Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Before dumping any mystery gunk into your engine, you should probably take a shot at using seafoam to clean the injectors, ect. If there's anything that'll burn gunking up the engine, it'll get smoked out all in one shot

A quick question: Does the car smoke during start-up?This could shed some light on the situation, especially if you discover its infact oil burning and not fuel
I have used other injecter cleaners but not the SeaFoam. I did use it earlier this year to clean off the carbon on my tail pipes. MAN does that stuff eat carbon!! I have never seen a product do that.

Since I am usually sitting in my car when I start it I did know if it smokes. Well I do know there is no BIG cloud going out the back. My old Chevy van used to this. So I just checked the SVX. It's been sitting for about 36 hours. I started the SVX and got out to the back. Tail pipe exhaust is clean. No smoke at start-up.

That is a nice thing about the boxer engine. I am sure the valve seals are gone all dried out and cracked. The leaking valve stems are usually the path for oil into the engine at start-up. Espisically after the engine sits. With the boxer design the oil can't run done the valve stem and drip into the engine cause the valves are horizontal. Much bigger problem on the upright engines.

So any other thoughts on this?

Maybe it is just valve stem oil leakage?

Thanks

John
Old 08-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsvx
It's pretty good stuff for working 'with' the oil to stop any oil consumption that is not seal related.
Not really considered one of the 'additives' since it works independently of the oil.
Here's a link to an independent test of the product.

http://www.atvconnection.com/Feature...e-Restorer.cfm

Can't hurt to try it.
Yeah, like I said, it's one of the few pour in solutions that seems to do anything. I didn't have oil consumption, but after using it my SVX got pretty incredible gas milage, for me anyway. I didn't know using it again helps even more. If that's the gas, I'll definitely be using some on my next oil change.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I found this. 40 things that increase oil consumption
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/motor...onsumption.htm

I am leaning toward increased main bearing, connecting rod clearance and valve stem sealing as well as sticking pistion rings.

3. Worn or Damaged Main Bearings
Worn or damaged main bearings throw off an excessive amount of oil which flows along the crankshaft and is thrown up into the cylinders. The amount of oil throws off increases rapidly when bearing wear increases. For instance, if the bearing is designed to have .0015” clearance for proper lubrication and cooling, the throw off of oil will be normal as long as this clearance is maintained and the bearing is not damaged in any way. However, when the bearing clearance increases to .003”, the throw off will be five times normal. If the clearance is increased to .006”, the throw off will be twenty-five times normal. When the main bearings throw off too much oil, the cylinders are usually flooded with more oil than can be controlled by the pistons and rings.

In a conventional, full-pressure lubricated engine a large loss of oil at the main bearings may starve the downstream connecting rod bearings of lubrication to such an extent that sometimes, especially at low speeds; insufficient oil may be thrown on the cylinder walls. This will cause the pistons and rings to wear to such an extent that they will not be able to control the oil at high speeds. The effect of main bearing wear will be high oil consumption.

4. Worn or Damaged Connecting Rod Bearings
Clearances on connecting rod bearings affect the throw off of oil in the same proportions as mentioned for main bearings. In addition to this, the oil is thrown more directly into the cylinders. Worn or damaged connecting rod bearings flood the cylinders with such a large volume of oil that the pistons and rings, which are designed to control a normal amount of oil or a reasonable increase in the normal amount, are overloaded to such an extent that some oil escapes past them to the combustion chamber and causes high oil consumption.

CAUTION – Insufficient bearing clearance can also produce piston, ring and cylinder damage as well as damage to the bearing itself.

17. Clogged Oil Passages
After an engine has had long, hard service the oil passages in piston rings and pistons will likely become clogged from carbon or an accumulation of foreign matter in the oil. The passages are designed for carrying oil – in excess of the amount needed for lubricating the cylinders – back to the crankcase. When the passages become clogged, oil may be trapped in areas reducing the indicated level of oil within the engine. It may also pool in areas such as above the valve guides, which can further promote consumption.

Clogged passages in rifle drilled rods or any clogged oil line will starve the engine of lubrication, promote wear and lead to high oil consumption. To avoid clogging of oil passages, the same precaution should be taken as recommended in #28. Initial side clearance is not applicable in this case.

21. Dirty Oil
Failure to change the oil at proper intervals or to take proper care of the oil filter may cause the oil to be so dirty that it will promote clogging of the oil passages in the piston rings and pistons. This will increase the oil consumption as described in #17. Dirty oil will also increase the rate of wear on bearings, cylinders, pistons, and piston rings. All of these worn parts, as explained in individual items on each part, will contribute to a further waste of oil.

Note: as a rule, dirt oil by nature is also consumed at a higher rate than cleaner oil.

I can't do much about engine wear at this point so I think I will try and treat the sticking rings. I think I will try the sludge out and ring free again in my engine and change the oil more often.

Thanks

John