How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-19-2003, 02:48 PM
alacrity024

A/C Woes..

So over the winter, my AC system started smoking and squealing, chewed up the belt and spat it out. I said "screw it, it's December.. I don't need A/C" and forgot about it. Well now I'm paying for it.. it's hotter than hell and the SVX's windows don't exactly allow for proper cabin ventilation unless you're going about 80mph.

The first issue was to replace the A/C idler pulley.. the old one had thrown its bearings. I replaced it, put a new belt on, and put the Auto temp. at 65.. for a minute nothing, then smoke. I jumped out of the car and looked at the compressor.. everything was spinning fine.. the outermost wheel was engaged and was spinning smoothly. The back end of the compressor seemed to be smoking and it was sporradically spitting a yellow-green fluid out..

does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue might be????

-adam
Old 07-19-2003, 06:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Re: A/C Woes..

I believe that's the color of the freeon...or at least R134 is kinda that color, but I'm guessing that R12 is too. It sounds like you might be in for a new compressor, or at least a rebuild of some sort.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
The back end of the compressor seemed to be smoking and it was sporradically spitting a yellow-green fluid out..

does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue might be????
Old 07-20-2003, 12:02 AM

R12 is a colorless gas. Comes out as a white smoke. R12 Oil is just a mineral oil - kinda yellow. A green dye may have been added to the system previously to troubleshoot for freon leaks. It does not come with dye from factory, but it is a common practice to add the dye when searching for leaks.

Why does it come out from the back of compressor - it has an over-pressure valve that protects compressor from self-destruction if the pressure builds too high. Most likely reason for too high pressure is a blockage somewhere in the high-pressure line. Crushed high-pressure lines is one distinct possibility, blocked filter-drier or evaporator valve is another.

Check the high pressure lines visually, check front condenser for blockage (does your engine tend to overheat?)

Dont try to run A/C until you found and fixed the problem - you risk destroying the compressor and you are losing freon.

One method of finding obstructions is checking the high-pressure line temperatures as you go from compressor to condenser, filter-dryer and to evap valve. A sharp temperature drop will indicate a point of obstruction. Unfortunately it requires running the A/C - something I would not risk doing on my car...
Old 07-20-2003, 09:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Just the other day I asked about the cost of recharging the R12 in our 92's and the quote I got was $80/lb and $40 labor! Good thing mine's still plenty cold, but I know it won't stay that way forever.

KuoH