Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-05-2006, 08:10 PM

It's Alive!!

Thanks for everyone that helped me with questions on my JDM motor issues.
It ended up being a frayed wire leading into my fuse box under the dash, easy fix but tough to find. Again it's running great and I just wanted to say thanks! Steve
Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Glad you got her going
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-05-2006, 09:51 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Now make the trip down south and autocross this Saturday. It'd be awesome ot have 2 SVX at the same event.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 AM

Registered SVX
Great news! It is difficult when the old engine started just fine, but the new engine would not. All things equal, a frayed wire would not be suspected. Glad you finally got it running.
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 10-06-2006, 08:40 AM

Half ass alarm install

The previous owners had an alarm installed, and apparently had it installed at a chop shop. Nothing like a .45 to take out some anguish on a faulty alarm system . Can someone please take A** out of my title, I don't want to get in trouble, just excited. Steve
Old 10-06-2006, 09:22 AM

Up and Running

Excellent to here you are back up and running. A frayed wire is a difficult thing to diagnose. Unless you are a contortionist.

Is the JDM engine much different from the USDA? Any noticible differences that you can feel? Where did you get the engine? I have seen where the Japanese replace engines every 30,000 miles? I guess it's for emmissions. Anyway, I have seen used JDM engines for sale. Mostly imprezas.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:16 AM

New to the site, but read your previous post becuase I'm in the need of a new engine and was looking to buy a JDM engine. Glad you got it up and running because it was making me nervous about buying one. Regarding why they have such low miles on them. I was under the impression that it's because the cars in Japan don't rack up the miles like cars in the US. But what I couldn't understand is why the rest of the car would be junked if it was hardly used. Then I got to thinking that maybe it's just too expensive to ship the whole car to the US and maybe thier is not enough market for one especially considering it's steering would be on the wrong side (considering where you live . Also over there where the SVX had to compete with Skylines and Starions maybe they just don't want them anymore . No that can't be possible, silly me what was I thinking. Throw away a SVX, now that's just dumb.

I never thought to think about emissions. Good point.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
Excellent to here you are back up and running. A frayed wire is a difficult thing to diagnose. Unless you are a contortionist.

Is the JDM engine much different from the USDA? Any noticible differences that you can feel? Where did you get the engine? I have seen where the Japanese replace engines every 30,000 miles? I guess it's for emmissions. Anyway, I have seen used JDM engines for sale. Mostly imprezas.
I havent ever really seen a difference noted.. theyre alot of "Whats the difference between USDM JDM and Euro models" and I haven't seen anything on the Engine... Well unless it's a S4 engine (fastar). anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:14 PM

USDM vs JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion
I havent ever really seen a difference noted.. theyre alot of "Whats the difference between USDM JDM and Euro models" and I haven't seen anything on the Engine... Well unless it's a S4 engine (fastar). anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong.
I don't think there is a difference, I'm just not sure thought. I know there are significant differences between the imprezas. For instance. In 2002 I believe the JDM impreza had the variable valve control. USDM did not, and had lower HP. Now, of course, we have the 2.5 liter imprezas, which are only available in 2.0 liter in Japan. Anyway, just wanted to check. I wonder how much these engines cost? Anyone got a link?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:18 PM

JDM engine

It definately was not drop in, the intake manifold was a little different as well as vacumn lines and the EGR valve(no line running to exhausr manifold.). It was not a bad install, although it is the hardest engine I have ever personally swapped. As far as being more powerful, I have only driven my SVX no others, but it seems quite a bit quicker. The business I bought my motor from was a place called CNS motors. Andy is pretty nice and told me that they were going to possibly be getting entire front clips with engine and tranny's. However I have not talked to him since purchasing my engine. Here is the Link

http://www.cnsmotors.com/
Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 PM

What you will need in addition to the motor in JDM swap

Here is what I needed to replace my USDM motor with my low mileage JDM motor.

1. Gaskets between the intake manifold and fuel rails.
The reason- is the JDM intake does not have the barb for the vacumn line on the passenger side rear near the top of the manifold.

2. Exhaust manifold gaskets- you need to replace the passenger side exhaust mainfold because the JDM does not have the connection for the EGR valve.

3. All small heater hoses- It's easier to do them now rather than later.

4. All vacumn lines under manifold- impossible to change without removing manifold, very cheap do it...do it!

5. The power steering hose that connects to the rear of the engine, mine was just beat to heck and I had to wait a few days to get it.

After I get my car to my new house I will get pictures of the items I am talking about if anyone wants them. Steve
Old 10-10-2006, 07:16 PM

JDM vs my setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohopirates
Here is what I needed to replace my USDM motor with my low mileage JDM motor.

1. Gaskets between the intake manifold and fuel rails.
The reason- is the JDM intake does not have the barb for the vacumn line on the passenger side rear near the top of the manifold.

I don't understand this. Why would you need to replace gaskets, if there is no barb? I'm assuming this is the connection to the EGR which sounds like it was deleted in the JDM. Couldn't you use your old intake manifold?

2. Exhaust manifold gaskets- you need to replace the passenger side exhaust mainfold because the JDM does not have the connection for the EGR valve.

So there is no EGR on the JDM? Thats cool I already ripped mine out. Couln't you use your old manifold and gasket?

3. All small heater hoses- It's easier to do them now rather than later.

What do you mean? The heater lines are smaller? What about the hose barbs?

4. All vacumn lines under manifold- impossible to change without removing manifold, very cheap do it...do it!

I have already done this, and would stick with my modified intake setup. Do you know if the intakes match up?

5. The power steering hose that connects to the rear of the engine, mine was just beat to heck and I had to wait a few days to get it.

I had to rerun this due to a conflict with the turbo location. Are the connections different on the JDM. I know that the OEM line runs over the block. Is it different in the JDM?

After I get my car to my new house I will get pictures of the items I am talking about if anyone wants them. Steve

Thanks. It sounds like I'm ready for a JDM engine when mine goes belly up. I checked that website but they don't have one in stock now. How much did you pay for yours? I may put in my order soon.