Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Any WRX/STi owners out there?

I've been promising myself one of these two since I was a wee lad in high school when you could only get the 2.5RS and, now I'm getting close to getting one (pending the reveal of the 2015 redesign in November). As I think more about it I have to wonder if getting the STi is worth the extra ~$10k. In all honestly, I will rarely, if ever drive the car on a track (nearest one is in pretty sad shape) so I can't say the added performance of the STi will ever be used to its potential but the 14 year-old in me keeps saying I neeeeed it.

Anyone with a WRX wish they had gotten the STi? Anyone with an STi have been happy with the WRX instead?
Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Hater

Re: Any WRX/STi owners out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post
I've been promising myself one of these two since I was a wee lad in high school when you could only get the 2.5RS and, now I'm getting close to getting one (pending the reveal of the 2015 redesign in November). As I think more about it I have to wonder if getting the STi is worth the extra ~$10k. In all honestly, I will rarely, if ever drive the car on a track (nearest one is in pretty sad shape) so I can't say the added performance of the STi will ever be used to its potential but the 14 year-old in me keeps saying I neeeeed it.

Anyone with a WRX wish they had gotten the STi? Anyone with an STi have been happy with the WRX instead?

the current WRX is faster than the STi in a straight line, but the STi transmission can handle more power and the suspension is better. chances are, you won't get the STi's added benefits unless you track it.

take your chances on ringland failure with either, or get an Evo

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-07-2013, 08:28 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

The 16-year-old in me justified a new STi in 2005 with "I never had a chance to buy a car like this when I was younger"; the middle-aged-man in me justified it with "this car is an instant classic, and Subaru will never build a car like this again."

The early STi's are raw, visceral cars, noisy and harsh and tough if you don't like it. Jeremy Clarkson famously said they should have named it the Subaru "you, outside, now." They demand the driver's attention, and they punish you if you don't give it. Mine had squeaks and rattles on day one - it still does, and I still don't care, 110K miles later. I'm never selling it. I still smile every time I drive it.

Subaru has been softening the edges every year, so now the STi is a lot more liveable in daily use. The differences between the WRX and STi has been diminishing too. In 2005 virtually every engine, drivetrain, suspension, and brake component was different - beefier - on the STi. The wheelbase was longer. The track was wider. I think these days the engines are very close in nature, and the WRX brakes and suspension are closer to the STi too.

My current favorite hotrod Subie looks-wise is the WRX 4-door sedan. Muscular but not brash about it. If I were shopping today I'd drive that and an STi, and then make up my mind. Do I wish I had gotten WRX in 2005 instead? No frackin' way. But I almost bought a WRX wagon (or the Saabaru equivalent) several times in the intervening years. A GD-body WRX wagon is a true do-everything car. Like you, I'm interested to see if Subaru produces a worthy replacement for it, and for the STi.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss

Last edited by wdb; 09-07-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

I love my WRX. moreso than any car I've owned. Don't regret it one bit,.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post

The early STi's are raw, visceral cars, noisy and harsh and tough if you don't like it. Jeremy Clarkson famously said they should have named it the Subaru "you, outside, now." They demand the driver's attention, and they punish you if you don't give it. Mine had squeaks and rattles on day one - it still does, and I still don't care, 110K miles later. I'm never selling it. I still smile every time I drive it.
first US STi's were the best-looking. best radio, too.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 PM

Registered SVX

My 2011 legacy lease is up on oct 4th, so I been out test driving subarus..
Test drove the BRZ, I hated it.. Thought I would like it, but I didn't.
Test drove a 2013 impreza, hated it, felt like a crappier version of a legacy.
Test drove a forester, fun little crossover, I wan to test drive a 2014 XT now..
Tested the WRX wagon, liked it, but I don't want a manual anymore.. :/
I'm trying to find a legacy 3.6R to test drive and can't find one.

So far I want my 2001 2.5RS back, really wish I had not totaled that car...

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 09-07-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:45 PM

wdb:
You have a very good point. The WRX and STi used to be very different cars. Admittedly, they are similar cars now but they still have their stark differences.
I'd never use the DCCD system but the different drive modes (intelligent, sport, sport sharp) are a little attractive. Also, the gauge cluster looks too simple without the added info screens in the WRX.
As much as I like the status and ability that comes with the STi, the boy-racer side of it is a bit much for me anymore.

