Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-15-2003, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
Getting ready to install my tranny cooler

Whats' up guys
I'm having my Transmission Cooler installed by my Mechanic on Thursday. I got the BMM-70268 cooler from Summitracing.com.
Well, I guess I just want some advice, is there anything that I should let my mechanic know before he proceeds with the installation? I just figured that since so many of you have gotten the installation you might have some advice. One other thing, where can I get that digital transmission Temp. gauge that I've seen in some pics, and how hard is it to install?
Thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 06:23 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Cooler

Hey SVXgarcia. I've been meaning to PM you about the wiring stuff but I can't seem to find it now. Sorry. I got my digital gauge from Summit as well. I went with the Norsdouq or something like that as its green and fairly close to the original color dash lighting. I didn't install it but if you're decent at wiring you could do it. It has like 5 wires or something I think they used 4. Just depends where you want it. I had sender drilled into the pan (which was dropped at the time). Most people seem to put it on the hoses going out of the pan (which would definately be easier).
Old 07-16-2003, 06:32 AM

Install

Why not install the coooler yourself. I just did it recently myself, it is not that hard to do. I placed my B & M trans cooler in front of my AC condensor. I just tilted the radiator and ac condensor rearward and slid the trans cooler in front. Not that hard. I also installed a transmission filter at the same time. But here is where you can find the digital gauges, sending unit not included with temp gauge:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/products.cfm?Category=138
Old 07-16-2003, 08:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
I would install it myself but I dont like messing with anything in the engine unless i have step by step instructions. I'm very good with manuals and instructions. But thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 09:43 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Getting ready to install my tranny cooler

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXgarcia
Whats' up guys
I'm having my Transmission Cooler installed by my Mechanic on Thursday. I got the BMM-70268 cooler from Summitracing.com.
Well, I guess I just want some advice, is there anything that I should let my mechanic know before he proceeds with the installation? I just figured that since so many of you have gotten the installation you might have some advice. One other thing, where can I get that digital transmission Temp. gauge that I've seen in some pics, and how hard is it to install?
Thanks
There is the question of which order to arrange flow through the auxillary cooler and the stock cooler. I had mine routed first through the stock cooler and then through the auxillary cooler. This is probably better for summer driving because the stock cooler, which runs fairly hot because its in the radiator, can take the first duty of cooling the hot ATF, and then the auxillary cooler gets to do its work.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Cooler

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Hey SVXgarcia. I've been meaning to PM you about the wiring stuff but I can't seem to find it now. Sorry. I got my digital gauge from Summit as well. I went with the Norsdouq or something like that as its green and fairly close to the original color dash lighting. I didn't install it but if you're decent at wiring you could do it. It has like 5 wires or something I think they used 4. Just depends where you want it. I had sender drilled into the pan (which was dropped at the time). Most people seem to put it on the hoses going out of the pan (which would definately be easier).
The site you want for digital gauges is http://nordskogperformance.net They also have a neat little digital plug-in voltmeter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m9025new.jpg (15.6 KB, 98 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 07-16-2003, 10:06 AM
Porter

Re: Re: Getting ready to install my tranny cooler

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

There is the question of which order to arrange flow through the auxillary cooler and the stock cooler. I had mine routed first through the stock cooler and then through the auxillary cooler. This is probably better for summer driving because the stock cooler, which runs fairly hot because its in the radiator, can take the first duty of cooling the hot ATF, and then the auxillary cooler gets to do its work.
Agreed. Run through the stock cooler first, then the auxiliary cooler.... or at your option, eliminate the stock cooler and run only the auxiliary cooler with an external filter in a high-airflow location.