Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Paul Harvey, 47 years ago.

http://stg.do/9LDc

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Re: Paul Harvey, 47 years ago.

Wow, frightenly prophetic or, then again, we sure haven't improved any in 47 years.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)

Last edited by bwb3; 11-05-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX

I miss Paul H.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Now with more color

Objects of the most stupendous magnitude, and measure in which the lives and liberties of millions yet unborn are intimately interested, are now before us. We are in the very midst of a revolution the most complete, unexpected and remarkable of any in the history of nations.

John Adams, letter to William Cushing, June 9, 1776

Public affairs go on pretty much as usual: perpetual chicanery and rather more personal abuse than there used to be... Our American Chivalry is the worst in the world. It has no Laws, no bounds, no definitions; it seems to be all a Caprice.

John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson, April 17, 1826

Public virtue cannot exist in a nation without private, and public virtue is the only foundation of republics. There must be a positive passion for the public good, the public interest, honour, power and glory, established in the minds of the people, or there can be no republican government, nor any real liberty: and this public passion must be superior to all private passions.

John Adams, letter to Mercy Warren, April 16, 1776

Jerry
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Do you know how you are only seeing this from one perspective?

This Paul Harvey person, I have no idea who he is, but I have seen many like him.

His beliefs are his own. If HE was "Satan", he would do what HE would do.

Is he purporting to know what a supernatural being would do, or is he just guessing and making it up as he goes based on his own limited interpretation of his one perspective?

Nobody prays to the government. I don't know this for a fact, but consider this an opportunity to take your own survey and find out, let me know if I'm wrong.

To be honest it sounds to me like he is describing Capitalism. "The devil" doesn't push pills, pharmaceutical companies who want your money do. "The devil" doesn't push the media to be violent or risque, it is what is profitable.
"The devil" doesn't make people fight amongst themselves, our insatiable urge to be right and correct and be superior to others does. Intellectually superior, ideologically superior, monetarily superior, religiously superior...

All you have to do is stop thinking you are the correct one when there are many interpretations of what is "correct."

This concept of "evicting god from the courthouse" is misleading. Our laws are not based on the Bible, therefore religion has no place in deciding how to punish "criminals". That would be favoring Christianity which is against the Constitution.

Science is not "deified". Science is a method with which understanding of the natural world is accumulated.
Do any of you own a car, computer, synthetic fabrics, or modern medicines?
Then you owe your lifestyle not to science, but to educated people who use science to understand and manipulate the physical world for YOUR benefit.

Way to apologize for the pedophiles. I didn't molest that boy, "the devil" made me do it.

I have a particular problem with this quote:

- "I would take from those who have and I would give to those who wanted, until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious."

Here is the real test of his "prophecy". Is ambition dead? No. Who has created the things he derides earlier in his rambling about science and media? The ambitious. He acts as if he wants to protect the ambitious here, and yet if they do not act by his personal standard they are influenced by "the devil" that he has so conveniently spoken for.

The reason why he does not want you to be intelligent is not because he believes it is the devil's influence, but because he knows that even with a meager intelligence it is plain as day how little he understands of what he is talking about.

So as "the devil" he would caution against extremes? Of course he would, his position is extreme!

I agree with him that people are too easily led on by advertising, but this man had no idea the actual problems we would be facing today.

His entire premise relies on the assumption that a supernatural thing he calls "the devil" is at work, yet he contends that he is somehow immune. I wonder if you think you are immune because you agree with him?

How do you know Paul Harvey isn't the devil himself? You don't. That is something worth considering.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX

Paul Harvey was from a time before most of us here. Hence his values were from that time period. A time when the majority of this country had faith in God and believed in what that and this country stood for. Paul was from the "Greatest Generation", a term coined by Tom Brokaw to show, before and during WW2, that the "men and women fought not for fame and recognition, but because it was the right thing to do. When they came back they rebuilt America into a superpower."
PH was in radio beginning in 1933 and was listened to at his peak by over 24mill people weekly. He was very respected for his views and wit for his entire career.

Trying to "analyze" a narrative that was spoken almost 50yrs ago using todays values and in your perspective does a disservice to him and that generation.

Just my humble opinion and .02
Old 11-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbone View Post
Paul Harvey was from a time before most of us here. Hence his values were from that time period. A time when the majority of this country had faith in God and believed in what that and this country stood for. Paul was from the "Greatest Generation", a term coined by Tom Brokaw to show, before and during WW2, that the "men and women fought not for fame and recognition, but because it was the right thing to do. When they came back they rebuilt America into a superpower."
PH was in radio beginning in 1933 and was listened to at his peak by over 24mill people weekly. He was very respected for his views and wit for his entire career.

Trying to "analyze" a narrative that was spoken almost 50yrs ago using todays values and in your perspective does a disservice to him and that generation.

Just my humble opinion and .02
THANK you!! You handeled this WAY better than I would have!!

Jerry