Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-02-2009, 12:27 PM

4.44 swap issue

I just finished my 4.44 swap and everything went pretty smoothly. However, I now have a very loud metallic clunk when shifting into "R". It sounds just like the bad U-joint did on my old Plymouth. I can't tell if the sound is coming from the rear diff but it's definitely in that vicinity.
So my question is; could I have messed up the gear change somehow that would result in this? Could my rear axles have been wrecked somehow, they did dangle for a bit...
I followed some instructions I found on here using the svx housing, replacing the pinion and ring gear.

Any ideas?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 AM

Re: 4.44 swap issue

After further investigation I've concluded that the loud clang is not my rear diff, it's the drive shaft.
When I swapped my transmission I also packed the rear differential bushing and the transmission mount with urethane. The added rigidity really amplified an existing problem with the front u-joint in the drive shaft.
The clang had me convinced that the issue was in the rear of the car but after crawling underneath and checking things out it became quite clear where the noise was originating.

The drive shaft u-joint doesn't even seem that bad, it sure does make a lot of noise though.

So what the consensus on what to do with a bad drive shaft? repair/buy new/buy used/buy rebuilt?