SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2003, 02:09 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Rear Wheel Bearing Out; advice needed

Alright... my passenger rear wheel bearing went out. I got quoted around 400 bucks with bearing and seals. Seem reasonable? Anyway, they said I could get my own parts as well, but my question was about somebody mentioning putting in a legacy bearing, or something beefier. Also, where's the cheapest place to get a rear wheel bearing for the SVX??

Thanks!

- Rob
Old 07-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Rear Wheel bearing

I've always been recommended to do both sides at the same time. Hotshoe posted a place he could get them for real cheap. $400 sounds a litte high from an indie shop but then again I'd pay it if they will be around and will take care of any issues that might arise. You could just get some ear plugs!
Old 07-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
From what I read in the Subaru End Wrench magazine the bearings you're referring to are roller-type replacements for bearings that were originally ball-type bearings. The SVX has always used roller bearings.

No reason to replace both sides at one time unless you have too much money or both sides are bad. Somewhere between $300-$400 per side, parts and labor, is probably going to be the norm around the country, some more, some less. You just want to make sure that the bearings are pressed using a dedicated tool and not mangled with an air hammer or jury-rigged press adaptors. Even Subaru has abandoned their factory supplied press tools for the hub tamer style tool (supplied by the hub tamer manufacturer, no less.)
Old 07-07-2003, 03:47 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Alright, well, the shop I'm taking them to is Import Auto Clinic... they're always working on cool imports (like vintage jags, subies, BMWs, etc etc). Anyway, I'll ask them what they use, he said he didn't use a press, he was saying he uses some other tool, and that you don't need to take the hub all the way outta the car.

- Rob
Old 07-07-2003, 05:02 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
rob cory can press the bearing for oyu and he will follow any instructions you wish having done(more grease etc) also he will let yo udo it with him, so that you know it s done right. Give me a call on my cell and il lget you corys cell phone number
Old 07-07-2003, 05:57 PM
ChronicSVX

can anyone tell me what will happen when a bearing kicks it while you're cruising down a highway at 75mph?(or lower speeds for that matter)
Old 07-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

It makes an obnoxious growling/whirring noise that increases with speed.

- Rob
Old 07-07-2003, 06:20 PM
ChronicSVX

right,right, my SVX's got that rear bearing roar sound but I mean what happens after that? does the roar get really really loud? mines still quiet but I can hear it.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

At 65mph I basically have to almost shout to talk to a passenger. It's ridiculous. :| Mine is REALLY loud at high speed.

- Rob
Old 07-07-2003, 06:34 PM
ChronicSVX

damn!! go easy on the turns man!
Old 07-08-2003, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChronicSVX
can anyone tell me what will happen when a bearing kicks it while you're cruising down a highway at 75mph?(or lower speeds for that matter)
By kicking I'm assuming you mean seizing. Well think about it. A wheel locks up at 75mph.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:57 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

By kicking I'm assuming you mean seizing. Well think about it. A wheel locks up at 75mph.
I drove behind one that did it. The wheel doesn't lock up, the bearing starts to melt and separate and the only thing holding your wheel on is the brake caliper mounts. Lwin's had wore through 75% of the caliper mount and I figure if we hadn't stopped his wheel would have fallen off within another 100 miles.

He has a picture in his locker of the ordeal.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Seraph/2383.jpg

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-08-2003, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

I drove behind one that did it. The wheel doesn't lock up, the bearing starts to melt and separate and the only thing holding your wheel on is the brake caliper mounts. Lwin's had wore through 75% of the caliper mount and I figure if we hadn't stopped his wheel would have fallen off within another 100 miles.

He has a picture in his locker of the ordeal.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Seraph/2383.jpg

Doug
I guess it is all depending on the car and the circumstances. I knew someone who had the wheel lock up, ripped his axle shaft in two and went into the roadside until he could stop. Granted that was in a FWD Chevy Celebrity or something like that but if you're pushing your bearing it'll cost ya in the long run.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:14 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

I guess it is all depending on the car and the circumstances. I knew someone who had the wheel lock up, ripped his axle shaft in two and went into the roadside until he could stop. Granted that was in a FWD Chevy Celebrity or something like that but if you're pushing your bearing it'll cost ya in the long run.

He wasn't pushing it. In fact, he had just picked it up the day before from getting the bearing replaced.

Can you say "Improper installation"???

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-08-2003, 03:10 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
wheel bearing

i just had this done last week. car-quest wheel bearing $54.00, seals from subaru about $10.00, machine shop charge to press the new bearing in $44.63, two hours labor to remove and replace the rear hub. but on the ex-wifes impreza it took at least 4-5 hours for the same drivers side rear wheel bearing. if the lower control arm pivot bolts rust up solid, then you will need the pivot bolt and the hard to replace lower control arm outer bushings and before you start, make sure the parts are in your hand, or you might have to wait a week for parts