Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-19-2007, 01:02 PM

Only struts avail OEM & Koni? Current strut market avail.?

I have been checking, and not having any luck finding any other options. I don't want to go the Koni route.

Gabriel no longer special orders their SVX struts, and has no working inventory.

Carquest states they have KYB special order @ 237 a pop ( nuts!), but KYB has no current part numbers. I have sent them an e-mail for clarification.

Subaruparts has OE for 129 or so. Somebody said 1stSubaruparts sells them for 99, but their web site lists them at 183 ea., with no second option.

Any other products you may know about, please share the info.

Thanks,
Robar
Old 02-19-2007, 02:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
other then junk yards and members on the board... you have had alot more luck then most people...
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 02-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Try this:

Try abusing (coercing, convicing, etc.) Tokico into producing a run of SVX struts. They have an adjustable series - externally adjustable, that is.

http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/
Old 02-21-2007, 09:29 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
For stock struts, try asking Jason at Auburn Subaru. 866 528 5282.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Try abusing (coercing, convicing, etc.) Tokico into producing a run of SVX struts. They have an adjustable series - externally adjustable, that is.

http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/

haha those shocks are staright outta compton!
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 02-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Every other subaru site lists the recommended list price on their website aside from subaruparts (which has the customer service of the USSR IMO) but when you call they give you their price. If you do a little grinding work or have a porta power you can use WRX struts as they're nearly identical in size with just the different hub size and some weirdness up top. Problem is you can't buy a set as the rears are way different, you would just need 2 sets of fronts.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
What kind of weirdness up top? Would the WRX struts work if you used the SVX top mounts? Oh and how much grinding/spreading is needed?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Every other subaru site lists the recommended list price on their website aside from subaruparts (which has the customer service of the USSR IMO) but when you call they give you their price. If you do a little grinding work or have a porta power you can use WRX struts as they're nearly identical in size with just the different hub size and some weirdness up top. Problem is you can't buy a set as the rears are way different, you would just need 2 sets of fronts.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 03-11-2007, 10:52 PM

WRX Struts?

I'm wondering what mod's you are talking about being necessary myself. What the hay would you need a porta power for?

I did talk to Tokico - no way unless there was substantial volume........

It would be nice if something else would fit, but the OE units from Sub parts seems to be the way to go for now.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy
What kind of weirdness up top? Would the WRX struts work if you used the SVX top mounts? Oh and how much grinding/spreading is needed?

Thanks

Same difference as an XT6 when doing an Impreza strut swap up front in terms of the hub. Took an hour or so of grinding it down for us. You need to use SVX mounts as the hole pattern isn't the same. The difference is in the threaded nub portion where you attach the top mount. The Imp threads don't go all the way down as the mount is longer so you need a spacer in there to keep the strut tight.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Interesting...what year Imp struts did you use?

Quote:
Same difference as an XT6 when doing an Impreza strut swap up front in terms of the hub. Took an hour or so of grinding it down for us. You need to use SVX mounts as the hole pattern isn't the same. The difference is in the threaded nub portion where you attach the top mount. The Imp threads don't go all the way down as the mount is longer so you need a spacer in there to keep the strut tight.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Quote:

But this only works for using Impreza Front struts on the rear of the SVX, as the Impreza struts don't have the sway bar mount on them that you need for the front of the SVX.....

Correct me if I'm wrong Ben....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-12-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
But this only works for using Impreza Front struts on the rear of the SVX, as the Impreza struts don't have the sway bar mount on them that you need for the front of the SVX.....

Correct me if I'm wrong Ben....
Yes Huck, I think I said that in one of the early posts. The brackets can easily be fabbed up with a welder I'd suppose if you found the right daring person willing to do it or you could go with an insert and the impreza shell. I'd even suspect you could put an Impreza insert strut into the SVX housing as I think the dimesions are close enough you could make it work. The key is you'd need 2 sets of Impreza fronts (I think they're the fronts but they are the smaller of the two). I used WRX struts from an earlier WRX. Just posted up on NASioc looking for some cheap struts and got 'em delivered for $100. Right now we have the rears on there which on the racer give it the jackrabbit 69 Nova look as we were running the 275s in the rear with a spacer so we needed the clearance around the well. Now with the 22.5 inch tires we'll clear without an issue so it'll be low and lean. Just won't be able to get it on and off the trailer with anything but our 4 (thanks to SVXfiles) doughnuts.