Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

FWD engine Vs AWD engine

I'm just about ready to give up on the electrical problem I've developed in my '94 and just part out the mechanicals.

First of all, a warning to all

If your question is:

I have a hairline crack in the top of my radiator. Assuming I keep the coolant topped off, Do you think it will be OK to cancel the radiator that just came in from Subaru and then drive the car 12 miles to work for 2 months while I wait for a custom radiator?

The answer is:

NO!! Heck NO!! Stronger words NO!! Don't do it!!! Back away and run like a scalded dog!!! NO NO NO NO NO!! YOU MAY DESTROY YOUR OTHERWISE PERFECT CAR!! IT MAY BE THE WORSE DICISION YOU EVER MAKE NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Now that I have that off my chest. (The radiator still hasn't shipped by the way...No matter... No longer need it.)

My true question is:

I'm thinking about pulling the engine from my '94 which was running smooth as butter prior to the electrical fry. The engine has 81,035 miles on it. I want to drop it in my 92 which has 158,000 miles on it.

The concern is, the '94 is FWD, and the '92 is AWD. Does this make a difference with the engines?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-01-2005, 10:49 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

No it doesnt matter. The thing that makes it AWD is the transmission...if u were in need of a tranny swap then you would need an AWD tranny. I'm pretty sure you can swap engines.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 03-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
No it doesnt matter. The thing that makes it AWD is the transmission...if u were in need of a tranny swap then you would need an AWD tranny. I'm pretty sure you can swap engines.
Yup, engines are the same. Happy swapping!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 03-01-2005, 08:28 PM

Thanks guys!!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:59 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Do you know what you need or what's wrong with your engine? What about the ECU itself?

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
Do you know what you need or what's wrong with your engine? What about the ECU itself?

L
I've checked out the ECU pin for pin. To the point of putting it on a bench, injecting signals, and analyzing outputs. It survived. The aftermarket alarm did not. No scope needed - that aromatic sensation of popped capacitors, how we all love the experience

As for the immediate blowing of fuse 6, pulling the wiper control unit stopped the sympton. The wiper control unit is vague. I can't get the circuit board out of the case to take a look. A BFH is in order. There are low wattage diodes, 5 of them in the front. I can't see the tracings, but they may to be used for reverse bias protection. Or 4 of these may be a bridge rectifier.... I can't see the tracings. There's a couple of relays in there, and then way in the back, the unmistakable collection of components that make up a switching P/S... Small transformer, diode bridge, triac, diac, filter caps, IC, etc. Very strange.. Why would that be needed? Conversion of speed sensor signal to DC? It really appears they are taking AC signals, converting to DC, and then switching the DC to a different level and shotgunning it out through relays. Once again, I can't see the tracings.

Anyway, I'm rambling....I blame it on confusion...

drxman brought up a point that has saved my '94 temporarily. The harnesses.. I never even thought about the harnesses!! I've been wrapped up in the individual components. The old forest for the trees routine.

The harnesses might explain the variety of systems affected. I don't want to give up on the car, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life troubleshooting it. I'm a little too analytical for that, and I waste too much time getting sidetracked.

The good side is I've learned quite a bit in the experience so far!!

I think when I grow up, I'll try to become the site's electrical guru!! I'm sure everyone will trust a guy who can't fix his own car.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:03 AM

Before anyone asks, I'll state it.

The aftermarket alarm has been completely pulled, and the wiring returned to original state. It was a sidewinder, with 4 harnesses of it's own. I don't know what blew in the alarm, the 3 attached fuses were intact. I would take a look, but I threw it so hard when I disconnected it, I don't know where it landed.