How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-14-2004, 09:27 PM
SVX-Utah

Engine warming for cold weather

I have been having the typical cold starting problems with my '92.
I believe it to be the injectors freezing and only when the weather is below 30F and humidity is high - Fog and such.
Is there any type of engine warmers for the SVX I could use to keep the area near the injectors warm enough to start with ease?

Any ideas, suggestions, tips?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-15-2004, 07:04 AM
Green1995SVX

you may want to replace your coolant temp sensor.

mike
Old 01-15-2004, 09:37 AM
nextcubepro

Re: Engine warming for cold weather

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX-Utah
I have been having the typical cold starting problems with my '92.
I believe it to be the injectors freezing and only when the weather is below 30F and humidity is high - Fog and such.
Is there any type of engine warmers for the SVX I could use to keep the area near the injectors warm enough to start with ease?

Any ideas, suggestions, tips?

Thanks,
Mark
What are the "typical" cold start problems in an SVX, just out of curiosity?
Old 01-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
With a faulty coolant sensor the engine fans will be on even when the engine is cold. The engine barely starts and when it does it has no high idle. For some reason it seems to also lurch and stall when you put it into gear when it's cold.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:38 PM
SVX-Utah

The coolant sensor is ok

The symptoms i'm having are:
Starter cranks with normal full power
Engine does not fire unless accelorator is depressed and engine cranked for approx 20-30 seconds.

When started first time after sitting in cold for over 5 hours
engine runs as if only a few cylinders are firing until engine runs for about 2-5 minutes then runs smooth with no hesitation or adverse problems.
Once warmed up it starts fine no hesitation.

I am looking specificly for something to maintain the temperature around the top engine area to prevent any condensation freezing around the injectors.

I know they have a block heater - oil warmer, but are there any other accesories or chemicals to be used with gasoline that would help prevent the freezing in the injectors? any make-shift ideas?
Old 01-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It does sound like the coolant temp sensor to me. Can you get some gas-line antifreeze (isopropyl) to see if that helps?

I'm starting mine at near 0°F temperatures without plugging it in.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:58 PM
red95svx

it's VERY COLD in Mass......

We've had wind chills in the -30's lately and my SVX starts up, although a little slow (my 94 SVX....the one without the engine warmer). If you wanted to keep the top of your engine warm you could always throw some of those chemical hand warmer packets under your hood. Of course, you'll want to remove those before you start the car the next day.......

Actually, you could buy a battery warmer from your local Suby dealer and lay it out flat on your engine.

Dave
Old 01-16-2004, 05:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: it's VERY COLD in Mass......

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
We've had wind chills in the -30's lately and my SVX starts up, although a little slow (my 94 SVX....the one without the engine warmer).
Wind chills mean little to cars. To get a more accurate description of your car's operation, please tell us the actual temperature.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-16-2004, 05:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: it's VERY COLD in Mass......

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
Actually, you could buy a battery warmer from your local Suby dealer and lay it out flat on your engine.
And I don't know that this would help at all. I think the only way it would do any good is if you somehow fastened it to your oil pan. Laying it on top of the intake plenum won't do a thing, and it would take some doing to stuff it under the plenum, directly onto the block.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-16-2004, 08:44 PM
A Little bit less Junior

cold

Have you run any gas dryer/antifreeze thru your car lately? Fuel injectors don't like ice crystals. I run 2 cans per year in mine, at the same time. If water is in there it may run ratty for a tankful.

Also in Family: '04 Nissan Murano, '98 Lex GS 400, '81 Accord, & '88 Civic w/ an Acura ZC engine.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Starting

Hi Mark, Buy a couple of cantainers of "Dry Gas" and put them in before you fill up. If you can find Gasahol, fill up once a month after that in the winter. Also be sure to us at least 91 cotane gas of good quality. Not brand X gas.That octane may not exist in your area. You might get away with that in the summer, but not in super cold weather. You are also at a higher altitude than most of us, so that would be a factor as well. Have your plugs been replaced? If you have over 100,000 miles on your car with original plugs it might be time to replace them. Many have posted that they changed plugs at 100,000 miles plus and the old plugs looked like new. But they also have reported that performance improved with new plugs. So appearances can confuse you. Hope you problem goes away. Take care, BOBB
Old 01-17-2004, 06:26 PM
red95svx

I'M SARCASTIC

My comments were meant more as a joke than anything.....come on now....HAND WARMERS??? That's supposed to be funny! Some of you read too deeply into what is posted........

Dave

p.s. Really hot water keeps engines from getting cold too.