Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-27-2003, 06:43 PM
mark10t

Coolant Sensor Location

Hi, Guys!

Looking for a little help here. I finally got around to running the error codes for my problem and I come up with the following: #21- Coolant Sensor; #56- EGR System.

My symptoms have been a very rough idle and hard start when it's stone-cold in the morning. Once it idles a little while and warms up it runs fine. I think the coolant sensor is telling it it's much hotter than it really is so there is no effective 'choke' or richening of the mixture when it needs it. (I think I've noted the fan running, too, which would support this theory.) This would give secondary symptoms of screwing up the EGR probably, too.

I need to know where the sensor is located. I think I replaced this sensor on my '91 Legacy Turbo Sport and I believe it was 'buried' under one of the intake manifolds, but I'm not sure if it's in the same spot or if they moved it on the SVX.

Can you guys help with some clues?

Thanks!

-Mark
Old 07-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Coolant Sensor Location

Quote:
Originally posted by mark10t
Hi, Guys!

Looking for a little help here. I finally got around to running the error codes for my problem and I come up with the following: #21- Coolant Sensor; #56- EGR System.

My symptoms have been a very rough idle and hard start when it's stone-cold in the morning. Once it idles a little while and warms up it runs fine. I think the coolant sensor is telling it it's much hotter than it really is so there is no effective 'choke' or richening of the mixture when it needs it. (I think I've noted the fan running, too, which would support this theory.) This would give secondary symptoms of screwing up the EGR probably, too.

I need to know where the sensor is located. I think I replaced this sensor on my '91 Legacy Turbo Sport and I believe it was 'buried' under one of the intake manifolds, but I'm not sure if it's in the same spot or if they moved it on the SVX.

Can you guys help with some clues?

Thanks!

-Mark
Mark,
It's not totally clear in this diagram, but, looks like it's still buried. Check it out.

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=036-A
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-28-2003, 09:19 AM
mark10t

Thanks, Randy! I made a copy of the diagram and I'll look to see where it fits. I ordered the part from SubaruParts. com (as long as you had the link up)- They had a net price of about $19.00 (the posted price was wrong at $16.+). I checked with my local dealer- they wanted over $36.00 for the same part (!!??!!).

Hopefully I can get this thing fixed and it won't cough and sputter first thing in the morning any more.

I just hand washed and cleaned the entire interior yesterday. I've been so busy with the new house that I haven' done that in over a year (shame on me!). My poor SVX has been so neglected, but boy this thing is a workhorse, too, besides being a great road car. Did you know you can get 16 10 ft. 2x6's in an SVX?

I've been thinking about you, Randy. How's life without 'Mom'? I appreciated your perspectives on your relationship and loss.

Hopefully I won't be so much of a stranger in the coming months.

Best regards,

-Mark
Old 07-28-2003, 09:48 AM
JLittell

I have to say that the diagrams the subaruparts.com uses really kinda...SUCK!! At least you found what you were looking for!~
Old 07-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
I have to say that the diagrams the subaruparts.com uses really kinda...SUCK!! At least you found what you were looking for!~
The diagrams are taken from the parts catalogues, so, it's about as good as it gets. Even at that, I certainly appreciate the time and work that went into the SVX parts Database at subaruparts.com. If you don' t have access to the actual catalogue, or, you don't have a set of the FSM's, they're a decent barometer for finding a part.

Mark,
I did the same thing yesterday (inside and out detailing on the Evil Twin). It's been a while for me also. Of course, today, it's supposed to rain like crazy. I've often thought about hiring myself out to drought stricken countries and washing my car. I could definitely be a professional rain maker.

As for life without Mom, I still get "washes" of grief when I remember she's not here any more. I'm sure that will pass with time. Meanwhile, a few weeks ago, my grandma passed (my Mom's Mom), so, it was a double whammy. But, grandma was 85 and had lived a full and wonderful life. She had expressed the fact that she was ready to leave this mortal existance after Mom died. It was the second of her five daughters she'd had to bury and didn't think she could take losing another.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Sorry. Glad to see you're back in the swing of things. I've been "scarce" myself, lately. Hope you get your problem sorted out.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-28-2003, 03:21 PM
flynavy

sensor location

i had this same problem...rough idle and a code of 21 would set. i ordered the part from the same website, and was amazed at how quickly it got to me over here in rhode island. anyway, this is one of the easiest fixes on the svx. your were looking at the right diagram. it is part number 8...sticking out of the water pipe. if you are standing over your engine on the driver's side (with the throttle body cover off) look down on the aft end of the manifold. the sensor is right there sticking up with an electrical connector on the top of it. mine was totally corroded and therefore not doing what it was intended to.
hopefully you'll have the same luck and this will fix your problem.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:53 PM
mark10t

Well, mine wasn't corroded, but I traced it's location down from the diagram and it's right out in the open (well, almost- but very easy access) near the tranny dipstick. Hopefully they will get the part out ASAP.

Sorry to hear about your Gramma, Randy. We lost my father-in-law 01/02/03 and my son in the Army Reserves is now over in Iraq. We all know heartache from time to time. Speaking of grandparents.... Did you happen to know that Picklesb1tch (remember him?) lives in my grandparent's old house? Freaky, huh? He's sold(donated) his SVX, so we don't have that in common anymore. (I've got to go 'calling' on him again- I know where he lives!)

Thanks again for the help.

-Mark
Old 07-30-2003, 08:35 PM
mark10t

I got the sensor in yesterday! (Already!) I just ordered it two days ago!! Great service! (......this time- I've had some past orders delayed.)

I swapped out the sensor in about 5 minutes and then 'lifted' the battery (to clear the codes). The same codes returned- even after a 2nd attempt at disconnecting the battery.

I plugged in the blue wires to force-clear the error codes and it finally reset the 'check engine' light.

I took it out for a test drive- nice and smooth. It was especially nice to start it this morning and not have it sputter for several minutes.

Thanks for the help guys!

-Mark

S
s