How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-07-2003, 06:25 PM
The Molinator

TREAT THIS!

I just put TECHRON Fuel System Cleaner (20 oz., $9.95) into my gas tank. I'll let you know if it helps. As I said, I'm starting to get the intermittent rough idle (on startup) for a few minutes again!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 11-07-2003, 08:58 PM
6evil9

well i started to get bad millage now
even before i opened the batterflies abit on iddle

so far it takes 15 liters per 100km (dunno in mpg)

the openning batterflies helped the car dont shake on iddle, but still rough iddle

also if i drive on highway up to small hill, and revs are 1800-1900 (speed 80-100kms) i get missing combastion which is like 1 missing in few seconds... weird

what are the symptoms of bad fuel pump?
Old 11-10-2003, 07:57 AM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
we have got to figure this out people, it feels like my car is gonna die from the rough idle
Old 11-10-2003, 12:34 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by 6evil9
well i started to get bad millage now
even before i opened the batterflies abit on iddle

so far it takes 15 liters per 100km (dunno in mpg)

the openning batterflies helped the car dont shake on iddle, but still rough iddle

also if i drive on highway up to small hill, and revs are 1800-1900 (speed 80-100kms) i get missing combastion which is like 1 missing in few seconds... weird

what are the symptoms of bad fuel pump?
Well, SVXs mileage varies hugely with how you drive. With me, pure city is 14 MPG, pure highway is 24, and I usually wind up getting 19. But I have a heavy foot. Does anyone know how to convert his figures to MPG?
Old 11-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro
Does anyone know how to convert his figures to MPG?
Yup. Here's my math:

15L / 100km

15L/3.78 = 3.968 Gal
100km*.6213 = 62.13 miles

3.968 Gal / 62.13 miles
1 Gal / 15.658 miles

15.658 MPG
Old 11-13-2003, 08:11 PM
The Molinator

Question TECHRON fuel system cleaner

No change in performance [intermittent rough idle] after this cleaner used. Now I put in some octane booster>> No change so far!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 11-14-2003, 08:08 AM
nextcubepro

Re: TECHRON fuel system cleaner

Quote:
Originally posted by James Scott
No change in performance [intermittent rough idle] after this cleaner used. Now I put in some octane booster>> No change so far!
I hate techron. never did anything for my cars. get restore.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:09 PM
The Molinator

Exclamation ZOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

Seems like I get a little more power with the octane booster! Have to race my wife (we go off at stop signs often) soon to really tell.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Looks like I get to join this merry group too

About 3 weeks ago, I was sitting in the car waiting for Cass and was watching the rpm's (had always been fascinated with how smooth and constant they were) - anyways, the rpm's begin to drop and I notice the car begin to rock..."I say, I wonder what that is" says I (note: much more colourful language used, and to remain used for the rest of this topic in addition to hair pulling

In 'N' I apply more rpm to see what it does and I notice that the smooth engine note has what appears to be a miss or something our of synch...at about 1500rpm to 1700rpm the car begins to chug and die!! All manners aside, I cry "what the fire truck is going on"

Has been doing that now at that rpm speed, which is a pain when in 'D' and driving, then going to accelerate and the engine and transmission (clunky changes) have a meeting, decide on a course of action (meanwhile, I am facing oncoming traffic!) then decide, as I press the accelerator furiously, to unleash all the power at once and whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeey off it screams down the road, transmission slamming back a gear or too, Cassie belting me into the head and me protesting "Its the car"

I have no &^*^ idea...will try changing air filter, fuel additives then driving off a cliff

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 11-18-2003, 02:01 AM
The Molinator

IDLE SCHMIDDLE!

Since your twist on the no guts/rough idle syndrome occurs at a specific RPM range, maybe a Throttle Position Sensor clean job is in order. If interested, do a search on TPS cleaning (I think Trevor or other common poster). Involves removing TPS, then squirting electronics aerosol spray solvent into small hole in TPS (while rotating sensor shaft back and forth) to clean electronic "rheostat" inside. Pretty easy to do!

Good Luck

P.S. Have you cleaned your throttle body and AIC? A little harder to do, but highly recommended by many here for a plethora of ailments!

Last edited by James Scott; 11-18-2003 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:34 AM
6evil9

Welcome to our club James seems like ozi's have some problems too

well my car does not die, just under 2000 rpms and on idle it misses sometimes, or sometimes just idle's rough

uh huh

it might be because of bad petrol... so try another tank before spending ur money on new filters (unless u neva changed em )

ill try new pcv ... mine is bad as
Old 11-18-2003, 03:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
US gallon V Imperial gallon.

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Yup. Here's my math:

15L / 100km

15L/3.78 = 3.968 Gal
100km*.6213 = 62.13 miles

3.968 Gal / 62.13 miles
1 Gal / 15.658 miles

15.658 MPG

15L / 100 km.

15L/4.55= 3.296 Imperial gal.
100km X .6213 = 62.13 miles

3.296 gal / 62.13 miles
1 gal / 18.85 miles

18.85 miles per Imperial gallon.

Improve your miles / gallon, move to Ozz

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:45 PM
6evil9

ok just got the thing from Mr. Pockets

here is the link: http://www.hastingsfilter.com/engine...tsb_94-2r.html

and here is the quote
Quote:

If the PCV system is not functioning properly, the flow of crankcase vapor into the intake manifold will not be properly metered. This, in turn, will upset the fuel/air mixture for combustion and cause rough idling or even stalling of the engine. Furthermore, intake and exhaust valves, in addition to spark plugs, may well be burned and rendered useless, prematurely affecting performance and requiring expensive repairs.
well for me it sounds like my bugger, pcv not functioning for all time i had the car... plus hoses are bad as.. and yeah rough idle for last 3 months, and i stalled couple of times...
Old 11-22-2003, 06:52 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mranderson
we have got to figure this out people, it feels like my car is gonna die from the rough idle
Sorry - been out of the country for a few weeks. I'll swap the MAF sensors this morning to test that theory.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:35 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Cough n Splutter!

Hi Guys, and to think I joined this thread to chase a fuel pump problem!
I've given up on all the plug/coil changes, there's no problem there.
Another mechanic friend put a fuel pressure guage in line and reckoned it was a bit low (wish I could remember what it was)
Changed the fuel filter (no difference) and got hold of another fuel pump.
After looking at the diagram at <http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=421-B>
I thought I could remove the pump and change it
WOW! How the hell did they get that thing together?
I thought I read a post about having to be like an octopus, but I don't think they would be double jointed enough for the job!
But the real scary bit was when I looked at the plug to the fuel pump and saw that the wiring had got hot and was melting off the plastic coating
After very carefully putting it all back together, I rolled the car to the middle of the front yard with teh doors and boot open and started it while standing on the out side!
I'm still here to tell the story, so it didn't go BANG (this time)
Now thinking of a second fuel pump up front somewhere
Must also clean the PCV valve.
Attachment is photo of fuel pump plug lead that connects under the tank cap.
Arthur.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scary.jpg (67.9 KB, 245 views)
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!