Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-29-2004, 10:50 PM
willsnow

Exclamation Need an SVX experienced Mech.

Does anyone know of a person/shop/company that can fix my SVX? I live in San Antonio, TX, but am often in Austin for the weekends. I have tried the local dealerships, but they aren't familiar with the car, and now my car is in need of some tuning again! So I want someone that will do the job right. (Asking me to do it is totally out of the question) Can anyone help?
Old 01-29-2004, 11:16 PM
willsnow

Oh, and if the **** hits the fan, and I have to fix it myself, then where can I get a good, easy to understand service manual? I have no knowlegde of cars, period. So I'm hesitant to even unscrew anything. Or maybe one of you more mechanically inclined SVXers can just tell me.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
what exactly do you need to have done?
Old 01-30-2004, 12:22 AM
willsnow

I need my bumper fixed, my hoses changed, a new right side turn signal/light, and I think it is my rear diff. that is squeaking because I just had the wheel bearings replaced, so its not that. I need to put in a new exhaust that I found and get a new rear spoiler put on. I also need to install a new rear panel, the plastic thing that says SVX on it.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Willsnow,

Go to the Yahoo SVX Club (Groups). Send a message to Preston. Pdsides is his screen name. He is a retired SVXer who lives in Texas. I don't know exactly where in Texas (it's a big state).
He may be able to help you.
Good Luck.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 01-30-2004, 04:46 AM
willsnow

Any state that you can drive 6 hours in any direction from the center and not cross a state line is a big state indeed.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by willsnow
I need my bumper fixed, my hoses changed, a new right side turn signal/light, and I think it is my rear diff. that is squeaking because I just had the wheel bearings replaced, so its not that. I need to put in a new exhaust that I found and get a new rear spoiler put on. I also need to install a new rear panel, the plastic thing that says SVX on it.
With a pair of pliers, a phillips screwdriver and a 10mm wrench you should be able to do the following yourself:

- change hoses
- change turn signal
- replace the rear panel
- replace the spoiler (unless you never had one)

The squeaking is probably the bushings.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:00 PM
willsnow

I am in no way mechanically inclined. I probably have no business even driving a car. What are bushings?
Old 01-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Meow!

Bushings help eliminate vibrations between the suspension and the body by separating 2 pieces of metal with rubber (or urethane). Sometimes the rubber rubs against the metal and squeaks (especially when it's cold)
Old 01-30-2004, 05:33 PM
boundsie

Watch out! David is sliding you closer to doing mechanical work. If you screw up and actually try it, you'll find out it's not too mysterious and all of us shade-tree machanics will lose our mystique and you'll find out we don't know anything you can't learn pretty quick and it'll be just awful. Just awful.

Bounds
Old 01-30-2004, 05:39 PM
Meow!

I'm no mechanic by any means. These are a few things that anyone should be able to do on their own. They are easier to do than changing the oil!!

The front signal lights are held in by one screw.
The taillights are all held in by the same size nuts.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:14 PM
boundsie

See, see? He's leading you down that path. One screw! Same size nuts! He didn't even mention the wires you have to unplug!
Old 01-31-2004, 02:42 PM
Meow!

About those wires you have to unplug...you don't have to. Just remove the bulbs. The wires may be clipped to the assembly but that's it.

What I'm trying to say is that you would have no difficulty figuring it out.