SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-25-2004, 02:35 PM
mark10t

Re: Done

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian
Luckily, the tensioner has a small hole through the piston and chamber, so I put a very small allen wrench through the holes to keep the tensioner piston back. I bolted it back up to the block, which made putting the new timing belt on a breeze.
:
That's what that little hole is for.

-Mark
Old 04-25-2004, 04:23 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
.................... there is a small access hole near the rear of the engine block where you can see the flywheel. Sure enough, just below the thottle bodies is a small black cap, under which I can see the ring gear for the flywheel. I jammed a screwdriver in there,........................
Oh please let us know if the flex plate breaks at some time in the future. It would be nice to know if the small thin piece of flex plate metal under the bolt head can handle the tightening and lossening of the crank pulley bolt. This might be another reason why the flexplates fail other than missing alignment pins between the engine and transmission.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:

I just spoke with the nearest Subaru dealer today, and asked them about the camshaft sprocket wrench (or any other tools that would help me out in the process). Their response was, "It is against Subaru's policy to sell our tools to the public. Subaru just doesn't allow it."
Liberty Subaru will sell them but will not discount the price as it's not a part.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Talking Yee-hah!

Did my timing belt and front main seal today in 2 and a half hours - from beginning tear down to having the car running. This was my first time.

I'm elated to say the least. I can't believe I've been scared to try this for so long. It was pretty easy using the threads here, ryan mcdonalds how-to, and the service manuals.

The only roadblock I hit was the tensioner. I dont have a vise, and my c-clamp is only 4" - you need at least a 5" c-clamp to fit on there. I ended up using a very unorthodox method to push in the tensioner. I put it on my floor jack underneath the front of the car and jacked up the car with it to compress it. It was ugly and dangerous, but it worked.

I was doing it alone so to get the timing belt on and stay in place on the sprockets I put it on each one and used a vise grip on each to hold it on there lined up while I installed the idler pulleys.

I had the cam seals, but it was dry under each of them so I skipped that.

The timing belt was last done 110k miles ago but it looked brand new.

Huge thanks to everyone here who has posted hints on this job. I did alot of searching here and got alot of good information to help get this job done.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.