Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-26-2006, 08:38 AM

Question on using used vs Reman/New Mass Airflow Sensor and Good Shop in/near DC

Hi,

I have Check Engine Light error code 23 that says there is abnormal voltage from the Mass Airflow Sensor and I'm getting the same stalling issues as in this old post below:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...airflow+sensor

I was originally looking for getting a used part to put in but my mechanic is saying he would put a used part in but for a Mass Airflow Sensor, he advises against using a used part and recommends a new part or remanufactured part instead. I'm buying the part either way so he has nothing to gain form recommending a new/reman vs used.

Anyone recommend either way on this? Also, is the Mass Airflow Sensor something I could just replace or does it have to be calibrated somehow?

Also, anyone know of any good mechanics near the Arlington/Washington DC metro area. I'm at the 130K mark and need to do a tuneup, water pump, and some seals. My current mechanic is good but is saying that I'd be better off getting a new car. I've had my 92 SVX since 1995 and really would like to keep her going but cannot afford the grand or 2 that I am gettting in estimates.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 09-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
MAF's can be swapped in about 5 minutes with a screwdriver and a 10mm wrench. It doesn't require any calibration or setting.

As for new/used? I guess it depends on what you can afford? A used one comes with uncertainty but new ones cost over $200. If you're getting a new one maybe look into upgrading to the Z32 MAF and Lan's Stage 2???

There are a couple of board members in Western MD and NJ that do great, affordable work on SVX's, not sure how far you're willing to go.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACZ3
My current mechanic is good but is saying that I'd be better off getting a new car. I've had my 92 SVX since 1995 and really would like to keep her going but cannot afford the grand or 2 that I am gettting in estimates.

Thanks,
Nick
The question we all have to answer: What's the old car worth to you? Economically it makes no sense to dump two grand into an average-mileage '92 SVX, UNLESS you intend to keep the car in good repair and drive it long enough to make that expenditure worthwhile. Additionally, your mechanic is in effect saying, Well, if you keep this car, don't come cryin' to me when I hammer you with a big repair bill. Consider looking for a mechanic willing to work with you to keep the car rolling.

Look at it this way: How many car payments could you make with that grand or two?

BTW, that seems awfully steep for a "tune-up" (not much to tune on an SVX), seals, and water pump replacement.

dcb
Old 09-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Im about 12 minutes away from you lol...

but I am not that big of a mechanic... however replacing a MAF isnt that big of a problem.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
MAF's can be swapped in about 5 minutes with a screwdriver and a 10mm wrench. It doesn't require any calibration or setting.

As for new/used? I guess it depends on what you can afford? A used one comes with uncertainty but new ones cost over $200. If you're getting a new one maybe look into upgrading to the Z32 MAF and Lan's Stage 2???

There are a couple of board members in Western MD and NJ that do great, affordable work on SVX's, not sure how far you're willing to go.
Thanks, I think I'll go with the used for now from a member here and then look into the Z32 MAF and the Stage 2. Do you have a link as to where to get those. EDIT, NM, just saw ecutune.com.

Also thanks for the other replies.

I was in the Navy for 10 years and my SVX has been everywhere from Oklahoma to Hawaii to San Diego to here in Arlington/DC area. In my experience, it's been tough to find a good Subaru mechanic that knows the SVX. I had 2 sets of wheel bearings put on the right rear where they didn't repack the bearings with the proper grease for instance. The garage I go to here is Schmitz Exxon in Vienna, VA. The one dealer near me is freaking ridiculous: their quote on just a tune up with the water pump replacement was $1700.

I usually try to do as much as I can myself but I don't have access to a garage. Just a parking space near my townhouse.

Last edited by NACZ3; 09-26-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Network Design Administrator

Drive up to southern NJ/Philly area.. and get SVXpert (a member here) to do what you need. He uses genuine Subaru parts and will give you detailed records of what was done... Not to mention he does great work for very very good prices...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20165
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:25 PM

Regarding the MAF, have you tried cleaning it ? See the HowTo_MAF link in my signature.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:38 PM

^^^Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a used MAF from TomsSVX here earlier today. I will try to clean the old one with your guide. I had read a couple posts where the cleaning didn't fix the issue but at least helped reduce the stalling. I'm stalling regularly but only in stop and go traffic.

Last edited by NACZ3; 09-26-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Tom wont sell you crap so you will be getting a good one. I went with a reman that came with a year warranty but it was close to $200. some python brand I dont remember. Ive done a couple water pumps. I also reccomend new timing belt and thermostat, also the heater hoses off of the pump. Im in fredericksburg if you want to pm me and we can talk.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 09-26-2006, 10:21 PM

SVXPERT is going to work on my car in about 2 weeks
he is is leeeeeeeesssss expensive than dealer!!!!!
and all the guys here are tolking very good about his job.
you can send him an email and i'm sure he will work with you as he did with me. it i s realy worth it.

My Locker

Bart