How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-15-2004, 09:17 PM
jimagoo

Lobbying Subaru to Bring the SVX Back

I just returned from the Pittsburgh Auto Show and spoke to a few of Subaru's reps. They were not aware that there are a number of SVX groups and devotees. I suggest that any of us that attends an auto show approach these reps and tell them to bring the SVX back with WRX STi drivetrains.

jimagoo
Old 02-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Yeah right. Even if they did bring it back, there's no way I could afford a 40k+ car.

- Rob
Old 02-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Lobbying Subaru to Bring the SVX Back

Quote:
Originally posted by jimagoo
I just returned from the Pittsburgh Auto Show and spoke to a few of Subaru's reps. They were not aware that there are a number of SVX groups and devotees. I suggest that any of us that attends an auto show approach these reps and tell them to bring the SVX back with WRX STi drivetrains.

jimagoo
Do you know with whom you spoke at the auto show? Many of my former coworkers at subaru are working that show and i assure you they are aware of the svx network community. Perhaps you spoke to the 'wrong' people.

Mike
Old 02-16-2004, 12:31 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
As far as I know, SOA is aware of the nuts like us. But compare to the rest of the bigger nutcases (chasing WRXes), they can ignore their nightmare.

From the FHI/SOA point of view, SVX failed big. A big mistake. On the other hand, they struck gold with WRX. So make the car that people want and make money on them.

Another thing is if you look at the market, not many people are asking for 2 door touring coupes. So the need to bring back a SVX is not there. Even if they do bring in a 2(4) door coupe, it will be the new design like B11S.

Anyways, I don't want them bringing back the SVX. I think it will cheapen them. Just my 2 cents.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-16-2004, 12:42 AM

And we won't look as cool driving these "rare" cars if they brought them back. Think image people...image!

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 02-16-2004, 01:11 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I mean look at the cars like... I can't think of any (too late in the night) but if you have a second generation SVX, you have to explain to people G1 SVX and G2 SVX and that's just too much. People are already confused as is.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Lobbying Subaru to Bring the SVX Back

Quote:
Originally posted by jimagoo

jimagoo
Did you speak to the talking heads at the booth or actual Subaru employees?

These shows are intended to light the fires of the car buying public. While the people at the booths appreciate a Subaru fan, we're talking about a car that cost FHI millions of dollars and was a spectacular failure. They are there to push new vehicles, not relive a painful memory.

Todd
Old 02-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Sold. :'-(

I may be in the minority here, but I'd prefer a modern rendition of our motor to the WRX 4 banger anyways...
I'm not 20 anymore, I don't need a turbo 4 anymore than I need "nawwwwsssss".
Raxles front axles
Old 02-16-2004, 11:41 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
I have found

In my limited experience with our SVX that MOST Subaru official types want as little to do with the SVX as possible. While no one denies that it was a great car for it's time. It was not the right car for Subaru at that time. If you are lucky you can take it to the dealer and they will have one or two tech types that will be helpful on maintenance... That's about all. Don't look for a new car to be named "SVXII" or anything like that. They seem to be happier with the Forrester and WRX's ...
Not that either one is a bad car... Those of us that like the SVX and are looking for a "new" ride will have to look elsewhere... IMO
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 02-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Blue
I may be in the minority here, but I'd prefer a modern rendition of our motor to the WRX 4 banger anyways...
I'm not 20 anymore, I don't need a turbo 4 anymore than I need "nawwwwsssss".
see the Outback H-6 - that would be the modern version of the SVX motor.

i'm not 20 anymore either, but i'd love to have an STi with acceleration to press my head back into the headrest!
maybe you'd be better off with a Buick.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Brock94SVX

ok...if they brought the car back for a price range of 30+k i wanna see AWD standard or a REAR drive 2wd...(asking too much?) -lol- and do like saturn & mazda did make it a 2+2 door (suicide half doors like on the RX-8) and make an availble 5spd..now i think that would be a KILLER car! or to keep in a range of $24-28k i might suggest a turbo'd version of the 2.5 wrx motor....and of course chop the weight down a lil more..i think SUBARU would have great road and track car, and 4 doors would give a lil more versiatily to the onwer during the week but would make a great weekend warrior car....and for the pure race enthusist maybe making a STi race version withouht the rear doors and cutting the weight down even further....WOW just imagine....oh...and making more than 25,000 over 5 years... ..anybody else with me? I'm on to something?

