How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-16-2002, 12:24 PM
92SvxChick

Lightbulb A little help for anyone doing a 5 speed swap

Here's a little help for anyone doing a 5 speed conversion on their SVX....well, as per Huck's instructions... from the NSS wiring harness the black wire w/yellow tracer and the blue wire w/white tracer are the two wires that go to the clutch switch which allow the use of cruise and clutch depression start. Now, from the same wiring harness, the green wire w/black tracer and black wire w/white tracer are the reverse switch lights. All four wires are in line with eachother. I just thought this could save some people alot of time. I know it sure would have for me

Megan
Old 11-16-2002, 03:04 PM
I hate stupid people!

Send a message via AIM to BoominSVX
Are you doing your 5 speed swap yourself? I am just curious cause I live in mass, and would like to find someone around here to help me with it. How much have you spent to get through the process so far. Let me know. Mike
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:06 PM
92SvxChick

Talking 5 speed swap

Yes...I am about 2 days away from a finished product 5 speed conversion in my 1992 Pearlie SVX...I have spent about $750-$800 total so far...but I have a connection at a junk yard so I got the Legacy tranny w/ everything including pedals, shifter, cluch and such for about $300...I did purchace a new Legacy cluch though. I don't drive my car aggressive enough yet to get an expensive clutch. When I burn this one up i'll spring for the $600 one. Can't wait for the 1st drive. My car has been off the road since early summer Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck to you!!!

Megan
Old 11-16-2002, 04:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
I noticed you mentioned getting several parts from a Legacy, can a person just buy a wrecked Legacy and have everythng they need to make the conversion? I think I have read posts on here somewhere that the person used parts from different models of Subarus to do the job and do you know which year ranges of Legacy works on the 92 SVX? one more thing, and this might sound dumb, but do you neet to use the differential from the Legacy and what about the ratio of the front and rear differentials.. do you have to get the rear one too to make things match? Thanks
Vernon
Old 11-16-2002, 05:30 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: A little help for anyone doing a 5 speed swap

Quote:
92SvxChick wrote
... from the NSS wiring harness ... the green wire w/black tracer and black wire w/white tracer are the reverse switch lights.
Do these same wires light up the "R" light on the dash? Or are the dash lights (P/N/R/D/3/2/1) controlled by another wiring harness (to the gearshift lever, perhaps)? [thinking of ways to make the dash lights work with a 5-speed, with a new "R/5/4/3/2/1/N" label of course ]

Great job on the budget 5-speed conversion. Much better than $4K!!
Old 11-16-2002, 05:49 PM
92SvxChick

Talking Give me a call

Anyone who has any questions...don't hesitate to give me a call..
I'll be at my shop...the # is 518-747-0166. We are here all the time.

Megan
Old 11-16-2002, 06:53 PM

You beat me to the friendly gesture! I was going to post the wire colors. Now I will have to think of something else to post....

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:52 PM
92SvxChick

Lots of insight!!!

AutoTchr,

I'm sure there are many more Q & A's about the 5 speed swap. Luckily we all have Huck's initial instructions to go by. God knows that if it weren't for him my car would probably be parted out or in a junk yard right now Thanks a million Huck!!!!!

Megan
Old 11-16-2002, 07:56 PM
92SvxChick

Exclamation Hey SVXdc....

SVXdc,

The wires i decribed earlier in the post are for the reverse lights on the tail light portion of the car only....The reverse light in the insrument cluster is a different wiring harness. I am not sure if or how you would go about hooking that up. Sorry

Megan
Old 11-16-2002, 10:53 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Hey SVXdc....

Quote:
92SvxChick wrote
The reverse light in the instrument cluster is a different wiring harness. I am not sure if or how you would go about hooking that up. Sorry
No problem. I'll figure out a way [sound of gears whirring in SVXdc's head...].

Say, did the Legacy pedals and shifter rods work without mods, or did you have to do some surgery like Huck did?

Please post some pictures when you finish (w/ new color too)!

For anyone else reading who is wondering where to find Huck's instructions, here it is... Huck369's 5 Speed Mod.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:46 AM
92SvxChick

Talking Pedals and shifter rods...

I wasn't so lucky to have the pedals and shifter rods work without some mods...They weren't too awfully time consuming but it would have been nice if they fit Oh well, I guess that the finished product will be worth it.

Megan
Old 11-17-2002, 07:41 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Re: Lots of insight!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 92SvxChick
AutoTchr,

I'm sure there are many more Q & A's about the 5 speed swap. Luckily we all have Huck's initial instructions to go by. God knows that if it weren't for him my car would probably be parted out or in a junk yard right now Thanks a million Huck!!!!!

Megan
Gosh, you're go'na make me blush
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 11-17-2002, 05:25 PM
92SvxChick

Talking It's true!

Huck,

Without your know how....alot of people would be very disappointed to have to keep replacing their auto tranny's or have their car go to waste. We all thank you!

Megan
Old 11-17-2002, 05:45 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Re: It's true!

Quote:
Originally posted by 92SvxChick
Huck,

Without your know how....alot of people would be very disappointed to have to keep replacing their auto tranny's or have their car go to waste. We all thank you!

Megan
Megan,
It wasn’t necessarily know how, but more like, not letting the fact that I didn’t know what the heck I was doing stop me!
I’m glad to see the fruits of my labor are helping fellow members (you’ve all paid your dues…right ) make their car the way they want it.

......Of course if you want to send me a big fat check,...that'd be OK too.

Glad it's working out for you guys
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 11-21-2002, 09:30 AM
92SvxChick

Talking 5 Speed Swap Completed

Well, after alot of hard work and many broken parts...My 5 spped swap is now completed. It should be back on the road this weekend. Today i am going to be putting in my brand new radiator and hopefully my hitching a ride days will be over!!! Wooo Hooo! God bless Huck! Thanks for everyones help during the swap.

Megan