SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-27-2004, 04:02 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I'm Cheap

I got sick of waiting to save up for new door locks so I decided to fix the old ones. I tried squirting everything imaginable in them to free them. I have keyless entry but the remote I have is unreliable and if it died I was stuck calling AAA to get back in. I took the old lock out and found that there are brass plates (about 7) that when a key is placed in the hole slide to fit the shape of the key. Over time they bonded to the metal housing and prevented the key from turning. I soaked the lock in vinegar which might be all you have to do depending on how bad the lock is. Then I used a flathead screwdriver to hammer out the plates, if you look at the pic of the plate it has a top and a bottom, hammer it so the tab part comes out first. Once removed use a fine grit sandpaper to remove the build up then re-insert. There are springs in the lock which push the plates upward so once a plate is removed be careful not to jostle it. Once reassembled the lock is like new, it took about half an hour to do one lock. If you have any questions feel free. I saved money on the locks and the locksmith to calibrate the locks to fit my key.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lock mech.jpg (62.7 KB, 310 views)

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 06-27-2004, 04:06 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
other pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brass tab.jpg (62.5 KB, 268 views)

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Old 06-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

That's awesome! You just saved yourself a $100 locksmith bill there. They charge crazy rates for automotive repairs...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-27-2004, 09:41 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
I just did the drivers door and forgot to mention you have to keep the plates in order to fit the key properly, it took me an hour to get the right ones back in! I also noticed the led for the keyhole had the wires chopped off I bet it was from a slim jim. I fixed that and realized how much I missed it. I haven't used my keys to open the door in about 4 years, felt weird. Does anybody remember how to arm and disarm the security system from the door handle?

Old 05-11-2006, 06:16 AM

I have my lock removed, and I can clearly see the plates are heavily corroded, but how do I remove the outer "sleeve" from the lock so that I can gain access to hammer them out?
Old 05-11-2006, 04:56 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
nysvx-

I forgot to mention in the pm, after you soak the mechanism upt the key in and turn it so the plates are on the smooth part of the sleve. 45 degrees I believe.