Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-22-2003, 03:54 PM
Porter

Exclamation INFO: How to format posts legibly using Quote tags and formatting options

Greetings all,

I'd like to offer a short, concise primer on the use of vBulletin formatting tags.

vBulletin script, or vBCode, is a markup language similar to HTTP, the Hypertext Transfer Protocol. It uses tags surrounded by brackets ( [] ) to indicate changes in text formatting.

A "tag" is a command that is placed on either side of a set of characters to be formatted. Tags work in the following way...

If I want to use the imaginary text formatting command "bright", and I want only the word "ship" in the following sentence to be bright, it would be typed in like this:

I saw the [bright]ship[/bright] sailing into the harbor.

Obviously "bright" is not a real command or using it would have changed the way the word "ship" appeared in the sentence once the post was submitted.

There are a number of tags in the system, some which are well documented and others that are not, such as the "marquee" tags and other annoying items.

Commonly used formatting tags are "b" for bold text, "i" for italic text, "size" to change text size, and "color" for the obvious.

Other tags can be used to separate sections of text. Examples of these are the "quote" tag, the "code" tag, and the "php" tag. These tags all place text in an indented area, but handle the content of the text differently. The "quote" tag indents the text but allows normal text formatting within the indented area. The "code" tag indents the text and disables HTML tags that are used within it, so that you can see the tag markup. The "php" tag takes that one step further, disabling vBCode tags, and color codes the markup tags (and any other type of script) into sections based on codification.

Here are some examples of text formatting tags in their native form, followed by the same text after going through the vBulletin post system:
PHP Code:
The [i]quick[/ibrown fox [b]jumped[/bover the lazy [u]dog[/u]. 
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

If I had quoted that using quote tags, it would look like this:
Quote:
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
You simply put the start tag [ quote ] without spaces in front of what you want quoted, and close the quoted text with [ /quote ], obviously again without the spaces.

I hope this helps, for further information please see the built-in vBCode help document located here. It gives you some good information with regard to web links, email addresses, and image posting. Hopefully the image posting will become useful in the near future if the gods of the SVX Network smile on us and bring us into the modern internet age.

Hope this helps!

-Porter

Last edited by Porter; 10-22-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
[bright]I'm not[/bright]

Hey...how come it didn't work?

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 10-22-2003, 04:33 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks Porter,

Worth while and appreciated time and effort on your part.

Why don't we start a " How to post in the " within in the How To Documents. Your info should be kept and available and not be allowed to slide into the archives.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-22-2003, 04:38 PM
Porter

Thanks, Trevor!

[marquee]Some tags are more annoying than others... [/marquee]

Oops, looks like the marquee tag isn't enabled on this board. I'll do some looking and see what's there and what's not.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Alternatively you can use the buttons for bold, italic, underline, and quote which are directly above the box you type in when posting. This will pop up a box that you write in and it automatically inserts the tags. Works well for lazy people me
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:26 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Darksied-X
[bright]I'm not[/bright]

Hey...how come it didn't work?
Porter left out the most important command i.e. You gotta hit the vB code Enahanced Mode button ! Howsat Have a play you can preview and delete your test posts.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-24-2003, 06:57 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor

Porter left out the most important command i.e. You gotta hit the vB code Enahanced Mode button ! Howsat Have a play you can preview and delete your test posts.
Yep! Teh Intarweb is cool. Makes meh feel liek a h@x0r!