Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-21-2005, 01:06 PM

Anyone Know Of A Dealer Installed 5 Speed Conversion?

Ok folks, I am being presented with a unique opportunity here. A local subaru dealer has a 1992 Emerald SVX LS-L on their lot that they just bought from an auction. When the car got delivered, they were suprised to find that the transmission is pretty much shot and needs replacing. They are more than willing to work with me on arriving at a fair price for both parties. (As they seem very unhappy with this purchase) My question is this: Would a dealer be up for the task of doing the 5 speed conversion? The way I see it, they have already committed to putting a transmission in the car, why not consider the option of putting a manual one in instead. I am not 100% on all the components needed for the swap, but I'd be willing to pay the cost difference between the auto and manual trans if they were able / willing to do it.

Has anyone heard of a dealer doing this before? I didn't want to just flat out ask them without doing a little background research myself.

Thoughts? Comments?

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 09-21-2005, 01:21 PM

I doubt you'll find a dealer shop willing to tackle any project that isn't a bolt-up operation using factory parts. There'd be a good amount of fab work (and guesswork) with an auto-to-MT switch.

But it never hurts to ask.

dcb
Old 09-21-2005, 01:34 PM
red95svx

I work for a dealer and I can't imagine any one here agreeing to do a 5 speed swap. The problem is that it takes a lot more work, time, and effort to modify an SVX to accept a manual tranny. Replacing an auto tranny with another auto tranny is not too difficult, and it's something that most techs are familiar with.

Dave
Old 09-21-2005, 01:41 PM

That is what I was expecting to hear, but I thought it was worth asking.

So here is my next question: Would they be willing to do a 4.44 swap /w a diff trans? Again, I don't know how involved that is and if it is something they could tackle.

I guess my train of thought here is that this dealer is very willing to work with me on agreeing on a price to do this. I'm just trying to get the most value out of their money and time. So, if anyone has any other suggestions that I may not have mentioned that would yield better performance OR life of the car/trans from this transaction with the dealer, I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say.

2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 PM

If the car appears to be in good shape otherwise, I might make them a modest cash offer as it sits and see just how badly they want to get it off their lot.

Is it common for a new car dealership to buy used cars at auction?

dcb
Old 09-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
They'll buy at auction if their used inventory is running low or they aren't selling enough new. Generally new dealers only buy cars that are a few years old unless they happen across something special.

Most dealers caught with their pants down on an auction purchase will either turn the car around and dump it back on the auction block or wholesale it away. If they do elect to fix it they'll give it to a 'used car mechanic' that is used to doing 'slap together' work, i.e. do it quick and cheap to get rid of it. Most new dealers avoid the headaches and poor rep of doing that these days.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:36 PM

parts

<<So here is my next question: Would they be willing to do a 4.44 swap /w a diff trans? Again, I don't know how involved that is and if it is something they could tackle.>>

are you able to do the swap? i'm asking because i have a auto 4.44 tranny with about 1000 miles on it and i think i even have a rear to match if your interested. thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 02:47 PM

It's not something that I would be able to do myself. However, if I could find someone to do the work, how much would you want to sell all of that for? It might be easier for me to negotiate the "as-is" price from the dealer and get all this work done myself.

2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 10-17-2005, 09:19 PM

I couldn't even get a replacement key on a real Subaru blank. Transmission swap? Good luck with that...