Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
Oxidation on Roof

I've done a search and couldn't find any resources on how to most effectively prevent and reverse the horrible oxidation that is occuring on the sunroof and roof of my poor svx. I tried to use cleaner and canuba wax on it, and it looked great, for about a day. Please someone help...the oxidation only seems to be getting worse and quickly so. Thanks!
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 02-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonparrot
I've done a search and couldn't find any resources on how to most effectively prevent and reverse the horrible oxidation that is occurring on the sunroof and roof of my poor svx. I tried to use cleaner and canuba wax on it, and it looked great, for about a day. Please someone help...the oxidation only seems to be getting worse and quickly so. Thanks!
Is it only on the roof and not the hood or trunk? The OEM paint that Subaru used on the SVX was great quality and shouldn't fade anywhere other than the mirrors and side panels on the Barcelona red cars. Mica shouldn't be fading anywhere. If the sunroof and roof are the only thing fading, they were probably repainted and the clear coat they used was cheap and didn't have the proper amount of hardener in it or doesn't have adequate UV protection.

Unfortunately if you get it shiny and it only lasts a day or two, you are out of luck. Waxing it every day would probably be the only way to save it and even that will only work so long.

You could have it clear coated again with good quality stuff, but the existing clear will probably continue to degrade and cause the new stuff will peel off in a year or two.

The permanent solution is to have it stripped and refinished, but that will be costly. A shop may be able to seal the existing finish with epoxy primer and paint over it, but they would need to tell you after looking at it if it will be possible.

Sorry I don't have better news.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 02-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
suicide is always an option as well

Tom
Old 02-09-2006, 12:31 PM
#073 of 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
suicide is always an option as well

Tom
And remember, it's down the road not across the street.

Sorry that oxidation is taking over the sunroof panel. That happened on my rx7 too (may it RIP).
Barcelona Red '93 AE #073 of 301, 168k miles.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:40 PM

The clearcoat on the roof of my car is getting cloudy, too. I call it sun scald. I'm certain my car's finish is original, so I think it's a UV exposure issue, which figures considering my car spent its former life in southern Georgia and northern Florida. It also has failing clearcoat on the mirrors and quarter garnish as so many describe, but a spritz of Armor-All does a fair job of hiding those blemishes for a few days.

Back to the roof: I use Meguire's Gold Class wax liberally, and often. Wouldn't stand scrutiny at a car show, but it does darken and shine the lighter areas, making them less conspicuous. Honestly, this is just postponing the inevitable: The only real remedy is repainting, at least the clearcoat.

Awhile back I went to a local shop to investigate the possibility of wet sanding by a skilled hand and re-clearcoating, but the guy didn't want to fool with it; said all he wants to do is collision repair. So, the matter fell from the top of my list of priorities and I just haven't gotten around to looking elsewhere.

dcb
Old 02-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
The clearcoat on the roof of my car is getting cloudy, too. I call it sun scald. I'm certain my car's finish is original, so I think it's a UV exposure issue, which figures considering my car spent its former life in southern Georgia and northern Florida. It also has failing clearcoat on the mirrors and quarter garnish as so many describe, but a spritz of Armor-All does a fair job of hiding those blemishes for a few days.

Back to the roof: I use Meguire's Gold Class wax liberally, and often. Wouldn't stand scrutiny at a car show, but it does darken and shine the lighter areas, making them less conspicuous. Honestly, this is just postponing the inevitable: The only real remedy is repainting, at least the clearcoat.

Awhile back I went to a local shop to investigate the possibility of wet sanding by a skilled hand and re-clearcoating, but the guy didn't want to fool with it; said all he wants to do is collision repair. So, the matter fell from the top of my list of priorities and I just haven't gotten around to looking elsewhere.

dcb

Yeah, me too, my car lived in Jacksonville and Miami between 1991 and 2003, so thats probably the reason. GRRR!
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 02-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
I saw an episode of TRUCKS with that guy named stacy.They had a very good explanation and demonstration on sanding clearcoats to a good finish. Also, there seems to be a type of paint that has the clearcoat mixed into it or something...Im going to see if I can find a web video of it
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I saw that epesode as well. I was at work and didn't have anyone at the bar so I watched it. Pretty cool but thats for people wiht a light hand. I on the other hand have bear claws

Tom
Old 02-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I on the other hand have bear claws

Tom
Must be those 'bear claws' that allow you to pick up a 5spd, 6spd or even 4EAT out of an SVX trunk and lift it into your shop solo!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 02-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Get Rid of It!!!

I will give you $500 for that terrible looking car, so you don't have to deal with the daily pain of looking at it.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 02-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
i'm sure some C4 would do some wonders to your car as well
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic