How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-08-2003, 02:08 AM
deruvian

power steering line leak?

This weekend is another "pamper the car" weekend for me (replacing rear rotors and brakes this time), and I wanted to check out this leak problem...

Whenever I push the car, as in hard-accelerate, the leak seems to get worse and more smoke starts billowing out from underneath my car (it gets on the exhaust lines). My last SVX had this same issue, and it was eventually narrowed down to a power steering line just before it was totaled. I have a feeling this is the same issue, and would think that it would most likely be the power steering high-pressure line.

Does anyone know where about that line is located so I can look at it? Also, does anyone know of any other common leaks? Thanks a ton!
Old 11-09-2003, 09:00 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
The line is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment under the intake tubing. Search for "power steering return hose". I think one of the threads had a pic of its location. Another common PS leak is the O-ring between the pump and the resivour (sp?). Oil leaks are common from the valve covers and cam and crank seals. Welcome

Edit: Sorry it's probably too late, I haven't been online all weekend because I was pampering mine as well.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I did the O-ring fix awhile back. That slowed down the leak considerably, but after many weeks now (more than enough time for the old oil to have dripped off, I would think) I still find a few drops underneath each morning. So I think one of the PS lines or clamps has a tiny hole.

Here's the pic of the power steering return hose: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...&postid=134815

posted in this thread Massive smoke and oil leak.

And here's a diagram of the PS system, on SubaruParts.com
Old 11-11-2003, 09:57 AM
No longer blue member

Yup, thats the pic I was talking about

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-11-2003, 04:04 PM
deruvian

That pic was kinda hard to decipher for a minute! I did look under my car this weekend, and the leak definitely had caused quite a bit of buildup... Most of which appeared to be in that area. I'll have to check it out again this weekend, and make a decision on the repairs. I'm not sure if it's something I can do myself or not.

Also, the top of my power steering well develops fluid buildup almost everyday. It's probably just the seal from the O-ring, right?

Beast: What was your pampering this weekend? The rear brakes and rotors were much, much easier than I had expected them to be... Only, one of my tires had this massive crack on the inside sidewall. It went almost 1/4 the way around the tire, and almost through every layer. 1 new Yokohama ES100 Z-rated = $135! I just love spending cash unexpectedly!
Old 11-11-2003, 04:57 PM
No longer blue member

I rebuilt all four calipers and changed my transmission filter.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Rolling diameter??

Deruvian,

Putting on one tire could cost you a lot more than 135 bucks.

The accepted wisdom and factory recommendation is that you replace all four, and put on replacements that are all the same, i.e. no Yokahamas on the front and trying out new Pirellis on the back.

The reason for this is the need to have all four tires the same rolling diameter to avoid putting strain on the 4wd diffs. Personally, I have replaced two tires only with no known ill effects, but it was when the the full set was pretty new due to pothole blow-outs.

You could try adjusting the rolling diameter by the tire pressure if the new tire has a lot more tread on it. See they are at correct pressure [34F, 30R] and measure the rolling radius by accurately measuring how far from the ground the top dead centre of each wheel rim is. They should be all exactly the same value on level ground. If your new tire is showing higher due to the extra tread depth, reduce the air in it until the height is the same as the other three. Your rolling radii should now all match, and you will not damage the differentials.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-11-2003, 06:07 PM
deruvian

Re: Rolling diameter??

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Putting on one tire could cost you a lot more than 135 bucks.

The accepted wisdom and factory recommendation is that you replace all four, and put on replacements that are all the same, i.e. no Yokahamas on the front and trying out new Pirellis on the back.

The reason for this is the need to have all four tires the same rolling diameter to avoid putting strain on the 4wd diffs. Personally, I have replaced two tires only with no known ill effects, but it was when the the full set was pretty new due to pothole blow-outs.

You could try adjusting the rolling diameter by the tire pressure if the new tire has a lot more tread on it. See they are at correct pressure [34F, 30R] and measure the rolling radius by accurately measuring how far from the ground the top dead centre of each wheel rim is. They should be all exactly the same value on level ground. If your new tire is showing higher due to the extra tread depth, reduce the air in it until the height is the same as the other three. Your rolling radii should now all match, and you will not damage the differentials.
The other 3 tires on my car are all Yokohama, with around 50% - 60% tread left. I definitely appreciate your concern, but my SVX is front wheel drive only. While I'm sure it is always better to drive with a fully matching set, especially with AWD, I'm also pretty sure that I should be ok with this single new one. However, I am planning on replacing the other 3 as soon as I possibly can (in about 2 weeks).

I was also thinking about getting one other new tire, and then placing both on the front... Since the drive tires wear more than the others, and I don't power slide around every corner, it may be a viable solution.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:19 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

OK

I did not realise you were 2wd, so the 4 matching is less critical.

You are doing exactly as I do with our fwd Honda, replace 2 tires at a time, and put the good ones on the front. They get more wear from driving, more wear from braking, and most importantly, it is good to have a well treaded tire up front to prevent aquaplaning in the wet and to give good braking when you need it.

I never liked the idea of wearing all the tires down evenly by rotation. It means when they are nearly gone, you have very little grip for handling or braking. With two good ones on the front, you have a better margin of safety for more of the time.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-11-2003, 07:46 PM
deruvian

That definitely sounds like a much more affordable thing to do! There's nothin wrong with having more $ for other things
Old 11-12-2003, 02:55 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Yessssir!!

And plenty of things on an SVX to spend them hard-earned $s on.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl