IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-30-2003, 11:46 AM
Xmen

So far, this thread has revealed:

"I've poured lots of money into mine..."

"parts can take up to a week to get..."

"Sure, I've spent a bit of money..."

"you probably want something which requires less care, if you just want a reliable daily driver which requires little care..."

"Parts are expensive and it's sometimes difficult to find competent service..."

"it is more expensive than the average car to maintain..."

"Now I only put a few thousand on it a year, if that..."

"You know, as we write this, my tranny is in the shop and being rebuilt. Yeah, that does suck..."

"Of all the tranny stories i have heard, overheating seems to be the key problem..."

"My tranny may go..."

"Just in case, save up 2k cash for car repairs. Tranny can cost about 2-3k to repair..."

It's not looking too good.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
You're right. It looks like we're drowning in red right now. But, nevertheless, I am completely happy and so are all these other people (I would be the guy who wrote: "You know, as we write this, my tranny is in the shop and being rebuilt. Yeah, that does suck...").

Perhaps a test drive is in order. Drive it. Drive it lots. When I test drove mine, I put on over 30 miles and the guy thought I might have stolen it or got lost. If you drive it, yet still don't feel good about it, sleep on it. This car is not for everyone, as all the red would point out. If it was for everyone, we'd be talking about a Taurus or something like that. Instead, we've got a pseudo-supercar that requires superman-like maintainance and care.

Go drive it! Drive it lots. Drive it hard!
Old 10-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

a bit of advice to you Xmen. go and test drive the svx first. if you like it, then consider it. if not, then the car is not for you. you have to factor in that this is a limited production car so parts and service are not as cheap as a honda. i wish it was, but unfortunately no. the only way to keep maintanence low is to do it yourself and get the parts yourself.

here's my story:
i walked into a dealer looking for a good deal on a spare car and came upon the svx that was traded in an hour before i got there. i drove it with bad bearings, oil leaks, warping rotors, a droopy visor along with a broken visor, broken cigarette lighter, bad driver's side front axle, and an oxidation spot on the passenger door that need to be coated again. i went home and found this wonderful site, did some searches, and the next day i went in a bought the car with cash. then i proceeded to pour money into the car and with each fix and upgrade, i loved the car more. (i.e. no bearing noise, windows started to work after changing the switch, front axle quit clicking, etc.).

either you love the svx or you don't. only way to find out is to drive one. good luck to you.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:11 PM

sidewinder beat me to the post. should have not answered the phone call
Old 10-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
My first SVX nearly put me in the poorhouse. So, I bought another one. Some of us never learn.

This is the only car I've ever owned, with which I haven't lost the love affair from when I first drove it off the lot. The love affair is still going strong despite the many anguished moments. That was five years ago.

When I find the "one" I can't help but remain faithful. Just ask my SVXes, or my wife of (on Nov. 13) 27 years.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-30-2003, 12:16 PM

RWJ, indeed some of us never learn. no pleasure without pain brother. guess i'm a nut cause i'm looking to buy another. double the pain, double the pleasure .

really though, i think we all need like a SVX rehab support group or something to get over our addictions. ok everyone meet at earl's house, drive your svx, and pick your weapon (redwine, scotch, or just plain old beers. )

Last edited by Noir; 10-30-2003 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Xmen

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
...you have to factor in that this is a limited production car so parts and service are not as cheap as a honda.
I can relate. My weekend car is an NSX. It's not exactly your "typical" Honda so parts and service costs are inflated. Did you know that an OEM clutch--just the clutch alone--for this puppy is $1500?! So, yeah... I know about hunting for parts, finding a competent mechanic who knows what he's doing and waiting days/weeks on end for parts to actually get in my hands. But if you were in my shoes, which would get the upgrades and aftermarket parts? The SVX or the NSX?

I figured an SVX would be the perfect partner for the NSX. It's rare and it looks awesome. I think I have a thing for cars ending in 'X'.

As I recall from reading the archives, isn't there a member in this forum that owns BOTH of these cars? Maybe he can share some knowledge.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:52 PM

well lucky for you, there aren't many svx upgrades and/or aftermarket parts. i mean you have your typical rotor upgrades, maybe brake upgrades, exhaust upgrades, rim/tire upgrades, <cough> air intake upgrades, and nitrous upgrades, but other than that, i don't know of much (by upgrades, i'm only referring to performance, not aesthetics). maybe i'm not informed, but i think that's about it. nothing a few thousand bucks won't take care of.

if you get a you are in CA right. if you get sometime you should contact jsvxstyle in CA. apparently he may be one of the few people that has done major work to his car's performance.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Xmen

As I recall from reading the archives, isn't there a member in this forum that owns BOTH of these cars? Maybe he can share some knowledge.

Yeppers. You need to talk to "calmone" (not pronounced like the "italian" but pronounced as two words "calm one"). He has an entire stable of "unstable" automobiles. SVX, NSX, Rolls and a Merkur or two.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-30-2003, 01:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Xmen
My weekend car is an NSX.
Very cool...

I understand that, though they are more expensive to maintain than a regular Honda, the NSX is actually pretty inexpensive to own. Obviously, I understand that this means it's less expensive to own than, say, a Lotus or a Porsche.

I've always dug the NSX.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-30-2003, 01:05 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
ok everyone meet at earl's house, drive your svx, and pick your weapon (redwine, scotch, or just plain old beers. )

Yeah, meet at EARL'S house. Hell, that's like asking Cortney Love to chair an AA meeting.

In the SVX world, when we talk about boxers, we're not talking about underwear or pugilists. We're talking about wine drinkers.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Have you guys seen the concept car that will become the new NSX? Looks great.

http://216.73.106.70/NSX1.jpg

I bought my SVX 3 years ago as my main car for work and travel. My other car is my weekend car. After I bought it, I put a couple of grand into it. New tires, new sunvisors, a tranny cooler, tinted windows, new muffler, new antenna, changed all the fluids, etc. It's now 27,000 miles later. I have all the regular maintenance performed by a competent mechanic. Besides a $30 coolant sensor, I haven't had to do any repairs since I first got it. People talk about the amount of money they spend on the car, but most of it goes into wear and tear items (brakes, struts, etc). That's stuff that needs to be replaced with any car at a certain mileage (with the exception of the transmission, but with a good tranny cooler and regular checking of the trans fluid, the life expectancy goes way up). That's not to say that I'm not expecting things to go wrong, but I do trust my SVX to get me to work and to the ski slopes every time.

Matt
Old 10-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Xmen

Quote:
Originally posted by nordique14
Have you guys seen the concept car that will become the new NSX? Looks great.

http://216.73.106.70/NSX1.jpg

Matt,

Actually that's not the NSX replacement. Mr. Uehara from Honda Japan (chief designer of the current NSX and S2000) says that it wasn't meant to be the next generation. They're just testing, and TEASING, the market for now with that design.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:29 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
My first SVX nearly put me in the poorhouse. So, I bought another one. Some of us never learn.
YEAH. So did I. My frist SVX was hell. So, I got another one. Then another one because I wanted another colour.

Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-30-2003, 07:21 PM
calmone

what is there to say between the svx and the nsx? it's apples and oranges. the nsx is more of a weekend car, the svx is basically a daily driver (i say basicallly because the wife and i trade off on two of three cars as daily drivers). the only major problem i've had with the svx was the trannie. i wasn't happy about it but the thought of just getting rid if the svx never entered my mind. i enjoy driving it too much. if i were you i'de just figure on the possibility of a trannie rebuild and add the 2 grand into what i'de evbentually expect to pay and buy the damn car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

as they say. life is too short for boring cars.