How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2003, 11:14 AM

Just hit 300,000 km

My SVX made it to 300,000 km. Only major repair at 120,000 km was the rebuilt tranny. Other minor things, but not one single engine problem. Only had to replace the knock sensors, MAF sensor and one injector coil. Still purrs like a kitten and it has as much get up and go as the day I bought her in 1992. This has been the best car I've ever owned. I own another car but I still drive this one daily. Onward to 400,000 km I go, regards dave
Old 09-30-2003, 05:10 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Just hit 300,000 km

Quote:
Originally posted by laserx
My SVX made it to 300,000 km. Only major repair at 120,000 km was the rebuilt tranny. Other minor things, but not one single engine problem. Only had to replace the knock sensors, MAF sensor and one injector coil. Still purrs like a kitten and it has as much get up and go as the day I bought her in 1992. This has been the best car I've ever owned. I own another car but I still drive this one daily. Onward to 400,000 km I go, regards dave
Great news Dave.

This is a fair and genuine appraisal and record of : -

(1) A one owner car with a valid record.

(2) A properly serviced and driven 1992.

(3) A properly overhauled transmission !!!!

It has always occurred to me, as result of experience with my 130,000 km 1992 daily driver, which is still as new and has given NO trouble except for a windscreen washer nozzle and O ring, that many bad reports cover cars which have suffered abuse. As a result the SVX it would appear has been unfairly stigmatised.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-30-2003 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:45 PM
wolf33h

Long life SVX!

Hi Laserx, Trevor:
Kudos for people who want and know how to keep a good car going! Please tell your secrets and know how to those of us who want to keep the Alcyone going....going...and NOT gone.....
wolf33h
Old 10-01-2003, 04:56 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

So you have 300,000 km on the wheels bearings????

I just want to make sure on this point.

So let us just ASSume that there are still 10,000 running SVX's in the USA and Canada. We have, Oh lets say 100 active users on this board and we have for the most part all had some sort of a major problem unlike Dave.

Does that mean the other 9,900 owners of the SVX do not have major problems also? Well maybe it's more 9,000 or 8,000 but that would still be a lot of reliable SVX's running around.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:59 AM
omahasubaru

Since '99 I make a trip out to an import auto salvage yard from time to time looking for subaru bits & what not (recently swiped an XT washer resivour to use for an I/C sprayer I'm rigging up on my WRX). Sadly, every time out I've seen a different trashed SVX. probablly at least 6 different ones in the 4 years I head out there.

So I'd be the numbers are dwindling.

I'm still torn on weather or not to buy this SVX locally. Today I must decide, but I hope to become part one of the elite SVX owners

This one has had struts, radiator, wheel bearings all replaced!

There is a small leak from the pass. side valve cover gasket (my friends '92 SVX had the same problem when he got it with simlar mileage) but other than that this thing is pretty clean. it needs a rear spoiler though.

I'm glad to see that although some have problems with thier SVX... I haven't seen any major engine problems, just tranny (I can see why) and wheel bearings/rad etc. which have pleged other subaru models as well.

.... I guess I'm just rambling today.

Jon
Old 10-01-2003, 10:33 AM

I see some ppl can't believe this is possible? Tranny wasn't "overhauled transmission" but a rebuilt from the dealer. No, I have not replaced any wheel bearings, still original struts (I have asked at the dealer if they need replacing as I couldn't believe they are still good, the machanic say's no need to replace). To get detailed, I have replaced, the rotors, front 3 times, rear once. Lots of dashboard lights (radio excepted, it's now almost totally black at night) and exterior lights. The rad and condenser was replaced along with the twin cooling fans after an accident along with the hood and headlights, last year. Timing belt and water pump have been changed twice. Other than regular oil changes, (I use dino oil, with rx-auto additive) and once a year flush the tranny, cooling system and power steering, I do nothing special. Believe it or not I've had one "official tune up" and had the plugs changed one other time at just over 200k and it's not that I don't want to spend the money it's just that the head mechanic at the dealer that has taken care of it since day one say's everything is fine, who am I to argue? I have absolutely no rust even though its seen many a winter except on the wiper arms which I had taken off cleaned up, primed and repainted 4 years ago. Maybe I just got lucky with this SVX made 01/92, regards dave
Old 10-01-2003, 12:37 PM

Re: Just hit 300,000 km

Quote:
Originally posted by laserx
My SVX made it to 300,000 km. Onward to 400,000 km I go, regards dave
...music to my ears! thx for the encouragement!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:33 PM

Dave, hows that stebro exhaust, whats it like?

Tom

That's a Subaru
Old 10-01-2003, 04:03 PM

The stebro exhaust, was a great investment. It gave my SVX a couple of things it was missing. One, the nice new sound of powerful car almost with a 5 speed manual and that little extra horsepower, no regrets, dave
Old 10-01-2003, 05:08 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Long life SVX!

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf33h
Hi Laserx, Trevor:
Kudos for people who want and know how to keep a good car going! Please tell your secrets and know how to those of us who want to keep the Alcyone going....going...and NOT gone.....
wolf33h
It appears to me that a major factor arises when cars have had one or more previous owners and have been subject to prior neglect and or abuse. Those here who have had cars from new, from what I can gather, have had the least problems. Poor transmission overhauls and other reported bad repair work can surely not be blamed on Subaru.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Maybe I just got lucky with this SVX made 01/92, regards dave [/B][/QUOTE]

Mine was also built 01/92 & has been relatively trouble free. Must have been due to..... "Hokey, workers-san, Fuji say we take January off from mandatory morning calisthenics, and serve all much saki for noontime meal". "Then please nap much until short work break late in afternoon. Go home now to make wife many happys".

Ron (01/92 many good wines month too).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:34 AM

Registered SVX
PC that is NOT ! but what the hell

Old 10-03-2003, 05:38 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Thanks Dave, for the info. Let us know when you get to 400K ?
ONWARD
Old 10-03-2003, 08:17 AM
wolf33h

Longevity secret

Hi Laserx: very instructive details but I think your real secret is to drive in km, and not miles!