Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades

Old 12-20-2011, 08:47 PM

Registered SVX
Re: STi brakes, the brute force way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
Ahh. Got ya. I thought you meant wheels that were already installed on the car with the lower offset. You can indeed just use rims with a lower offset as apposed to the alum. spacers.
ok, good, I too am very very interested in this. with a set of instructions as well if you dont mind, I already have lower offset rims, I know its harder on my bearings which is one reason I want this setup.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:16 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
ok, good, I too am very very interested in this. with a set of instructions as well if you dont mind, I already have lower offset rims, I know its harder on my bearings which is one reason I want this setup.
Keep in mind that because the kit changes the starting offset up front, ideally if you're going to use low offset wheels instead of spacers, you would need to have low offset up front only, and higher offset wheels for the rear.

Otherwise you'll be running effectively a wider track-width at the back than the front, which is especially bad on a car that's already pretty pushy to begin with.

Personally, I'd use the spacers w/ extended lugs up front to return the mounting surface to the factory location, then run +45 (or so) wheels on all four corners.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:01 AM

FYI> Still waiting for the shop to get me a price. They were suddenly initiated with big jobs that take priority. The shop manager apologizes to all of us for the delay.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

any new news to report???
Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 PM

Yup. I just got my parts back yesterday. They have created autocad for each component and have improved on a few of the features. The shop is currently sourcing smaller amounts of materials for the part runs. They are used to doing huge volumes of parts, so Im not willing to pay for the billet by the ton Dont worry, it is happening. Its just taking ungodly amounts of time. But for the "deal" they are working for me, it will be worth it.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:30 AM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

Looks like this thread has been idle for a while I don't know whether to say "Wow" or "Yikes!"

-Mike O
Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

BUMP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny View Post
As concerns mounting aftermarket calipers and rotors, I believe another member* had been working on such a project to make an inexpensive kit for our cars, however he ran into some snags.

Namely that brake hardware must, for safety reasons, be manufactured of the highest quality materials. He had a batch of caliper horns made up but when he had them x-rayed, found the quality lacking - the metal had numerous micro-fractures in it and was therefore unsuitable.

If you have access to better quality stuff, there is no reason that this wouldn't work.

That said, the big plus here is that, as noted, you get the STi hubs, and that you can use anything designed for a car with a huge aftermarket.
Right. This is the reason that most parts are something in the range of a 5140 CR steel that is forged to shape.

That doesn't mean that a billet piece could not do the same work. On the contrary; most brake and suspension components on high end racing vehicles are billet and CNC fabricated. So it becomes a question of material selection. Doing the FEA is not a problem.

I have CNC capability in my shop. Maybe I'll take a crack at caliper adapters.

Right after I finish the strut cartridge project. I suppose I need to write an update on that.

-Mike O
Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 PM

So...

Anything new here?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:35 PM

I was looking forward to this happening but seems it's dead.