Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 09-20-2003, 07:07 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks Wolf,

I agree aluminium would be better but I thought of urethane on the basis of having them produced one off. It is very interesting that these components are available as accessories for the Mustang and this information makes me wonder why the prospect has not been mentioned here in the mods section. But on second thoughts a realise that most of the interest is only in what can be seen or heard and talked about.

Hi again Joe,

What I desire is for some messages through the steering wheel. I donŐt think much in the way of noise would come up the steering column. I am not suggesting suspension bushes as well.

We too have our traffic problems in a big way and that is the very reason I have the SVX. My wife spends a lot of time in traffic, otherwise there is no way I would be involved with a slush box. As we now have only a two car garage the SVX was the best interesting compromise I could find and I have been very happy with it.

Cheers, Trevor. *<)

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Phil & Belha

Handling

I've always been very impressed with the SVX's handling and I'm particularly impressed by the way it turns into corners at high speed.

It's not easy to test the limits on the public road, but I've never known it to understeer or oversteer under power. I have had lift-off oversteer (and spun 90 to 180) on three occasions, but this was cured by replacing the rear tires and running them at a slighly lower pressure. On each occasion it was very easy to recover control.

Have fun on the race track, I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

Phil.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Speed differences.

When we look at top speed, there will be some differences in the models. The HP varies with the fuel. The WSM shows a non catalyst model running on leaded fuel, and low octane versions.
Along with this there is the difference in the final drive ratio, we got 3.7:1, the US got 3.454:1. Although the top speed is pegged, the way the car accelerates to it will be different.
My Australian model has accelerated to 240kph. on the dial then hit the limiter. Although I have not timed it over the 1/4, I am sure it would be quicker than the US version.

I have allways wondered at some of the handling reports from the US, UNDERSTEER !!!!! How do you get it? I don't press it around suburban streets, but I certainly press it hard out west and have found it to be most forgiving Wish the police were.

I am certain that the AWD does make the car handle differently. The torque distribution, as Joe says, has a starting point in the US model of 90% front 10% rear, under full throttle this changes to 50 / 50 front, rear. This split will also vary with speed, throttle position, gear position and the difference in front to rear rotation, as in cornering. Though under most conditions it will be mainly front wheel drive, with the rear wheel assist.

The European version AWD starts at 36% front, 64% rear, full throttle it goes to 50/50 the same . As with the US model it varies under the same conditions of speed gear etc.

Lift the foot in a corner, the US mod loses the rear drive to oversteer. Do the same to the European mod, nothing changes, still 64% rear drive.

In the handling department, the rear sits too high, to enable it to carry an extra 500lbs, in 3 rear seat people and luggage, the Aust. mod sits 0.5" higher than other models, so it gets a bit tail happy. I feel it would benefit from stiffer bushes in the rear lower lateral links. These are big rubber bushes that allow the rear to move across the wheels as the bushes compress, to give a 'settling into corners' feeling

I would not put hard bushes in the steering, as the designers have done a great job of preventing the dreaded 'rack and pinion rattle' from reaching the cabin.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:32 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Speed differences.

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

I would not put hard bushes in the steering, as the designers have done a great job of preventing the dreaded 'rack and pinion rattle' from reaching the cabin.

Harvey.
I am confident there will be no rattle with this being compensated for within the the rack assembly. We are not dealing with an early BMC product.

Uninterrupted and positive feel is exactly what I require as a driver. When close to the limit tactility is desirable so as to be aware of exactly what is going on and what is about to happen. I do however understand the requirements of passive drivers who comprise the majority of buyers. .

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-22-2003 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Got to love the knowledge on here!!

I have only ever lost the SVX once and that was on the Old Pacific Highway and was really pushing it - but a three dimensional aspect change (uphill, camber to the left and turn to the right) at speed, after just coming out of a reverse turn, was too much for physics to be ignored and ....yeeeeeeee haaaaaa...as the back stepped out.

I managed to catch it, and was poo-pooing myself at the time ("my insurance!") but now I look back and with each recollection, I am sure that a minor step out has become a tyre-shredding powerslide of Tiff Needell proportions!!

Overall, a ridiculously grippy car!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 09-23-2003, 11:43 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
i started to loose her My first time auto-xing, you can hear it and rob goes "woah" in my video. ITs a very controllable car, you need a bit more power to loose it violently.....unless conditons permit....
phil
Old 09-23-2003, 02:59 PM

Smile

In my opinion the SVX handle better than most 4wd cars around.
I can really provoke it with high speed turns and what ever I throw at it, it seem's to take.
Regarding top-speeds, I have measured it with my GPS,
at serveral occasions, I have easily reached 255km/h, and then the speedo reads 260km/h (full scale is 260km/h) (the third gear takes me to about 225km/h)
The car handles like a god in those speeds, and on Monday, when I was on my way to my work (400km!! single way!! .. and.. I JUST LOVE IT!!) I came to a close combat with a Porsche 911 ... he slipstreamed me for about 50km, averaging about 170km/h, and then, on a looong straight, the devil ran into me and I floored it ... and left him in the dust ... seeing a little bit over 260km/h! (all times high!)
Now, don't think that I always drive so fast, but every now and then I can't resist, and it is sooo fun to wipe-off certain jerks!
I don't know if european models handle differently than US models, but my car, for example never understeers and it is
VERY firm in the shocks and rollbars.

As the HP regards, I have (back at -91) heard that the Japanese version had 250HP, and that it was taken down to 230HP on export models.
This is in fact true on other Subarus, like the early Legacy Turbos and modern Impreza Turbos, they have 220 & 235 HP's in Japan!
Old 09-23-2003, 04:59 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
[B]In my opinion the SVX handle better than most 4wd cars around.
I can really provoke it with high speed turns and what ever I throw at it, it seem's to take.

I don't know if european models handle differently than US models, but my car, for example never understeers and it is
VERY firm in the shocks and rollbars.

]
Sonar, I have been raising thie issue for some time and at long last I am getting some sensible feed back from a few who obviously have the required ability to pass accurate judgement regarding the cars handling.

The strange fact is that the US and Japanese models ( the latter is what I have ) record the same specifications for spring rates and roll/sway bar diameters. This leaves only damper settings as possibly effecting the equation, apart from driver input that is.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: