SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-15-2003, 02:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: ooops

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

You ONE don't you?
what is that suppose to mean Johnny boy??

Kelli be nice or i'll send Charlie after ya!
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Crash

who pulled the plug

Wow! I bet this kicker fellow never expected such a heated debate over one little uninformed claim. I try to stay away from this stuff but I agree with chicane. You know we really need to watch the claims we make and how we make them. There are a lot of people who maybe just bought an svx looking for info like most of us did at first. Why screw them up. "Stupidity" as earlier stated doesn't have to be from an unintelligent person but maybe an uninformed person. So to everyone: First make these claims into questions (i.e. I have heard the chrome stem caps add 5 hp. what do y'all think?) see? Although I do like to read chicanes rants, they might make people mad but they are usually right, we can't get too offended at what he says, because the majority of us feel the same way.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:15 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Re: who pulled the plug

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash
Wow! I bet this kicker fellow never expected such a heated debate over one little uninformed claim. I try to stay away from this stuff but I agree with chicane. You know we really need to watch the claims we make and how we make them. There are a lot of people who maybe just bought an svx looking for info like most of us did at first. Why screw them up. "Stupidity" as earlier stated doesn't have to be from an unintelligent person but maybe an uninformed person. So to everyone: First make these claims into questions (i.e. I have heard the chrome stem caps add 5 hp. what do y'all think?) see? Although I do like to read chicanes rants, they might make people mad but they are usually right, we can't get too offended at what he says, because the majority of us feel the same way.
THANK YOU

It's very good to hear that there are other people here who don't feel like listening to BS all day. I'm sorry if I come off 'angry', but if you don't post unsupported BS, you have nothing to worry about.

And you know what? We're not the only ones who feel this way. I've talked to some others who are behind what I've said.

- Rob

PS: Pockets: I wrote a 2 page response to your PM, but then I hit a button that somehow selected all the text and replaced it with 'rr', and it was freaking gone. I'm so annoyed that I'll try again tomorrow but I'm not retyping the whole thing today. ARgh.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: who pulled the plug

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
PS: Pockets: I wrote a 2 page response to your PM, but then I hit a button that somehow selected all the text and replaced it with 'rr', and it was freaking gone. I'm so annoyed that I'll try again tomorrow but I'm not retyping the whole thing today. ARgh.
I can only imagine what came out of your mouth - and what would have come out of mine.

And, as I've said to you before, Rob, I don't disagree with the substance of your posts - just the words you use and manner with which you use them. The same things make me angry, but if I want to set somebody straight or get all the facts, I know that calling them names and attacking them personally is not going to get me anywhere. When you do that, your point is lost and nobody gains.

I've said that before, and it still applies.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Handling the crap,!!!!!!!!

Rob, I sit and read the reports of amazing power gains that the latest and greatest devices will give.

The way to handle these claimants is to let them talk. Don't cut them off in their prime. They will tell you all they know in about two paragraphs. Then you can cut them up.

I mean QUOTE :

Description of Test: CLR Research Engine Test (5W30 "energy conserving" motor oils)

Engine Type Fuel Savings Emissions Reductions4
Royal Purple® vs.
Brand Name mineral oil Gasoline 4.5%
@1200 RPM

5.0%
@1600 RPM
NOx was over 50% lower @1200 RPM where complete combustion occurred. CO levels with RP were low at all loads - RP tended to prevent incomplete combustion.
Royal Purple® vs.
Premium synthetic oil Gasoline 2.5%
@1200 RPM

3.0%
@1600 RPM "

What do these numbers prove.? "NOx was over 50% lower @1200 RPM."

Oxides of Nitrogen are caused by high combustion chamber temps. How hot do you think the chamber would be at 1200 RPM? thats a fast idle Why did they not test it at full power?

"RP tended to prevent incomplete combustion."

That would have to be the most outrageous statement that I have seen in print.

Stay cool Rob, let them undo themself. Just be paitent.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Re: Handling the crap,!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
Rob, I sit and read the reports of amazing power gains that the latest and greatest devices will give.

The way to handle these claimants is to let them talk. Don't cut them off in their prime. They will tell you all they know in about two paragraphs. Then you can cut them up.
Uh oh. I suppose kicker wants to put you outside so the iraqis can shoot at you!

Actually, Kicker if you are still reading I would like to know where in Iraq you might be talking about. One of my friends brothers is in the special forces, and they get shot at everyday. Judging by your post about oil, I'm guessing you aren't even near the frontline.

- Rob
Old 10-15-2003, 07:13 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I was hoping that this would be informational. Who am I kidding?
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-15-2003, 07:36 PM

Following up on Porter's post if I might (but not disputing anything therein),

I thought I'd add that Royal Purple's normal line (not racing oil) is mostly PAO and pretty much in line with the (mostly PAO) Mobil products (who by the way makes the PAO base stock for most other US small market brands including AMSOIL). Motul gets their base stock from Fuchs (any Euro readers of this thread - what can you say about them?). I have no idea about Silkolene base stock source. High ester brands for street use are Motul, Silkolene and Redline, but exclude Mobil 1 and Royal Purple - not sure about Neo and there are many other niche market brands.

My readings indicate that esters can tolerate higher temps than PAO before destructive breakdown of the fluid (actually I "think" it's shearing of the molecules under heat and pressure). PAO is still better than straight Dino or "fake" synthetics like Castrol, et al. However, esters also have problems, seal swelling, and according to TSBs from both Ford and Honda, can accelerate organic clutch plate deterioration (what's inside the 4EAT?).

IMHO, it's all in the balance of the formulation - heavily weighted by the additive package - no pure oil, PAO, or ester (or combination of these alone) is any good.

We need a chemist/tribologist on the forum - and we need analysis to tell us truth - else we just trade opinions & hearsay (like I've just given) around 'til we all get tired.

but then again...trading opinions...at least it's usually fun
Old 10-16-2003, 10:36 AM

schaffers

We recently switched to schaffers, its a synthetic blend, for our race motors. Mobil 1 is no good to us (even the racing oil) because it doesn't have enough zinc to stick to the lifters. Our current "workhorse" that we run weekly is a 380 c.i. all aluminum small block chevy. It puts out 810 dyno proven horse. It costs $27,500. Our motor builder, at this time the top motor builder for dirt latemodel racing, has worn out motors on his dyno checking which oil was better. Lifters fail with mobil one in these motors, and when lifters fail all hell breaks loose. Mind you we are trying to get 12-1500 laps out of these motors before complete freshenings ($5500). We are very very serious about what products we put in them, and will ALWAYS go with what our builder suggests.

Just wanted to let you know that there are others out there that don't believe all the mobil 1 hype, just some of it.

Now if we're talking about ATF, man that mobil 1 made the SVX shift as smooth as silk.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:12 AM

Re: yes there is a thrill

Quote:
Originally posted by 01kickerlaidsvx
but no I'm no synthetic oil missionary. after conversating with these guys...
Did you just make up a new word?