Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX
Prototype Spoiler

Hi all, i've had this idea in the back of my head since i got my svx, and i was wondering if anyone else has done it/thought of it. i found pictures of someone who had done it, but i can't remember where they were on the vast land of intern3tz. anyway, what i wanted to do is use my spoiler and add a little bondo or fiberglass to it to make it flush with the trunk, like the prototype svx was.

the only thing is, i'm not very fond of how far back the wing sticks out:

i can't tell from this picture, but it looks like this guy did what i want. it just looks cleaner to me.

stock wing, just a little bit added to the sides to make it flush. comments/ideas? it's just a thought of mine, and i still have to fix a few things before i invest money on cosmetic issues. what would i need to do to achieve this? is it a big deal? thanks!
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Prototype Spoiler

The red car IS the prototype. It started it's life silver and was repainted red by Subaru a few years later.

What you want to do sounds really cool... I think finding a good fabricator/custom body place to do it is the trick.

The Trunk is fiberglass so it would be a pretty basic job as far as materials... just talent is needed to make that shape just right!

Have fun with it!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:16 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=50767&page=5

You're welcome
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

I thought that picture of the red car was a 3d rendering?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

YES. THANK YOU. that is exactly what i want to do. i think that looks so much cleaner. such simple things can make such big differences. are there any pictures of the finished product? also, the JDM wing is too high for this, i don't like it. i would keep my wing and blend it into the trunk. maybe i'll get some black clay or playdough and see how it looks
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 AM

Registered SVX

I have looked into this some (including PMs back and forth with Elliott) and here are my conclusions:

1 you need a pearl white or maybe silver car and a US, not JDM style wing.

2 and a really good body shop to do the work.

3 you need to get the spoiler, shave off some of the base of it so that it has a better angle of attack (if you don't it will angle downward at the back, creating lift instead of downforce and looking silly), and slide it back 1.5 to 2 inches (elliott went too far back).

4 you need to delete the antenna and add some material to the sail panels so that the tips of the spoiler start way up there.

5 use lots of whatever kind of filler to smooth it out.

6 the spoiler is hollow, you have to make holes somewhere for air to escape otherwise when it heats up the spoiler might pop.

7 you can actually put an antenna inside the spoiler or somewhere else inside the trunklid. They are fiberglass, so you should still get reception just fine.

8 bonus points for relocating the middle brake light from the trunklid to the spoiler. might as well while you're at it, right?

9 If done right, the sail panels and trunk should be able to be removed and replaced and the trunk should be able to open and close freely just like stock. Plug and play
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 10-17-2011, 06:33 AM

Registered SVX

If I went that far I would shave the door handles and power operate the doors. looks like it in the primer version
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=50767&page=5
Old 10-17-2011, 11:18 AM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

i like it. i would do all of that, minus the tail light in the wing, because i would then have to fill the trunk more. ballpark, how much do you think this would cost? (not even slightly serious, i'm just toying with the idea for future reference. now i know it is indeed possible).
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

Old 10-17-2011, 11:40 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4 You View Post
i like it. i would do all of that, minus the tail light in the wing, because i would then have to fill the trunk more. ballpark, how much do you think this would cost? (not even slightly serious, i'm just toying with the idea for future reference. now i know it is indeed possible).
I'm not sure, but I know it would cost a very large chunk of money.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Forget all that. I want the 5 spoke star rims!!!!!!

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything