Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-27-2011, 01:27 AM

Quick starter question

I'm pretty sure I have a shot starter. It has not been cranking up like usual lately and it apparenently died today. Headlights come on good and the dash lights etc...Battery is good. My question is can I change out the starter from under the hood or do I have to get under the car. I have changed one out in this car years ago and I think I did it from the top. I want to avoid paying a towing fee if possible. Its sitting about two miles from home. Any help on this appreciated.

Mike
Old 09-27-2011, 11:30 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Quick starter question

you can take it out from the top if you want. have to do some reaching around but it's not too bad. if you have someone with you you can have them smack the starter with a hammer while you crank it. this usually gets marginal starters to work a few more times so you can drive it home.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:21 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

If you haven't already, try jumpering the starter solenoid directly from the battery. That will help determine if it's actually the starter or solenoid that's bad, or the circuits leading up to it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-27-2011, 03:34 PM

Registered SVX

if that doesnt work, i believe its 2 14mm bolts that need to come off,
it is possible to take it off from the top or bottom you'll have to take the intake off though i think and just get by the hoses
Old 09-27-2011, 03:47 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Yes, they are both 14mm, and I found it a lot easier to take it out from the top than the bottom, even with a clutch master cyl in the mix.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album