How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-15-2011, 10:56 AM

timing belt help

This is my first timing belt.
this belt is about a week old and the timing marks are gone off of the belt.
I need to take off this belt but I am worried about getting it back on properly without the marks on the belt.

Anyone offer me some pointers and help?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Re: timing belt help

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveherman View Post
I need to take off this belt but I am worried about getting it back on properly without the marks on the belt.

Before you take the belt off... line it up and redraw the marks before you remove the belt.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58151

I also posted this link http://phantomotaku.com/SVX/
there's some good manuals there
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 10-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Registered SVX

The belt mark doesn't matter the pulley marks mater. I would not trust belt marks.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
The belt mark doesn't matter the pulley marks mater. I would not trust belt marks.
seriously?...
There are 3 marks on the belt... the Center Crank pulley...and one for each of the Cam pulleys. They must line up with the marks on the Cam pulley and on the crank pulley
http://www.phantomotaku.com/SVX/MSA5TCD95S_8_Engine.pdf
Old 10-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX

I was going to post the images from my photo locker... but the embedding seems to be borked....

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...e=2&ppuser=447

the marks on the belt should line up with the marks on the covers and pulleys so that there are the correct number of teeth between. I think it's 53 to the right and 53 to the left from the center...but that's from memory... the PDF I linked above states the correct numbers in the Engine Timing belt section about half way in.

Last edited by Uncamitzi; 10-15-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:19 PM

ConnSVX is right, the marks on the timing belt don't matter. You can use them when you install the belt for the first time but after that they shift about one tooth per crankshaft rotation. However, the marks that really matter stay aligned (if you did everything right).
Old 10-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
ConnSVX is right, the marks on the timing belt don't matter. You can use them when you install the belt for the first time but after that they shift about one tooth per crankshaft rotation. However, the marks that really matter stay aligned (if you did everything right).
If I were going to install the belt for the first time...(and I did) I would certainly align the marks on the belt with the marks on the pulley covers and the pulleys. I would also spend a bit of time talking about the belt tensioner and using a vise to recompress it ...(with a pin to hold it down until it's reinstalled) the marks will help you make sure the marks on the pulley cover are aligned with the marks on the OUTSIDE of the pulley... it can be a bit hard to line them up if you have old vision (like me)

The count is 53 teeth from center pulley to each mark on the cam pulleys. That should not change
Old 10-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Registered SVX

If you shut off the motor and you touch nothing you could line up the marks. ME and this is just me , I would line up the mechanical marks (pulley to ref marks on the block) timing is timing mistakes are made when you line up just the belt
Old 10-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
If you shut off the motor and you touch nothing you could line up the marks. ME and this is just me , I would line up the mechanical marks (pulley to ref marks on the block) timing is timing mistakes are made when you line up just the belt
Nowhere did I say not to line up to the marks on the pulley cover ...I put links to pictures ALL showing the marks on the pulleys and the pulley cover... MY point is that you will have LESS of a chance at screwing it up if you use BOTH the marks on the belt AND the timing marks on the pulleys and the pulley covers. The number of teeth between the CRANK gear and the cam gear is specific and MARKED on the backside of the belt. IF the marks are worn off the SERVICE MANUAL suggests marking the position of the belt, using the marks on the pulley covers AND the pulleys so that you get the spacing of the belt correct on re-assembly.....

I'm not trying to get in a pissing match here with you CONN.... I'm trying to give help to someone that said they haven't done this before.... I did it myself for the first time and I'm trying to help someone from that point of view.... Not someone like you who has done it a million times....
Old 10-15-2011, 04:39 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I hope that ths helps;
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...svxfiles|34160
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveherman View Post

I have one "pointer"... I have shared this once before but a procedure that I "invented" to make "a picnic" out of lining up the marks correctly when installing a timing belt instead of the chore it sometimes could be is this... This is amazing... it makes the job so easy you almost feel like you have cheated

Unbolt the bottom "center" timing belt idler pulley and put the pulley and the bolt in a place where you can easily find them to put them back on later. Now, you can actually just lay the timing belt in the place... at all the correct positions, exactly where it is supposed to be!. The tensioner must be bolted in place compressed, and remain compressed with its pin in place. leave the pin there for now. Next, simply locate the roller pulley that you just took off a couple of minutes ago, bolt it back on, and torque the bolt properly. The belt will be just snug now, with the idler pully back in place, and the timing belt will remain in the correct position. (if you "laid it on" correctly) Now and only now, "pull the pin" on the tensioner. OK, it's OK! "PULL THE PIN"
This actually works like a champ.
Now, say "thank you" and go to bed!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 10-15-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncamitzi View Post
I'm not trying to get in a pissing match here with you CONN.... I'm trying to give help to someone that said they haven't done this before.... I did it myself for the first time and I'm trying to help someone from that point of view.... Not someone like you who has done it a million times....
+1

For your first time it will be easier if you have marks to line up AS WELL as the marks between the pulleys and the engine.

Another tip is to use a clothes pin or spring clip to hold the belt to the cam wheels while you're positioning the belt around the rest of the pulleys.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Bump for anyone who needs the hep..

I was about to punch myself trying to get it all in place together. "Pin".... Red Text Below {I actually had to put the tensioner in a vice to close it}

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I have one "pointer"... I have shared this once before but a procedure that I "invented" to make "a picnic" out of lining up the marks correctly when installing a timing belt instead of the chore it sometimes could be is this... This is amazing... it makes the job so easy you almost feel like you have cheated

Unbolt the bottom "center" timing belt idler pulley and put the pulley and the bolt in a place where you can easily find them to put them back on later. Now, you can actually just lay the timing belt in the place... at all the correct positions, exactly where it is supposed to be!. The tensioner must be bolted in place compressed, and remain compressed with its pin in place. leave the pin there for now. Next, simply locate the roller pulley that you just took off a couple of minutes ago, bolt it back on, and torque the bolt properly. The belt will be just snug now, with the idler pully back in place, and the timing belt will remain in the correct position. (if you "laid it on" correctly) Now and only now, "pull the pin" on the tensioner. OK, it's OK! "PULL THE PIN"
This actually works like a champ.
Now, say "thank you" and go to bed!

Keith
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles

Last edited by ShiuludeSVX; 10-25-2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Emphasis