SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I haven't read a lot about the SRT-4, but one of the articles I did read was in a Mopar fanzine. The article was a comparison of the SRT-4 and the WRX. Even in this obviously biased magazine, they complained about the SRT-4's handling problems - body roll was an especially big gripe with them. One of the photos even showed the car taking a turn with one rear wheel off the ground.
Eh. No. First, here's a pretty non biased article for you. Look at the skid pad results. The SRT4 handles pretty good.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ro.../012scc_dodge/

As for the inside rear tire lifting.... this happens all the time on almost any FWD pushing it to the limit. VWs, Neons, Hondas, any FWD'r will pull that wheel if it's being run hard. It isn't necessarily bad, it puts more force on that outside tire.

Quote:
What is so brilliant about the SRT-4's suspension, in your opinion, that makes it so awesome?
It isn't exactly brilliant, it just works. Stiff springs, sways, and big beefy brakes in a lightweight stiff chassis make for a good combo (for road racing and stuff).

Quote:
And, yeah, I'd definitely agree that the cars are built for different things - if you can specilize four-door compacts any more, I'd like to see how. If the WRX is 'cushy,' I'd say it's due to the car being built to handle more than the occasional pothole.
Exactly. Take a pothole in the SRT4 and you'll most likely bend a rim, or damage the front fascia, not to mention the jarring ride you have to put up with on a daily basis.

They're different cars. The SRT4 is cheap and fast, but it does it's share of corner cutting. Obviously the WRX is a 'nicer' car, and it'd be a much more comfy daily driver.

- Rob
Old 05-20-2003, 08:37 PM
SVXdriver_007

If that is the same race I've seen before I think the SRT4 is boosting 19 PSI and the guy who did it got the things for the job at Home Depot. Now I'm not making any excuses for the WRX it lost but hey put some snow on the ground and it becomes a differnet sotry. I'm not gonna trash the SRT4 either its a fast car , its cheap but when you put the two together.....I'll just watch it.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:27 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
i think that everyone should just take it for waht it is. a race on tape, with an srt4 winning.
phil
Old 05-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Or take it like this: Both cars are cheap, fast, and easily available, which is more than we could say in the early 90s.

- Rob
Old 05-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: curious

hey rob, i am curious. is that a stock wrx and a stock neon srt4? are you in a neon club rob? if you are can you find a nice little srt-4 in the atlanta area? i have a nice little wrx that may want to race him on a nice safe area. i'll video tape it .
Old 05-21-2003, 12:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
I don't think anything is wrong with these kinds of posts. I like most stuff that has to do with cars... especially cool ones. This has actual media of racing. I give that a big thumbs up... love seein' it. Oh, and Rob, just for you: "Pfft, that is old. I saw it like, forever ago, when it was first posted on the Neon forum. Still cool, though." Just thought you'd like that one, dude.

I think my question, like Harry's, is about if they have any mods. On paper, I would assume a SRT-4 to take a WRX, stock for stock. However, the Neon seemed like an auto and the WRX a manual... loosing a little ground pretty much only on the shift. I also think the WRX would have pulled ahead if given more time. It looked to start catching up in the higher rpms in each gear.

Now, we need a turbo 5/6 speed SVX to race a SRT-4 and WRX.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 05-21-2003, 12:30 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Re: re: curious

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
hey rob, i am curious. is that a stock wrx and a stock neon srt4? are you in a neon club rob? if you are can you find a nice little srt-4 in the atlanta area? i have a nice little wrx that may want to race him on a nice safe area. i'll video tape it .
Eh.... would this be a stock WRX?

If not, I know a daily driven Neon ACR that might want to run him. Did I mention it runs 11s? :P

- Rob
Old 05-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Neon? Argon!

I have about four different magazines that tested the SRT-4 against all the rest, and the Neon came out on top each time.
(GTI...SER-SpecV...V6 Tiberon...MiniCooper....Mazaspeed Protege...SVT Focus...etc.) It wasn't just the power advantage...it had the best tranny and the handling was within an eyelash of the best of the rest. Of course the hp rating is so close to the WRX that it was easy to think of comparisons, but I haven't heard of a head-to-head matchup in any of the magazines yet. One speculated that it would depend more upon the driver than the car. If the car can prove to be in any degree reliable, it has to be the best bang-for-the-buck out there.....

But wait, there is more.

Running around out in the western desert is a not-to-secret V6 Duratec (Cosworth) SVT Focus.

Don

2100 posts!!!
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 05-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: spoke to a member of the imprezza club

ok i spoke to a member of the imprezza club here in atlanta. apparently a race has already taken place. both similiar in mods or stock. whichever way you want to take it. actually the neon and the wrx group intermingle a little here. from a dead stop launch, the wrx beats the srt-4. from rolling 20mph, the neon owns. race was done many times. apparently the neon pulls more in 2nd gear than the wrx. i don't know much about cars so i can't explain it like they can, but that's the general description.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:53 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

question: is the srt-4 awd or fwd?
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 05-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by subafan
question: is the srt-4 awd or fwd?
FWD. It's basically a neon with a bigger engine and a turbo.

- Rob
Old 05-21-2003, 11:10 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

thanks rob
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 05-22-2003, 06:55 AM
RRX

In the latest Road and Track magazine,they did a comparism and the SRT-4 edges out the WRX slightly. I think the SRT-4 is pretty impressive for its price.