How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-08-2002, 10:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to jeradsvx
Question need some help with check engine light

Hi everyone, My name is Jerad and I own a 92 LS-L. I am fairly new to the network, I was using yahoo until it switched over, I like this much better anyways. Sorry for the length of this post as well.

ok the problem.

I go to school at Umass and in october i had to put my car up due to financial troubles at the time. I drove it back to new york and put it in my garage. three weeks later i went home and started it up so i could wash it and place it up until now. when i tried starting it the battery was lacking juice so i jumped it and it ran. about five minutes after it started the check engine light came on. I washed the car put it in the garage and took the battery out not really worrying about it. The car sat from the mid of october to this last weekend. I went home this last weekend becasue i am now able to put it back on the road. I charged the battery and put it back in. The car still didnt have enought juice to start so i jumped it again. Once it started the power light flashed 16 times and the check engine light came on. I must have not hooked the postive tight so i shut the car off and tighten the nut. Still the battery was dead so i jumped again. the car started no power light but the check engine light was on the whole time. I took it for a tiny drive didnt go over 20 and it ran fine. Idled perfect and shifted great. I know that the battery is done but I was wondering what you guys thought about the check engine light. I would like some opinions as well as to what i should do before it gets totally back on the road. I really appreciate all the help. Thank you
Jerad
Old 04-08-2002, 03:15 PM
svxpete

get the code and that may help

You're lucky to have a year that you can get the
failure code manually and clear it. My '96 needs a monitor to be attached to do this, so I'll be
seeing my Subaru dealer soon. Anyway, do a search
on "check AND engine" and there are a couple of
threads on how to do this. Basically, pull off the
foot panel cover (where the inner fuse box is) and find 2 loose wires (contact pins), and a 1" square plug with about 8 contacts and a notch. You put a pin in the right plug location and then turn the ignition key on, and count long/short blinks of the CE light to get the code. It dumps any codes stored or if only one, you get that repeatedly.
Using both pins in the right location will clear
the codes, then you get a steady blinking.
A couple of the replies have the codes as well
as the procedure, so check any matches you find.
Good luck. If you need help, I'm sure you can get
more here.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:46 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Your '96 is OBDll and a lot of parts stores will pull the codes for free (the 'generic' codes anyway.)