Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-05-2006, 04:10 PM

Question 95' Subaru SVX - rear end noise - brake calipers?

My girlfriend has a SVX 1995 all wheel drive. There is a noise coming from the rear end which is proportional to the wheel turning speed. I thought it could be a bearing but I am not sure.... I read a lot of the posts here and it does not seem to be. The noise is more of a metallic not to loud noise at low speeds.
She took it to the shop, and they said it needed new pads and rotors (it is disk brake in the rear). Bastards! I said, BS, she did brakes and rotors about 2 years ago. I took out the wheel and the pads and disc look like new.
I realized that the brake calipers are attached by a bolt in one end and some kind of flying attachement on the other end. You can easily move the rotors perpendicular to the disc and when you do this it makes a noise. The rotors seem loose but the one bolt is fairly tightened. I think this could be the source of the noise. The rotor on the other side does the same. The front wheel rotor setup is similar but you can't move the rotors with your hands. Is this rotor movement normal? Any ideas????
Old 09-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Welcome to the site.

The calipers do float. The guide pins should be well greased and are known to rust or seize up. I had one seize and we cleaned up the pin to fix it. Didn't make the noise though.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:37 AM

this weekend I will test different ideas to narrow down the noise. Let's see
Old 09-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The rotors are the round disk shaped thing that the pads clamp on, and all that holds it tight is the torque of the lug nuts when the wheel is installed.

The part that holds the pads are the calipers, and yes they should be able to move some, the noise could just be the metallic pads, as some are prone to squealing....to stop it, a set of ceramic pads, or organic pads will be quieter
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-08-2006, 03:32 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Try to put your head inside the wheel well and look carefully at the rotors while turning them by hand. Sometimes the brake shields are bent and touch the rotors. Also try removing the calipers, caliper bracket and rotors. Then turn the hub assembly by hand and listen for the noise. If it's still there, then it's the bearings.