B-roc
Rookie 94-L Owner "blue with 97k"
Old 02-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Brock94SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
As far as I know, SOA is aware of the nuts like us. But compare to the rest of the bigger nutcases (chasing WRXes), they can ignore their nightmare.

From the FHI/SOA point of view, SVX failed big. A big mistake. On the other hand, they struck gold with WRX. So make the car that people want and make money on them.

Another thing is if you look at the market, not many people are asking for 2 door touring coupes. So the need to bring back a SVX is not there. Even if they do bring in a 2(4) door coupe, it will be the new design like B11S.

Anyways, I don't want them bringing back the SVX. I think it will cheapen them. Just my 2 cents.

L
cheapen them .. if it is a success and they do a limited production like the mustang cobra, dodge RT cars, and chevy "SS". it just might shed new light on the "older" versions of the SVX and make them grow in a value a lil (do i need to list the recent cars that have held value..like the 99/00 civic si that you could have bought new for $16,500ish and could have sold it later with 40-50k miles and still got in excess of /$13,000 three years later...or now one with 100k still goes for around $9-$11k. but people need to KNOW about the SVX..people need to HEAR what it can do..(publishings in like road and track, some street rod mags..it just needs the proper "ad campain" drirected at the right core of purchasers..the one failing of the 92-97 SVX was a 30k car....what younger (i mean mid 20's) could REALLY afford that car...the demographics of the car was more toward the singe male 30's proffesional that enjoyed a cross between a lexus ride and a sports car look) so i think the MAIN reasons for its failing was the market research wasn't done or listened too...they took a chance and it backfired....i hope they won't let one mistake on mis-timming be the end of the SVX design..as i sit here and i think more about it and two plus door version on the WRX with a turbo 4 (2.5) might be the best approch...if they even considerd another "sports coupe again" is should be cheap..and loaded with features..... now that AWD in teh autocrossing world is really begining to grap on with the RICE rockets of the day..i think there would be a great success..like we've all said the SVX was mis-timed....but here it is 2004....humm.....could the timming be now...is the public just waiting for the one car that really "wows" them or..are there already...to many choices -lol-
B-roc
(just another dreamer)

Last edited by Brock94SVX; 02-16-2004 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Brock94SVX
ok...if they brought the car back for a price range of 30+k i wanna see AWD standard or a REAR drive 2wd...(asking too much?) -lol- and do like saturn & mazda did make it a 2+2 door (suicide half doors like on the RX-8) and make an availble 5spd..now i think that would be a KILLER car! or to keep in a range of $24-28k i might suggest a turbo'd version of the 2.5 wrx motor....and of course chop the weight down a lil more..i think SUBARU would have great road and track car, and 4 doors would give a lil more versiatily to the onwer during the week but would make a great weekend warrior car....and for the pure race enthusist maybe making a STi race version withouht the rear doors and cutting the weight down even further....WOW just imagine....oh...and making more than 25,000 over 5 years... ..anybody else with me? I'm on to something?

B-roc
Rookie 94-L Owner "blue with 97k"
Subaru ONLY makes AWD cars for the past few years.

you basically just described the B11S, which could be considered the successor to the SVX. just two problems - its uglier than a trainwreck and would not be $24-28k if they put it into production.

Old 02-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
I'm with the others who don't want to see a new SVX because it will change the image of the one we have now. Not just the confusion issue, but to always have to know that you now have the older version of the SVX, rather than knowing you have the ONLY version of the one-of-a-kind SVX. Call me sentimental, but I just don't want to see our beloved version of the SVX overshadowed by a more modern, superior version (even if it was nearly identical and just updated). And I definitely don't want to see some totally different car that is just badged SVX. (think Pontiac LeMans/Chevy Nova of the 80's vs. their muscle car versions of the 60's/70's)

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 02-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
I'm with the others who don't want to see a new SVX because it will change the image of the one we have now. Not just the confusion issue, but to always have to know that you now have the older version of the SVX, rather than knowing you have the ONLY version of the one-of-a-kind SVX. Call me sentimental, but I just don't want to see our beloved version of the SVX overshadowed by a more modern, superior version (even if it was nearly identical and just updated). And I definitely don't want to see some totally different car that is just badged SVX. (think Pontiac LeMans/Chevy Nova of the 80's vs. their muscle car versions of the 60's/70's)
i'd like to see a sweet-looking Subaru AWD sport coupe with over 300 turbo-charged horses. i really don't care what they call it.

the B11S airplane/Alfa Romeo styling really scares me - if that really is the future of Subaru .......