Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-28-2002, 02:49 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Exclamation tranny failing??????????

Here's the story, I was on my way to the DMV to pick up a driver's manual for my girlfriend. I was almost on E so I decided to fill it up at the Hess Station along the way (before anyone asks, I got premium, not regular). I got to the DMV and back (about 15min either way) with no problems. Then I stopped off at the local video store. I went to back out of the spot and instead of rolling the car just kinda sat when I put it in reverse so I gave it some gas. Not thinking much of it I put it in drive expecting to roll forward, but nothing happened. I gave it a little gas and it kind of jumped forward. Then I got to a red light, when it turned green the same thing happened. I got home and I went around the block stopping and then letting off the brake to see if it would roll, but it didn't. I parked it and notice that it was idleing at around 500rpm, usually it idles around 1000rpm. So I came inside to ask, is my tranny failing? Is it just bad gas? (I will never go to Hess again) Anyone have some Pepto-Bismol? (couldn't resist, I had to cheer myself up somehow). Please help

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 10-28-2002, 02:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Do you have a dealer service department in the area that you trust? That sounds so very familiar to symptoms I had back in July. I stopped driving the car immediately and had it trucked to the dealer. A tech there recognized the problem and did the following:

filter replacement
ATF flush

Clogged fluid passages, or a totally clogged screen, can cause a drop in the ATF pressure. Since ATF acts as not only a coolant, but also a hydraulic fluid to move things around in the tranny, a drop in pressure can cause your car to stop shifting.

I recommend having a Subaru dealer (or anybody you trust) flush the tranny and replace the internal (and external, if you have it) filter.

Do not backflush. Make absolutely sure that the shop is going to flush in the direction of the fluid path, and not opposite. This totally replaces your ATF with clean, happy fluid.

Of course, your symptoms could be caused by other things, probably electrical given the sudden change in behavior. When you start the car, does the power light flash?

I wouldn't blame the gas - that's not the problem.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-28-2002, 02:58 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Try looking at the easy stuff. What color is the fluid? Ya got an external filter? When was it changed last? Changed trans fluid?
Old 10-28-2002, 03:27 PM
No longer blue member

Not the fluid...

I checked the fluid, everything is fine. It's full and still redish not brown. I changed the ATF in July, only put on about 2k since then. It does not have an external filter (or the factory one for that matter because it is a 92). Yes the powerlight does flash, I don't know if it's from this though because the tranny resistor was starting to fail so I took it off and I know this makes the light flash. There are no problems shifting (that I can tell atleast).

P.S. The car is kind of rolling now in drive, not as it used to, but atleast its moving without having to hit the gas.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 10-28-2002, 04:09 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I can't say that I've noticed any tranny probs to go with it however mine regulary idles at 500 - 600 rmp in park once it's warmed up. I never thought anything of it but assumed it was normal. I wonder if I should be worried.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:33 PM
Boone

Normal idle speed is 510 to 710 rpm, 750 to 850 with accesories on. (controlled by the ECU)
Old 10-28-2002, 04:46 PM
No longer blue member

Hmmm....

Maybe it's getting over a cold then instead of getting a new one. Maybe it was that bottle of Dayquill in the gas tank. I'll see how it runs in the morning.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-02-2002, 05:56 AM

hey if you are still having a problem, im me and i can set you up with my mechanic...highly recomended and highly trusted. not to far away either.. i could go down with you if you wanted..let me know...hopefully you just need some dayquill.....

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:46 AM
Tired

Planetary gear failure?

Mine would shift fine when cold but when heated up would do the things you have described. Took mine to a transmission shop and it was Planetary Gear failure. Had it rebuilt. 5 years later working ok.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!