How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Possible to change the IRIS valve large O ring?

I found oil on top of the motor and this is the first time I looked at that area after doing a complete engine seal r/r, intake manifold gaskets r/r, new PCV, hose, etc. The four nuts holding the IRIS valve to the intake are in fact wet with oil. No, my PS Pump O ring is not leaking!

Question is I haven't figured out a way to replace this large O ring and perhaps it's not even possible. I can live with the slight oil leak if I have to but I'd rather change the O ring. The current O ring is very hard so it's time to replace I bet.

Has anyone r/r this O ring? If so, what's the secret? I don't think I'll be able to get the IRIS valve out but perhaps I can wiggle the O ring out?

Thanks for any inputs.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E

Last edited by alia176; 07-25-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Possible to change the IRIS valve large O ring?

My guess is you'd have to remove the intake to replace the O ring. It's pretty tight in there.

You also want to figure out why an excessive amount of oil is pooling in the intake in the first place. Might be a good idea to change the PCV valve. Also remove your intake boot and get all the oil out of it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 07-26-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Re: Possible to change the IRIS valve large O ring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
My guess is you'd have to remove the intake to replace the O ring. It's pretty tight in there.

You also want to figure out why an excessive amount of oil is pooling in the intake in the first place. Might be a good idea to change the PCV valve. Also remove your intake boot and get all the oil out of it.
The PCV is new but you bring up a good point. After searching this topic, it seems that lots of folks have oil puddle directly under the IRIS valve so it doesn't sound like anything unusual.

I don't know why the hell I didn't change this O ring when I had the intake off last year pretty stupid move on my part. That O ring is hard as a rock too.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E