How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 09:33 AM

Danny,
If your SVX has the same cat set up as the US version, then I would guess that Leaded gas Should Not Be Used in that car (in the US we have Super Unleaded 93/95). That said, if the cats have been/or are hollowed out, would leaded gas hurt in anyother way?
Old 01-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Rotorflyr
Danny,
If your SVX has the same cat set up as the US version, then I would guess that Leaded gas Should Not Be Used in that car (in the US we have Super Unleaded 93/95). That said, if the cats have been/or are hollowed out, would leaded gas hurt in anyother way?
when I dismantled them, the exhaust shop guy told me that the cats had only a vertical grill from the inside, but basically were hollow from the inside... only the two middle cats were cat converters... and on the fuse box it is written Diff. lock

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

the guy sold me the SVX told me that the car was brought from Saudi Arabia. it has originally the same cats configuration as your SVX's (5 cats)
What on earth are you talking about? The exhaust system starts as two manifolds (one on each head), a catalytic converter on each side, a y pipe, a third converter in the middle, more pipe, and then the muffler. Where are the other two cats?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:54 AM
justiceSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by elvis

What on earth are you talking about? The exhaust system starts as two manifolds (one on each head), a catalytic converter on each side, a y pipe, a third converter in the middle, more pipe, and then the muffler. Where are the other two cats?
What on earth are YOU talking about? We have to manifolds, then two cats, more pipes, then a THIRD cat which also functions as a Y-pipe, more pipe, the resonator, more pipe, and then the muffler.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:00 AM

My bad, I did forget the resonator. Still only 3 cats, which was my (admitidly heavy handed and over dramatic) point.

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=440-A
Old 01-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

when I dismantled them, the exhaust shop guy told me that the cats had only a vertical grill from the inside, but basically were hollow from the inside... only the two middle cats were cat converters... and on the fuse box it is written Diff. lock
Hi, Danny, OK you have an Euro model with the VTD AWD. You may have a model without Catalitic converters or Exhaust Gas Recirculation.
As most of the EGR is mounted under the inlet manifold, it will be a bit hard to see. I'll try to take a pic of some of the EGR parts to see if your car is fitted with them.

The non cat model has the cans fitted, but the manual just calls them "honeycomb", where as it calls them "catalitic converters" on the normal model.

Don't bother trying to explain the 3/5 cats, we know what you mean. Some just don't understand your language problem, in saying the right name for things.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

Hi, Danny, OK you have an Euro model with the VTD AWD. You may have a model without Catalitic converters or Exhaust Gas Recirculation.
As most of the EGR is mounted under the inlet manifold, it will be a bit hard to see. I'll try to take a pic of some of the EGR parts to see if your car is fitted with them.

The non cat model has the cans fitted, but the manual just calls them "honeycomb", where as it calls them "catalitic converters" on the normal model.

Don't bother trying to explain the 3/5 cats, we know what you mean. Some just don't understand your language problem, in saying the right name for things.

Harvey.
hehehehehehe, I have a good english Harvey, but I dunno how to express myself in technical terms... that's it ! you mean by honeycombs, the 2 catalytic converters going from the manifold, right? so the exhaust shop guy told me they were empty from the inside (just having a grill, I dunno if you have pics of them) then a Y pipe, then another cat (which was the real catalytic converter, then the resonator, then the rear barrel... euh I mean exhaust

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
is there a certain Subaru official website you can check more about your car following the Vin Number or the engine number? just curious