoA in YaST it wants me to put in information that Qwest did not provide to me. Should I just try to configure the modem to work with PPPoE? Oh, I'm also using ethernet.

If you need more info from me, please let me know. I'm hoping I can have my Linux up and running so I can leave windows behind!!

Old 08-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I never had any problems with Redhat.
If you had that I could help you out.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
First off... Personal Prefference... REDHAT SUX!

Ok... Now on to the rest of the post

I say try setting up PPPoA with the info you have... and see
if it works... leave things blank if you have to. If that doesnt work... Post the "blank" fields that need to be filled to work.

I am somewhat of a Linux Junkie, and FreeBSD Administrator
My prefference is eather Slackware or Debian as a Workstation.
However Slackware takes some skill to install if you dont know
linux that well.

I'll help anyway I can! Good to see someone choosing Linux over windows!

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 08-07-2004, 09:07 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty new to Linux (took a few classes in college 5 years ago). I'm actually posting this while running Linux, so I think I'm getting there! I can still only open limited web sites, and I need to find out the VPI/VCI for Qwest to run PPPoA. So I'll be switching back to Windows so I can try to find it on the internet. I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Old 08-08-2004, 05:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Quote:
Originally posted by Zeppelin
Hey Wiz,

I'm using SuSE version 9.1, no router, and Qwest is telling me to use PPPoA, not PPPoE. I figure that is where my probem lies, but when I try to set up the DSL with PPPoA in YaST it wants me to put in information that Qwest did not provide to me. Should I just try to configure the modem to work with PPPoE? Oh, I'm also using ethernet.

If you need more info from me, please let me know. I'm hoping I can have my Linux up and running so I can leave windows behind!!
There is no reason not to try PPPoE, worst that will happen is nothing.
And if you keep having trouble just get a router. It will save you a lot of trouble in the end as it will be doing the authentication with Quest and as long as your computer pulles an ip over DHCP from the router it will work fine with linux or windows or anything really.

Last edited by Wiz; 08-08-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiz

There is no reason not to try PPPoE, worst that will happen is nothing.
And if you keep having trouble just get a router. It will save you a lot of trouble in the end as it will be doing the authentication with Quest and as long as your computer pulles an ip over DHCP from the router it will work fine with linux or windows or anything really.
Yes, PPPoE works (kinda). It lets me bring up the forum, but nothing else (which isn't totally bad).

So getting a router should fix this problem? I actually ahve one from when I had cable in GJ. I'll dust it off and see if that helps. Do you have any tips for setting up the router? I'm a newbie when it comes to this kinda stuff.

Old 08-09-2004, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeppelin

Yes, PPPoE works (kinda). It lets me bring up the forum, but nothing else (which isn't totally bad).

So getting a router should fix this problem? I actually ahve one from when I had cable in GJ. I'll dust it off and see if that helps. Do you have any tips for setting up the router? I'm a newbie when it comes to this kinda stuff.
The router will be doing the pppoe/a for you so the problem should go away. Thats assuming the router supports it. It should.

Its odd that only the froum works and nothing else. If you can ping an address such as .com from the command line when using pppoe its probablly something else keeping you from viewing webpages. Command should be typed as such "ping .com" and you can replace .com with anything. If you get a responce your good, if not hit control-c on the keyboard to stop it.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:15 PM

Woohoo! I hooked up my router and booted up Linux, and it's workin like a charm!

Thanks for all your help!

Old 08-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Congrats. From the sounds of it you were having DNS issues. Routers are definately easier to set up. I was using a computer and network switch to take place of the router but was always having trouble with the software. I'm using a router now and am even running servers on separate computers on my LAN.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: