How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-27-2004, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro

Wrong. I was able to take off faster and hold the road longer with the SVX than an FX45 (yea i know but wait...), an 03 Explorer, and a Dorango. I think that making the statement the the SVX sucks in the snow is harsh, and untrue. It is at the very worst,...fair.
I bet the Durango and Explorer weren't in 4WD.

Fair might be a better word. Afterall, Tthe AWD pulls you out of parking spots and gets you up SOME hills, but, compared to, say, a Jeep, it's all over the road. There is nothing to stop you from skidding around an icy turn and flying off into a ditch! If you believe otherwise, as other members here have, be prepared to have a major accident.

Also, one other thing I've noticed is the SVX tends to slide easier than most cars. I used to have a little Honda that I could fly around corners on snow-packed streets. It would slide for a few seconds, then staighten out. The SVX, on the other hand, keeps sliding untill you hit something. Well...Based on my experience it does.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 01-27-2004 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:19 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Like it was said before, maybe some will say it sucks, but compared to other vehicle WITHOUT traction control, its pretty good.

Don't expect our SVX to compete with any vehicle with traction control, and specially an AWD/4WD w/ traction control. It will not.

Do expect it to be lots of fun in the snow, and if you want to be able to stop better than anyone else, carry a big anchor.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 01-27-2004, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to fKinger Send a message via Yahoo to fKinger
I used dunlop m2 super sports m+s rated 215/60r16 on my '92lsi, and nobody could even keep up to me in the snowy mountians of British columbia a brand new sti wrx is quick but on an uphill pull in 3rd and i was walking away from him. turly it's all about the tires, it's the only thing keeping you on the ground!
Old 01-27-2004, 07:48 PM
inline

I had Michelin Pilot Alpins on my last SVX and it was absolutely amazing in snow. I could take corners like it was dry pavement.

They were actually very good on dry pavement too!

Best tires I have ever owned.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:58 PM
mark10t

<<Also, one other thing I've noticed is the SVX tends to slide easier than most cars. I used to have a little Honda that I could fly around corners on snow-packed streets. It would slide for a few seconds, then staighten out. The SVX, on the other hand, keeps sliding untill you hit something. Well...Based on my experience it does.>>

Sounds like you've had some pretty sucky tires on your SVX. I've had my SVX for about 5 years now and I've had all sorts of Subaru's since 1981, so I've experienced front wheel drive, on-demand 4WD, AWD, etc. on summer tires, all-season tires and winter tires. The performance of my SVX is significantly better with good winter tires (I've got a set of 'summer' tires/rims as well). Right now I'm using some Pirelli Winter Ice Asymetrico's which 'bite' very nicely and are VERY quiet (for a winter tire). My only regret is that the company that had the really good closeout deal didn't have anything but a 225/50-16. I really wanted to narrow up the profile a little in the winter by going to a 205/55-16. The very wide 'shoes' the SVX normally wears work against it in the snow.

The Honda you reference probably had some (relatively) skinny rubber on it. I used to do some amazing things in the snow years ago with VW 'Baja' bugs- rear-wheel-drive with most of the weight on the rear (driven) tires.

Come back and tell us about the transformation of your SVX in the winter after you've had a chance to experience some good winter rubber.

Havin' fun with my (daily driver) SVX in the snow-

-Mark
Old 01-27-2004, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mark10t

Sounds like you've had some pretty sucky tires on your SVX.
Actually, I have Yokohama Yk420s ($700 for the set I THINK) with almost full tread. Although I think they're geared more toward dry pavement performance than anything else.
Quote:
Originally posted by mark10t

Come back and tell us about the transformation of your SVX in the winter after you've had a chance to experience some good winter rubber.
You're right. They would perform much better than my Yokos , but as I said earlier, most cars will perform well in the snow with good winter tires.

The SVX, however, always pulls me out of snowed over parking spaces and it usually get's me up hills in the snow. That's one thing my Honda had trouble with. But put it up against a Jeep or a 4WD vehicle and no way Jose.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 01-27-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:48 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I think my svx performs well in thes now with the Yokohama Avid V4's. I went out in the snow and she was very stable up to 50 on the snowy highway but I took it down to 40 to be safe.

It seems very easy to break the rear end loose though and it sometimes seems to perform like a rear wheel drive car. Maybe its just me but I can steer the car with the gas if I'm sliding and I want to be turning.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 01-27-2004, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TE1221
It seems very easy to break the rear end loose though and it sometimes seems to perform like a rear wheel drive car.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 01-27-2004, 11:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
shotking i am in scranton, pa going to school
Old 01-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Shot king

Hey Svxman your only 15 minutes away. We should some other ppl and set up a mini meet.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by TE1221
I think my svx performs well in thes now with the Yokohama Avid V4's. I went out in the snow and she was very stable up to 50 on the snowy highway but I took it down to 40 to be safe.

It seems very easy to break the rear end loose though and it sometimes seems to perform like a rear wheel drive car. Maybe its just me but I can steer the car with the gas if I'm sliding and I want to be turning.
i have Avid V4's, but those are my summer tires.

the SVX is MUCH more stable with some dedicated winter tires. i noticed my rear end breaking loose a little Sunday night, but it was very controllable - the roads were really bad, though. other cars were just sliding. period.

just got the ContiExtremeContacts on the WRX, so now it will be good in the snow, as opposed to being a hazard (with the stock RE-92's.)

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-28-2004, 11:01 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I am running on a set of Sumitomo all-seasons and have no problem whatsoever. I was trolling around last night in 8 inches of snow and even running through plowed snow on the shoulders that was over a foot thick and it didn't even phase the car. Checked my tracks and was leaving belly tracks everywhere I went. I think my SVX is a tank in the snow. I can also steer through corners with the throttle with little effort and it is a total blast to drive.

What makes the backend come around so easily is the posi rear. On Vehicles with open diffs at at each end at least one wheel per axle cannot spin and will help you track straight. With the SVX one of the front wheels stays planted and the others pivot around it. That is what makes it so much fun to drive. The only place where the SVX may do worse than the average SUV is in DEEP snow. Most SUVs have open diffs unless they have an offroad package and only have 2 wheels driving at best when it counts. The SVX has 3 at all times. As long as you do not overwhelm them with power and break them loose you will ALWAYS beat the SUV in traction.

-Johnny (it's all in the tires and the driver)

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.

Last edited by CigarJohnny; 01-28-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:19 PM
MYgreen92

Shot king and SVXMAN, your both like 15 minutes from me. it seems there are more SVXes in PA than in any other state (at least on the forums). Yes, we got **** for snow. i gave up going to a Flaw and Life of agony concert because of the snow, and we didnt even get much...
Old 01-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Shot king

Angry

Christ i missed Life of Agony. i gotta start payin more attention to whats goin on around here.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:41 PM
cargamer03

i run with 225/50/r16 toyo proxes as well and i have not had a problem in under 5 inches of snow in colorado. but i am very conservative untill there are no cars around, then i have a little fun.