How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-18-2004, 09:33 AM

Diagnostic Black box for cars

Hello SVX fans
well for many of us this little tool might not be so handy on the SVX's Unless of course you own a 96 or a 97. Has to BE OBD II

However since most ( other then me) have Newer cars as the daily driver. Here is a Neat tool to run a diagnostic on your car, clear a trouble light or SPY on your kids driving habbits.

This tool plugs Directly into the Diag port of any car as long as it is OBD II some 95's but mostly 96 and above.
Now some newer cars such as 2004 FOrd trucks use the CAN protocol or ( Computer area network) this is not compatible just yet.

Go to http://www.davisnet.com/drive/index.asp

THere will be a full description of what it does, HOW and what is to come.. there has currently been a new software release that has added much easier to use viewing of the collected data.

I suspect that in the not so distance future Davis will upgrade this Black box to monitor MORE functions at once then what is currently offered.

I have used this on several cars and it's a wonderfull Diag tool.
Not to mention if you had one installed and got a snooty cop saying hey you were doing 75 and you KNOW YOU WERE NOT.
this little black box that connects to your PC Via a data cable, graphs, and PRINTS all data just got you out of a ticket.. NOthing like PROOF. ( bad cop no dough-nut for you)

Davis does give a list of cars the unit will not work with and this list is growing ever so slowly. Larry iii this could be usefull on your 97.

Happy driving to all
SVX1999

PS I can think of many uses this would come in handy. FIguring mileage finding a faulty sensor, whatever the computer see's it records. Being the price is about 200$ it's the cheapest DECENT diag tool I've seen in a while.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I bought an OBD-II scanner from an auto parts store for $150. It's very comprehensive, but I don't think it will read the vehicle dynamics data (speed, etc) you described. The same auto parts store would 'lend' out the tool for a $150 deposit.

As a matter of fact, I doubt that you could use that info to get yourself out of a ticket easily. As far as I know, the computer only caches the last five seconds or so. So you'd have to know exactly when the officer recorded your speed and compare it with your five-second log.

That's hardly going to hold up in court, in my opinion. PA_SVX could probably answer the question better, though.

I may move this thread to 'Tech Q&A.' We'll see which direction it heads in.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-18-2004, 06:15 PM

black box

CarChipE/X includes all the features of CarChip, plus four times the data storage—up to 300 hours of driving data. (The actual number of hours will vary, depending on how frequently you log data.)

As with CarChip, you'll get time and date for each trip, distance, speed, hard accelerations and decelerations, and engine diagnostic trouble codes.

With CarChipE/X, though, you'll also be able to monitor any four out of 23 user-selectable engine parameters, including:

RPM
Throttle position
Engine load
Fuel pressure
Fuel system status
Short- and long-term-fuel trim
Battery voltage
Timing advance
Coolant temperature
Air flow rate
Intake air temperature
Intake manifold pressure
Oxygen sensor voltage

Plus, if you're unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, CarChipE/X will automatically generate an accident log showing the last critical 20 seconds of speed.

Includes data logger, software on CD, download cable, and power adapter. Requires Windows 95 or above, at least 5 MB free hard disk space, and one free serial port. Add our optional USB-to-Serial Cable to connect to USB.

This is the information from there Web site
I will re post with Data and the program that used to view. Not so sure if I'm suppose to do that but this group has helped me in more ways then I can count.!!!
anything that saves US money from the Diagnostic man can't be bad.

SVX1999
Old 02-18-2004, 06:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Ahhh, I get it. I didn't realize that the machine actually logs that stuff - I thought it just read it from the computer's own data logging.

Modern cars now use a type of logging similar to airliners' 'black boxes.' In the case of an accident, the data can be read to show what the driver was doing a few seconds before impact - thus corroborating (or not) the driver's story.

Aircraft 'black boxes,' of course, record quite a bit of info over a long time. Automobiles only record the last few seconds.

Most people actually aren't aware that their cars are recording that stuff, and are getting nailed in court.

'I was stopped at the red light, just like I was supposed to be.'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-18-2004, 07:24 PM

program for OBD II Data Logger

As promised here is the Program that is used in conjuction with
Carchip data logger.

the Carchipsetup file is the original which needs to be installed first. Then there is a 2nd file which is an update the program to Version 1.3.4. I will also include some >car data from a Hyundai, toyota truck and if I remember a small test run.

Here are the instructions on Updating the program.

To install:
After downloading, run this file (CarChipsetup.exe) and choose a directory to install the program.

To Upgrade an existing program installation:
After downloading, run this file (CarChip 1.3.2 Setup.exe) and install as normal. It looks like I can not do multiply file attachements or I don't know how...

For ease of some users on Dail up I will make seperate post
the update is 5 megs, the first release is 2 megs the Data is Tiny by comparison.

SVX1999
Old 02-18-2004, 08:12 PM

carchipsetup1

I apologize I forgot the Message board attachement does not allow Exe files.
Here is the first one again

~svx1999
Old 02-18-2004, 09:31 PM

technical issues

Hello!

Well I am having an issue uploaded a file attachement, the first try I forgot to ZIP it and just left it as .EXE opps my bad.
The 2nd try NOTHING appeared. So I have uploaded the program along with the update and Data to my Locker.

the Hyundai 1 was to figure out what was going on.
I had a feeling it was a Bad TPS. It was..
the 2nd run is After the NEW tps was installed.

Download all files, install the program and point to the .car files to see the info collected. Very interesting product.
I have been very impressed with it plus there are 2 data bases with CODES. as soon as I find the links I will post them here.
Happy Drive'n
~SVX1999