Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-06-2002, 07:21 PM

Unhappy it's dieing

I've have a 92 svx. Great car but it's becoming quite a pain. The trans went out about a month ago. So i fixed it. along with the rest of the drivetrain, motor excluded. But now i've got a power steering leak and a motor oil leak. The p/s leak is bad. I'm tring to figure out what i should do from here. The car currently had 204,500 miles on it. Will it just go down hill from here? Can somebody please voice there opinion on what they think i should do. Thanks
Old 10-06-2002, 08:08 PM
billisa

Hard to say, but...

How's the car basically running? Engine oil leaks are usually not indicative of a serious flaw, just a bad seal. So assuming you get the P/S fixed and the cam seals replaced on the engine, how do you think the car would be? You might just have a fine vehicle for another 50k miles! Maybe more. Have you owned this one since it was new, or for long enough so that you know how it's truely been maintained? If it's been well maintained, now with a new transmission, it may well be worth spending a bit more on it and keeping it. If you're not sure about the condition, do you have a mechanic who isn't biased and who knows the SVX?
Old 10-07-2002, 06:33 PM

the car runs great, motor is super strong. i've prolly replaced about half the car. i know the car wasn't taken care of when i got it. so all the money i have left i've been putting into the car. but anyways. is there any major flaws that is common with these things?
Old 10-07-2002, 08:23 PM
billisa

Major flaws?

Transmissions, wheel bearings. ANY individual car might have a particular flaw not common to all, but if you've had the trans done and the engine runs great, why not get the seals fixed and keep on driving? Maybe have a knowledgeable mechanic really look it over, because sight unseen, it's impossible for anyone to give definitive advise on your particular vehicle.