Lookin4SVX:
I feel you on the latest Impreza; it just felt really cheap to me and the noise it made when mated to the CVT was insufferable. I'm surprised you found a dealer willing to let you drive a BRZ! None of them in my area will let me do more than sit in them without a serious intent of purchase. Maybe that's the difference. I used to really like the Forester but it has really bloated out in recent years. The dealer here has a 3.6R if you're really wanting to drive one!

Truth be told, I'll most-likely end up with a WRX. I need something more grown up and, if it were still available, I'd be all over the Legacy GT.

For those who are interested, it seems a Japanese magazine caught the next-gen in the flesh and I kinda like it!
http://imgur.com/a/YEBA8
Old 09-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Hater

Quote:

Truth be told, I'll most-likely end up with a WRX. I need something more grown up and, if it were still available, I'd be all over the Legacy GT.
no Evo? the MR is more understated than the GSR with body-colored vents (and small lip spoiler on the new ones), and is a great daily driver. in "normal" its mild mannered, "sport" is crazy, snd "super-sport" is ridiculous. Tarmac, Gravel (Rain), and Snow settings for the diff, also. if you need a big trunk, forget it, though.

Quote:
For those who are interested, it seems a Japanese magazine caught the next-gen in the flesh and I kinda like it!
http://imgur.com/a/YEBA8
that is actually pretty decent-looking!

Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
no Evo?
No, no Evo. I understand it's an awesome car but I've not been impressed with Mitsu lately. To be honest, I'm surprised they still have as much of a lineup as they do. On top of that, the dealer here in town went belly up a couple years ago.

At the end of the day, I've always been a Suby person; they hold a special place in my .

/resume manly conversation

Quote:
no Evo?
that is actually pretty decent-looking!
I like how it has a kind of long and low look to it, similar in shape to the Mazda 6, with the hip line higher in the back than in the front. Interesting placement of the mirrors... wonder how well that will hold up?
Old 09-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Hater

Quote:
No, no Evo. I understand it's an awesome car but I've not been impressed with Mitsu lately. To be honest, I'm surprised they still have as much of a lineup as they do. On top of that, the dealer here in town went belly up a couple years ago.
lately? i was never impressed with Mitsubishi. i never thought i'd own one, especially after owning 4 Subarus in a row. i've not been impressed with Subaru lately. the Evo is an amazing car - unfortunately its the only Mitsu i'd ever consider buying. surprisingly enough, its the first car i've owned that i haven't replaced the stereo or speakers in - the stock one is that good, at least to me. its built very well - a bunch of BOLTS secure the undertray, unlike Subaru's crappy plastic clips.

Quote:
At the end of the day, I've always been a Suby person; they hold a special place in my .
yeah, that used to be me. maybe again, if they ever get their **** together.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
= ...surprisingly enough, its the first car i've owned that i haven't replaced the stereo or speakers in - the stock one is that good, at least to me...
Stereotypical Subaru owner here: radio spends more time on NPR than anything else. Except during election season and weekends...
Maybe that explains the crappy radios and speakers?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:

I've had Liberty's, WRX's, STI's, Forester's and Outback's... the lot... oh and the SVX.

I think, the STI is an awesome weekend / fun car for a bit of spice. There is enough extra bits over the WRX plus the "brand" is more than enough. Could flog this car for a long time and it would just laugh at you and eat it all up. Very easy to untap the beast with some minor mods and a tactrix cable. Would be good for someone who uses public transport to get to work and then wants fun on the weekends. The proper STI 6MT's are devine and I'm not sure but if you can get it, grab a plated rear diff... 100 times more fun than the rubbish torsion units!

The WRX is a nice daily driver, heaps of fun and lots of power. Easy to untap with tactrix cable but at the end of the day, it's not an STI and sooo many owners wish they'd got the STI - so if you can afford it and you're considering it get the STI - even one a couple of years old! Of course if you've got no interest in the STI, then the WRX is a no brainer.

A couple of years ago I had to get something for long distance, comfort, daily driven and would be able to tow an STI RA racecar and a boat.

I choose a MY11 Forester S Edition. Basically it's a Forester chassis, with the WRX engine / turbo and a STI style flappy paddle 5EAT gearbox with sporty suspension and I can easily turn the boost up with the tactrix cable. Being a Forester it's high off the ground, extremely quick, lazy around town, can tow almost double the STI / WRX and is one of the most comfortable cars I've ever been in. The best of all the Subaru worlds IMO haha.

So it depends on what you want. I reckon my next car will be a BRZ... a mate of mine has one and what a wicked fun car. Extremely well balanced and a heap of fun and I can see why they're so popular as they're simply a really fun car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: