Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-28-2006, 11:27 AM

Tachometer and Car Alarm not working

My tachometer is completly dead. I looked at a wiring diagram to see what the problems is. Apparently the tackometer is connected directly with the check engine light. Since I have completely disconnected my ignition wires, fuel injection wires, MAF, and EGR, my Check Engine light is always on, my alarm cannot be programmed for remote operation, and my tachometer is completely dead. I don't know if they are all related. I know the ECU sends signals to each one of these devices. I would think as long as the No. 2 speed sensor is working it should still register. My ECU operates three things now, that I can think of. Electric fans, idle air controller, and ABS. All function normally. I have considered disconnecting my Check engine, and reconnecting it to my Tec 2 Check engine circuit. It might also be possible to connect a tac signal from my tec 2 to the factory tachometer, but I would rather not. Any suggestions on what could be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck D.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:52 PM

Bump

Bump for a little help.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
My tachometer is completly dead. I looked at a wiring diagram to see what the problems is. Apparently the tackometer is connected directly with the check engine light. Since I have completely disconnected my ignition wires, fuel injection wires, MAF, and EGR, my Check Engine light is always on, my alarm cannot be programmed for remote operation, and my tachometer is completely dead. I don't know if they are all related. I know the ECU sends signals to each one of these devices. I would think as long as the No. 2 speed sensor is working it should still register. My ECU operates three things now, that I can think of. Electric fans, idle air controller, and ABS. All function normally. I have considered disconnecting my Check engine, and reconnecting it to my Tec 2 Check engine circuit. It might also be possible to connect a tac signal from my tec 2 to the factory tachometer, but I would rather not. Any suggestions on what could be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck D.
Is the No.1 crank sensor still connected to the ECU? It sends a signal to the ECU that sends it to the taco.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:59 PM

Cam Sensor

Yes it is. But I'll check it again. Thanks. What about speed sensor 2. Do you have any idea where that is?

Thanks

Chuck D.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:09 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Speed Sensors - aka the VSS's control the speedo, not the tach.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Yes it is. But I'll check it again. Thanks. What about speed sensor 2. Do you have any idea where that is?

Thanks

Chuck D.
Chuck

VSS 2 in your models [and in the JDM ones] is plugged into the transmission just beside the dipstick for the differential, on the rhs near the front of the box.

In the Euro boxes, VSS 2 is inside near the parking gear.

In both types, VSS 1 is plugged into the back of the tranny near the rear output shaft. Again, rhs.

The engine revolution signal is output from the ECU at pin 16 of connector B61. B61 is a 16 pin connector, 2nd from left at the ECU.

According to my manual, B61-16 feeds a Yellow wire to the power steering unit connector B53. Directly opposite this, so presumably an output, a feed? goes a White wire with Lavender stripe to the combination meter.

You may have a bad connection somewhere in this lot.

Check page 6-3, [04014] if you want to study it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-04-2006, 01:34 PM

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Chuck

VSS 2 in your models [and in the JDM ones] is plugged into the transmission just beside the dipstick for the differential, on the rhs near the front of the box.

In the Euro boxes, VSS 2 is inside near the parking gear.

In both types, VSS 1 is plugged into the back of the tranny near the rear output shaft. Again, rhs.

The engine revolution signal is output from the ECU at pin 16 of connector B61. B61 is a 16 pin connector, 2nd from left at the ECU.

According to my manual, B61-16 feeds a Yellow wire to the power steering unit connector B53. Directly opposite this, so presumably an output, a feed? goes a White wire with Lavender stripe to the combination meter.

You may have a bad connection somewhere in this lot.

Check page 6-3, [04014] if you want to study it.

Joe

Thanks for the info. I'll check it this weekend and see if I have a break somewhere.

By the way, not to highjack my own thread, but I noticed you live in Ireland. I have family in Wicklow County (DiGerlando is a nice Irish name isn't it ). Actually its my mother's side (O'Reilly) Where are you from?
Old 10-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll check it this weekend and see if I have a break somewhere.

By the way, not to highjack my own thread, but I noticed you live in Ireland. I have family in Wicklow County (DiGerlando is a nice Irish name isn't it ). Actually its my mother's side (O'Reilly) Where are you from?

Wicklow is a neighbouring county. I'm from Kildare, which is west of Dublin. Wicklow is south of Dublin.

Reilly or O'Reilly are fairly common surnames round here. I live in Maynooth, which is at the north side of Kildare county. Most of Wicklow is southeast of us here, but where I went to secondary school [high school], quite a few guys from Wicklow attended.

As I said, adjacent counties and good neighbours. If you are visiting your family here, give me a call.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-04-2006, 07:40 PM

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist

Wicklow is a neighbouring county. I'm from Kildare, which is west of Dublin. Wicklow is south of Dublin.

Reilly or O'Reilly are fairly common surnames round here. I live in Maynooth, which is at the north side of Kildare county. Most of Wicklow is southeast of us here, but where I went to secondary school [high school], quite a few guys from Wicklow attended.

As I said, adjacent counties and good neighbours. If you are visiting your family here, give me a call.

Joe
I have visited. It is beautiful there. We climbed one of the Wicklow mountains. Does church mountain sound familiar? Anyway, we stayed with Frank O'Reilly. He has a contracting buisness with his brothers. They are great folks, and made us feel right at home. We of course visited a lot of the other sites around the south of the Island. I would love to go back, and if I do I will look you up. I don't like driving on the left side of the road though

Alas, we have a new son. He is only 17 months old and might have a difficult time on such a long trip. We don't get to do much right now. Likewise, if you are ever in Orlando give me a call. You never know when you might want to see the mouse.

Take Care

Chuck D.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:24 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Quote:
I have visited. It is beautiful there. We climbed one of the Wicklow mountains. Does church mountain sound familiar? Anyway, we stayed with Frank O'Reilly. He has a contracting buisness with his brothers. They are great folks, and made us feel right at home. We of course visited a lot of the other sites around the south of the Island. I would love to go back, and if I do I will look you up. I don't like driving on the left side of the road though

They make us ALL do it over here. Total bummer. Only time you can drive on the right side is deep in the middle of the night

Alas, we have a new son. He is only 17 months old and might have a difficult time on such a long trip. We don't get to do much right now. Likewise, if you are ever in Orlando give me a call. You never know when you might want to see the mouse.

Take Care

Chuck D.
At 17 months I'll wager you will get more fun from the new son than from a trip to Ireland or anywheres else. Enjoy. If I'm in Orlando, you are on the hit list.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl